Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T OK COMPUTER what a F'ing album!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Am I the only person who thinks Radiohead are total crap?

Just seems to be singing about pain. Well, my ears are in pain listening to his voice. Same with Muse, although atleast they have a couple of good songs.

image.jpg

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Best jukebox selection I ever made was in a bar in a Mid-western U.S. town.
I chose Paranoid Android to annoy the locals.
2 minutes in, the bar flies were asking who chose this?
After 6 minutes of inspired wailing, the bar owner told my brother-in-law not to let the Englishman choose any more songs.
I loved every minute of that experience, the music and the reaction.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This is a good point. I often talk about music on my travels; foreigners have so much respects and reverence for British music. I'm often asked how do you continually churn out such great stuff; and how it's never ending. It is quite incredible when you think about it.

That's what's great about music, we all have opinions and in music nobody is wrong. I just love the quality of OK computer, it is polished yet gritty and extremely clever. The Bends is a fantastic album too.
I have to agree about the uk music scene, I don't know if it's the weather, the politics, the booze, the struggles and successes of living here, or maybe it's a combination of all those things? But the UK does produce the highest quality bands that rise out of the swap of mundane music to conquer and succeed. Most of the time against their own will.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Best jukebox selection I ever made was in a bar in a Mid-western U.S. town.
I chose Paranoid Android to annoy the locals.
2 minutes in, the bar flies were asking who chose this?
After 6 minutes of inspired wailing, the bar owner told my brother-in-law not to let the Englishman choose any more songs.
I loved every minute of that experience, the music and the reaction.

I got a similar reaction in a twee couples pub in Worcester on a Saturday evening when I put on most of Substance by Joy Division. The barman actually pulled the plug out of the wall.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That's what's great about music, we all have opinions and in music nobody is wrong. I just love the quality of OK computer, it is polished yet gritty and extremely clever. The Bends is a fantastic album too.
I have to agree about the uk music scene, I don't know if it's the weather, the politics, the booze, the struggles and successes of living here, or maybe it's a combination of all those things? But the UK does produce the highest quality bands that rise out of the swap of mundane music to conquer and succeed. Most of the time against their own will.

Since i have left the UK i have found our ability to produce top quality music even more fascinating. The reasons for are IMHO the reasons you state and more. Australia has produced some great bands over the years but its sound is entirely one dimensional (think ACDC rehashing the same thing for an entire career) whereas Britain manages to produce bands that expose a wide range of influences over not just a career, but often an album or even a single song. The depth of understanding and feeling is immense in British music and our great bands transcend generes to the point where new genres have to be invented in order to home them.

Radiohead are right up there with the best of them and the influence of Kid A and Amnesiac can still be heard today. I never got into the 'plinky plonk' stuff that came after but you can still hear it in much music today. I also had the pleasure of meeting and supporting them at the Richmond in 1993 and they were wonderfully nice people (okay Thom was a touch arrogant and aloof but the rest were sound) who shared their rider with us and bought us poor struggling musos drinks.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Its probably my 4th or 5th best Radiohead album yet is still a work of remarkable genius. What a ****ing band.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
2:45-4:45 of track 5 Let Down is probably my favourite two minutes of music

You know, you know where you are with
You know where you are with
Floor collapsing
Floating, bouncing back
And one day....
I am going to grow wings
A chemical reaction
Hysterical and useless
Hysterical and...

Let down and hanging around
Crushed like a bug in the ground
Let down and hanging around

One of those songs that instantly puts a smile on my face, but at the same time makes me feel a little like crying....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Only just got to the end of Airbag and alreasy have shivers running down my spine. I take back my gripe about production and agree with all the plaudits it has received :)

Forgotten the majesty of Paranoid Android (will get asked to turn it down soon :))

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's a fantastic album - and one I've neglected to listen to lately. Never really got in to the post-OK Computer stuff.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
...That said, one of the best gigs I ever went to was on the Kid A/Amnesiac tour in 2000 when they played in a big tent. Anyone else go to those dates? - I went to one in Holland and then in Victoria Park in London. Found out from the experience of the first one that early arrivers got to stand in a sectioned-off bit at the front. So got their early, just made the cut, and found myself about 2-3 rows back from the edge of the stage. Because they'd sectioned that bit off there was no crush, you could just stand there - beers in hand - without anyone smashing into you. They then came on and did the following set. It was like having the best band in the world play in your living room. Just incredible.

The National Anthem
Morning Bell
Airbag
In Limbo
Talk Show Host
You and Whose Army?
Optimistic
My Iron Lung
Karma Police
No Surprises
How to Disappear Completely
I Might Be Wrong
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
Paranoid Android
Idioteque
Just
Everything in Its Right Place

Encore:
Lucky
Knives Out
The Bends
Pyramid Song

Encore 2:
Motion Picture Soundtrack

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was late to the Radiohead party. I loved Creep when it came out, but Pablo Honey disappointed, and all that I could hear was Thom Yorke wiling and sounding miserable.

They won me round though. I listened again after hearing Thom Yorke singing This Mess we're in with PJ Harvey from her Songs from the City, songs from the sea album. That song still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stick up.

I love Radiohead now, particularly The Bends and OK Computer.

Sod it, I'm posting that song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTrGowDPjBk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A great album for sure. Actually it's bloody brilliant but I think their best album is The Bends. That was a game-changer for me.

Apparently, their new album is, in the words of long-time collaborator Stan Dunwood, a work of art.

http://www.thefourohfive.com/music/...-work-of-art-according-to-stanley-donwood-145

The Bends was a game-changer and is sublime, but it's appeal for me has waned, not for what it is, but what it spawned and, in that, its got a lot to answer for.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Just in that kinda mood. I've put on ok computer and I've totally fell in love with it again. British music that no other islands can make. Gritty, melodic, storytelling, genius!!
Do you ever get a moment, when you put an album on that you used to love and haven't heard it for ages, then you realise why you loved it in the first place. Makes you feel alive again. It last happened to me walking into a shop in Boston USA and hearing HIS 'N' HERS by pulp. When did it last happen to you?

I love this album

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is a good point. I often talk about music on my travels; foreigners have so much respects and reverence for British music. I'm often asked how do you continually churn out such great stuff; and how it's never ending. It is quite incredible when you think about it.

British pop music is something to celebrate -- it such an engaging quirkiness to it. It is, of course, one of those things celebrated by Danny Boyle in the Olympics Opening Ceremony, which is one of the only moments in my life that has made me feel nationalistic.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
British pop music is something to celebrate -- it such an engaging quirkiness to it. It is, of course, one of those things celebrated by Danny Boyle in the Olympics Opening Ceremony, which is one of the only moments in my life that has made me feel nationalistic.

I firmly believe that British pop music is the very best. Our influence far outweighs the size of the island and it hasn't waned since the Beatles took the States by storm. I have a huge love of Nordic pop music too but they are all influenced by us. Being a bit of a music geek, I have also got quite into trying to find pop and rock music from other countries and I think the unique thing about us is the way that we constantly re-invent the genre without feeling even the slightest twinge of guilt about dumping what came before. But also, I'd add that a lot of British kids are far more knowledgeable about music than their foreign counterparts. It's in our DNA.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How dare you mention Coldplay in the same breath as Radiohead lol!

Thom Yorke's voice really grates on me. Worse than Coldplay in my opinion

You're right there! Although, Coldplay actually had a couple of good songs before they went terribly poppy IMO.

Dunno if you chaps are aware of this but there's a bit of history with Coldplay and Radiohead. I read somewhere that they've known each other for a long time and I think I'm right in saying that one or both has written songs for the other. I can't find the article I read about this but will keep looking.

And in my humble opinion Coldplay's first album is seriously under-rated. The song "Yellow" is sublime.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Dunno if you chaps are aware of this but there's a bit of history with Coldplay and Radiohead. I read somewhere that they've known each other for a long time and I think I'm right in saying that one or both has written songs for the other. I can't find the article I read about this but will keep looking.

And in my humble opinion Coldplay's first album is seriously under-rated. The song "Yellow" is sublime.
I love Radiohead. Don't like cold play.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
...That said, one of the best gigs I ever went to was on the Kid A/Amnesiac tour in 2000 when they played in a big tent. Anyone else go to those dates? - I went to one in Holland and then in Victoria Park in London. Found out from the experience of the first one that early arrivers got to stand in a sectioned-off bit at the front. So got their early, just made the cut, and found myself about 2-3 rows back from the edge of the stage. Because they'd sectioned that bit off there was no crush, you could just stand there - beers in hand - without anyone smashing into you. They then came on and did the following set. It was like having the best band in the world play in your living room. Just incredible.

The National Anthem
Morning Bell
Airbag
In Limbo
Talk Show Host
You and Whose Army?
Optimistic
My Iron Lung
Karma Police
No Surprises
How to Disappear Completely
I Might Be Wrong
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
Paranoid Android
Idioteque
Just
Everything in Its Right Place

Encore:
Lucky
Knives Out
The Bends
Pyramid Song

Encore 2:
Motion Picture Soundtrack

What a great set list.
The first time I saw Radiohead was a few years later at V Festival of all places. The songs they played were very much the same and included Creep at the very end. It was the last year they actually had a few bands worth seeing including Art Brut and dare I say it Morrissey. Got very drunk and ended up watching Sugarbabes and I think Girls Aloud just for a laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here