Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T. Hinkley Point.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thames not big enough?

probably not, and there is the risk of a small leak that would be a problem in a major city. you have a point though, and from what i've read theres an opinion out there that we've been massivly overcautious with nuclear power, with the worst events causing a fraction of the pollution and ill-health than the thousands of coal plants have done. more numerous, smaller, well designed (fail-safe) plants would be a btter way forward.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
probably not, and there is the risk of a small leak that would be a problem in a major city. you have a point though, and from what i've read theres an opinion out there that we've been massivly overcautious with nuclear power, with the worst events causing a fraction of the pollution and ill-health than the thousands of coal plants have done. more numerous, smaller, well designed (fail-safe) plants would be a btter way forward.

Possibly but I still imagine those in favour of nuclear power would be less keen if they were being put up next door.

Can you imagine the uproar if a nuclear power station was proposed for Shoreham for example?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Possibly but I still imagine those in favour of nuclear power would be less keen if they were being put up next door.

Can you imagine the uproar if a nuclear power station was proposed for Shoreham for example?

give the uproar if you want to build a wind turbine within a sight of a home, or indeed any new homes, i can imagine too well.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Built near large water masses in order for water to be used to cool the reactor core. A massive tunnel is being built out into the channel to provide water to cool the reactor at Hinkley.

Been down to Hinkley a few times to clear the gates for the water to enter the chambers as they get a bit blocked with giant conger eels now and again !!

On a footnote I can quite happily say it's the coldest place I've ever worked at in mid winter

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

We used to look down on our Nuclear Reactor when walking through the tunnel on our Polaris Submarine back in the day, never a chance of it leaking and they were built back in 1968 so no worries then and by today's standards I would say the chance is zero of a leak in a Nuclear power station these days

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
That was unexpected, i was listening to the Jeremy Vine show today, they have already spent 2 Billion on the site (not sure who has spent it), so if its a no in the autumn that is a hell of a lot of money to waste.

I have been offered 3 years work in there but turned it down as they want everyone to work 12 days on and 3 days off and the rates are shocking

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just get on and build it and stop fannying around.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just get on and build it and stop fannying around.

I have no problems with it being built its the way it is going to be built.
I thought we were the 5th biggest economy in the world, we certainly have the knowhow but its the french and chinese and we have to pay higher bills.
I will be in my armchair with one bar of the electric fire on and a tartan rug over my knees watching Countdown by then anyway.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
We used to have a nuclear energy company, British Energy was it ? Whatever happened to them ? Flogged off I suppose, or wound up as we never bothered to get round to investing in our own power station construction, embarrassing.

EDF bought British Nucler Energy years ago and combined it with the old LEB , SEEBOARD and SWEB that they hasd aquired before that, its now EDF Energy
It is sad that we can not do this ourselves but there are TWO companies in the world who build them, edf is one of them. As has been previously said, we have no one who could design a nuclear power plant anymor

in answer to the question who has providedthe £2billion already spent(i didnt realise it was that high, but certainly £100s millions) is EDF

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Clear this up,please. At what level and are we talking about ?

a045ef54dc6bcdaa6274b5049051b6e2.png

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If the GMB say the delay is bonkers its probably worth shelving the project...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36921785

I'd say its got political now and the French are involved.

Its a terrible deal, we'd be better off investing the money into saving energy and then we wouldn't need it

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ideally, I don't think we did but short-term-ism from Red and Blue alike has backed us into this unfortunate corner where we are basically forced to take one and overpay for it massively in the process.
To be fair to theresa may, i think she is having second thoughts about it , you certainly wont agree with nany of her policies but if she proves to be far sighted on this i for one will be very pleased , having the french and chinese holding us by the balls over energy is incredibly short sighted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here