Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Obscure occurrence in football , what is the outcome?

A quick look at the laws of the game tells me that, when a team gets a freekick in their own area, the ball isn't in play until it leaves the area. Never knew that - I though that only applied to goalkicks
I'm astonished that there are people here who have been watching football for decades (and even playing it for years) who have never registered the FACT that you NEVER see a goalkeeper (or any other player) take a free kick from within the penalty area that doesn't leave the area before being touched by another player.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm astonished that there are people here who have been watching football for decades (and even playing it for years) who have never registered the FACT that you NEVER see a goalkeeper (or any other player) take a free kick from within the penalty area that doesn't leave the area before being touched by another player.

When it came to freekicks in the area I always assumed that was because it would be a bit pointless rolling the freekick to someone next to you rather than it being part of the rules

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

But you very rarely play it such a short distance. A small free kick is taken in midfield to get the impotus and momentum back on the ball and expose the opposition defence who may be out of position.

If a goalkeeper gets a free kick in his box, the FIRST thing he would want is for his two centre halves to re-set in their starting position and then play it to them. They wouldn't re-set their position in the box.

So I would say it's not THAT daft to have never noticed. You never see a keeper fouled and hear someone shout "Play it quickly to El Abd".

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Someone answer d the second question correctly, it IS NOT a backpass:

The law on back passes is clear: it defines them as a ball "deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate". This was not the case, so the keeper has done nothing wrong by picking the ball up

Third One, more of a question really.

How many players are allowed to contest a drop ball from each team?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Its not a free kick because its denying a goal. In that situation, even if it had been a deliberate backpass and tommy horribly misjudged it and misses the ball he can use his hands to stop a certain goal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I've been watching football since the mid-80s. I only noticed this season that it tends to be full backs who take throw ins. I always assumed it was like free-kicks - whoever was best at them took them.

I think most fans don't tend to actually look at the rules. They get the basic gist of the game, and just assume they know better than the ref, often just because they play for a sunday pub team so have experience.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
How many players are allowed to contest a drop ball from each team?

Traditionally one from each team, although as far as I know there is nothing officially stating how many so there is nothing to stop the entire team surrounding the ball. As long as they wait until it touches the ground before kicking it, there is no issue.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Traditionally one from each team, although as far as I know there is nothing officially stating how many so there is nothing to stop the entire team surrounding the ball. As long as they wait until it touches the ground before kicking it, there is no issue.

Correct, technically you could put in as many people as possible for a drop ball

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Would be quite funny to see twenty players surround the ref waiting for him to drop the ball, like dogs waiting for their dinner to be put down for them

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Would be quite funny to see twenty players surround the ref waiting for him to drop the ball, like dogs waiting for their dinner to be put down for them

I would probably just throw the ball behind me as a referee, works better as the players don't expect it.

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
This being NSC, and pedantry being actively encouraged, aren't at least one person from each side required to contest a drop ball? So the answer is that between 2 and 22 people are allowed to contest a drop ball.

It is often only one though if the ball is being returned to the side that was in possession as is the etiquette* for stappages for injuries.

* unless you are Arsenal.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Next One then:

Bridcutt has the ball and goes to pass it back to Upson, the ball however takes a horrible bounce and Matthew misses it completely just outside the penalty area, Kuszczak sees a striker running in and before the forward can get there he dives on the ball just inside his area.

What is the decision?

Surely this is open to interpritation and whether the ref decides the back pass was intentional or not.

Also dives on the ball, if it doesnt hit his arms then thats fine only a back pass if he touches with his arms.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think I've probably got this wrong, but I had it in my head that you needed two players (one from each side) present at a drop ball, even if it was to be effectively 'uncontested'.

dropped ball.jpg

Looking at that, no player has to be present.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I think its shocking that posters are admitting such ignorance of the rules. I suppose it answers some of the vocal complaints you here during the game when its obvious that the ref is correct.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It doesn't matter what happens. Kuszczak won't be blamed. :jester:

The backpass rule is beautiful, I only wish keepers would get it wrong more and we'd see more free-kicks from inside the area. It's fantastic entertainment, massively dramatic and you discover which players are men and unafraid of the ball, and which men are like Samir Nasri...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I think its shocking that posters are admitting such ignorance of the rules. I suppose it answers some of the vocal complaints you here during the game when its obvious that the ref is correct.

Hear. Don't you start. :moo:

I know that I've expressed a similar opinion on this thread, but I have to confess my previous complete ignorance of the law that says that a dropped ball kicked directly into the goal by an attacking player results in ... a goal kick (or a corner, if it's a defender who "scores"). Thanks to Acker79 for that information.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here