Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obscure occurrence in football , what is the outcome?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I remember at Withdean an opposition goalkeeper taking a goalkick and the striker coming back from an offside position and EVERYONE shouting "HE'S offside lino!"

A man in front then turned and said "Actually. you can't be offside from a goalkick" at which point the whole F block went "REALLY?". It was quite amusing hearing the chinese whispers get passed along the South stand as people informed those next to them of this unknown phenomenon.

Needless to say, if anyone on Sunday league ever shouts for a similar offside we now smugly say "Didn't you know you can't be offside from a goalkick?"

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know that I've expressed a similar opinion on this thread, but I have to confess my previous complete ignorance of the law that says that a dropped ball kicked directly into the goal by an attacking player results in ... a goal kick (or a corner, if it's a defender who "scores"). Thanks to Acker79 for that information.

Just to confirm, I DID know that. And I'm only 25.

I remember at Withdean an opposition goalkeeper taking a goalkick and the striker coming back from an offside position and EVERYONE shouting "HE'S offside lino!"

A man in front then turned and said "Actually. you can't be offside from a goalkick" at which point the whole F block went "REALLY?". It was quite amusing hearing the chinese whispers get passed along the South stand as people informed those next to them of this unknown phenomenon.

Needless to say, if anyone on Sunday league ever shouts for a similar offside we now smugly say "Didn't you know you can't be offside from a goalkick?"

I remember something exactly the same, I'd like to think it was the same situation! :lolol: People told me I was a moron for saying they were wrong.... [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION], do you remember this?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ok, one from me. The ball is passed back to the goalkeeper but before it reaches him a dog runs onto the pitch and dribbles the ball past the keeper and into the net. Is it a goal?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No. It is outside interference. Much like the Liverpool beach ball that scored for Sunderland after Darren bent's shot deflected off it. That SHOULD have been ruled out.

I bet I'm wrong now.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I would probably just throw the ball behind me as a referee, works better as the players don't expect it.

What a fantastic innovation that would be. Probably legal too, the ref throwing the ball somewhere of his choosing and watching the players tearing after it like hounds. Marvelous scenes

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
No. It is outside interference. Much like the Liverpool beach ball that scored for Sunderland after Darren bent's shot deflected off it. That SHOULD have been ruled out.

I bet I'm wrong now.

Nope, that is absolutely correct.

However the referee is not an outside agent. Therefore, technically the ball can rebound off the ref and be a goal.

The makes me wonder; can a ball be played off of a linesman (as long as the whole ball doesn't cross the line) in a similar way to how the ball is played off the wall in a 5-a-side game?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I would assume that if a player takes a penalty, lt hits the post bounces in and is put in the net by another player running in, its a goal. But I understand that if a player falls over taking a penalty, he touches the ball and the ball rolls forward, no other player can rush in and stick it into the back of the net. What is the exact ruling on this?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I would assume that if a player takes a penalty, lt hits the post bounces in and is put in the net by another player running in, its a goal. But I understand that if a player falls over taking a penalty, he touches the ball and the ball rolls forward, no other player can rush in and stick it into the back of the net. What is the exact ruling on this?

I beleive as long as the ball has had 1 full revolution (is that the word) then any other player can then kick it. You've seen Arsenal (cock up) in the past an attempt where Henry wanted to tap the ball forward for Pires to then run in and kick, however Henry failed to kick it at the right time and it all went a bit shambolic.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I know that I've expressed a similar opinion on this thread, but I have to confess my previous complete ignorance of the law that says that a dropped ball kicked directly into the goal by an attacking player results in ... a goal kick (or a corner, if it's a defender who "scores"). Thanks to Acker79 for that information.

To be fair to you, that is a new rule and was introduced at the start of this season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I beleive as long as the ball has had 1 full revolution (is that the word) then any other player can then kick it. You've seen Arsenal (cock up) in the past an attempt where Henry wanted to tap the ball forward for Pires to then run in and kick, however Henry failed to kick it at the right time and it all went a bit shambolic.

It was Pires to Henry. And it was hilarious. Only 1-0 to Arsenal at the time, against Man City at Highbury. They show it on Premiership Years. :lolol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

It would need to be something more as you could e.g. pass back for someone else to run in and score

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Hmm... thought something has changed... anyone know for sure?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

So when there is an un contested drop ball and is effectively given back to the opposing team it in invariably kick back to the goalkeeper.
How funny would it be if the goalkeeper deliberately allow it roll past him into the goal as to waste more time (as currently winning the game) for a goal kick.
Imagine the crowd reaction, His supporters having heart attacks and hurling abuse and opposition supporters cheering and laughing until hopefully the referees awards the correct goal kick.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm just glad I gave up refereeing, so many obscure Laws, and getting the balance right between using common sense and applying the rules fairly and consistently - did my head in sometimes.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011

So, AEA has a free kick close to our goal. As there's an opposition player close, he passes it back to PIG.

The opposition player, seeing the pass, charges it knowing PIG can't pick it up.

I suppose PIG would be best advised to shield the ball and shepherd it in to his own net (resulting in a corner)?

CRAZY scenes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here