Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Orgreave.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Burnham is bleating that there should be an inquiry, but his party had more than a decade to set such an inquiry up.

Right - and...?

Burnham isn't 'bleating' - he's campaigning.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Disgusting and violent certainly, but suspect they were acting under orders from a higher authority (government), so if anything it would be that higher authority that would be culpable, rather than the police themselves. Still high time that that whole police force was disbanded, like the B Specials were in Northern Ireland, and replaced with a completely new police force, IMHO.

Only because someone is ordered to do something illegal doesn't absolve them of blame.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Disgusting and violent certainly, but suspect they were acting under orders from a higher authority (government), so if anything it would be that higher authority that would be culpable, rather than the police themselves. Still high time that that whole police force was disbanded, like the B Specials were in Northern Ireland, and replaced with a completely new police force, IMHO.

Quite. But Amber Rudd has decided that that won't be the case.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Only because someone is ordered to do something illegal doesn't absolve them of blame.

Oh yes - the guards at the gas chamber argument. Not sure it applies here - they probably were acting technically within the law, especially if ordered to do so by the democratically elected executive. They did appear to be a bit(!!!) over-enthusiastic though!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
So why didn't he 'campaign' for an inquiry when his party was in power?

What's that got to do with it?

He got on board with the Orgreave campaign when he saw where the Hillsborough campaign was going. The Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign (OTJC) was only formed in 2012 as a direct result of the Hillsborough findings.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh yes - the guards at the gas chamber argument. Not sure it applies here - they probably were acting technically within the law, especially if ordered to do so by the democratically elected executive. They did appear to be a bit(!!!) over-enthusiastic though!

A democratically elected executive as no legal right to ignore the law. Some of those officers committed assault. Don't get me wrong, the miners were no angels but that doesn't excuse police officers breaking the law.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A democratically elected executive as no legal right to ignore the law. Some of those officers committed assault. Don't get me wrong, the miners were no angels but that doesn't excuse police officers breaking the law.
No, but they can make the law, and within existing laws there are various emergency powers which they can invoke, I believe (and no, I don't know exact details, as I'm not a constitutional law expert). There was no excuse for the police to re-enact the charge of the Light Brigade though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm with #TeamAmber on this. Her suggestion that employers should state the number of foreign workers they employ followed by this decision indicates she could be the best Home Secretary of all time. I'm just gutted that Andrea Leadsom didn't win the race to be PM. Pictures of the pair of them would be perfect when having a Jodrell.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
The book 'A coalfield in chaos' by Ken Ambler discussed the events at Orgreave in vivid detail ('Bloody Monday').

My late stepfather gave me a copy, as his niece was mentioned in it having been involved on the picket line while a university student in Yorkshire (and sadly losing her life during the strike following a cycling accident).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Disgraceful decision not to hold an inquiry. Only yesterday a policeman, who was there on the day, told BBC News they ( the police) were told by senior officers what to write up in their reports. This is exactly the same behaviour employed by the police at Hillsborough. It looks very much like a another stitch up by the West Yorkshire Police. It needs looking at.

I used to play football with a former copper who had been among those bussed up to Yorkshire during the miners' strike. He told me that there was violence from both sides but that he saw policeman who needed very little encouragement to wade in. When he mentioned it to a superior he was told in no uncertain terms that he hadn't seen anything of the sort.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Disgraceful decision not to hold an inquiry. Only yesterday a policeman, who was there on the day, told BBC News they ( the police) were told by senior officers what to write up in their reports. This is exactly the same behaviour employed by the police at Hillsborough. It looks very much like a another stitch up by the West Yorkshire Police. It needs looking at.

Fully agree. For the record South Yorkshire Police ran the shameful events at Hillsborough and Orgreave.p and covered them up afterwards. They had close cooperation from West Yorkshire Police but they were too busy protecting Jimmy Savile from child rape and sexual abuse allegations.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Clearly blame on both sides but I wonder what would this country be like today if Scargill had ultimately won his 'war' against Thatcher?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I used to play football with a former copper who had been among those bussed up to Yorkshire during the miners' strike. He told me that there was violence from both sides but that he saw policeman who needed very little encouragement to wade in. When he mentioned it to a superior he was told in no uncertain terms that he hadn't seen anything of the sort.

If you ever went to a football in the 80s or attended a demo in the 80s/early 90s you'd know this was absolutely true, they were many who were simply hired thugs rather than keepers of the peace.

Not proud of it but it still makes me happy that at least some of them got a shoeing at the Poll Tax demo.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Clearly blame on both sides but I wonder what would this country be like today if Scargill had ultimately won his 'war' against Thatcher?

He would have changed the Right to Buy on Council Houses and not been able to make a million pound profit on his Barbican Council flat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here