Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Does liking something that posh people like automatically make you posh?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The inverted snob piece is probably holding me back here, because I swore as a youth, that no matter what else I did in my life, I was never ever going to wear a dinner jacket. There is probably a way around this, so maybe one day.

Yep, there is a great way round it - don't wear a DJ to go to the opera. I've been to a few hundred (I know, I know) over the years and have NEVER worn a DJ. Comfortably less than 0.5% do. True, you won't see too many in T-shirts and cut-off jeans either (but more than you would wearing a DJ). If that's all that's holding you back, grab a cheap ticket and just go wearing whatever you feel comfortable in. About 200+ people at ROH take their own interval sandwiches too and eat them in the amphitheatre corridors, with nary a look from the staff; it's tradition. It's nothing like as posh as you'd think.

If you think you'd enjoy the experience, just go!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not quite: the modern-day Tanzania is the combination of what used to be Tanganyika and Zanzibar. Zambia is somewhere completely different (although it is also in East Africa)

thank you for pointing that out. Yes you are right Completely different all together. No where near in fact...

tanganyika_locator_72a.jpg

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Indeed, I was CHASTISED (sp?) for reading on the train on the way to an away match once.

Your spelling is perfect. You're obviously very posh.

And just for effect, I got a your and a you're in the same sentence, just to show I know the difference.... or am I veering in to pedantry and away from Posh.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Graeme Le Saux?

Wasn't it Graeme le Saux who said that all his team-mates thought he was gay because he read the Guardian and liked antiques.

Is the logical extension of such a statementthat all gay people are posh?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
..You have a Spice Girls Encyclopaedia - how many volumes does it have?

It's one very slim volume. I thought (genuinely) she was called Posh spice because she was less of a slapper than the rest of them.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Your spelling is perfect. You're obviously very posh.

And just for effect, I got a your and a you're in the same sentence, just to show I know the difference.... or am I veering in to pedantry and away from Posh.

#Pedant alert#

I can't believe I'm going to type this, but what the hell.

I think you'll find you got "your" and "you're" into consecutive sentences, rather than only one. Whereas I did indeed get them into one.

Separately, where do you stand on "in to" as opposed to "into"? The former is traditionally correct, of course, but has the latter been used enough to make it into (in to?) the OED yet, I wonder?

I'll get my coat. :wink: :thumbsup:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
thank you for pointing that out. Yes you are right Completely different all together. No where near in fact...

View attachment 46276

Zambia is what used to be Northern Rhodesia -- it is completely different from and unrelated to Tanzania (which is what used to be Tanganyika plus Zanzibar). Just because they're all in the same part of the same continent, doesn't mean they're the same place, any more than Germany is the same place as France.

Alternatively, why not just call them all bong-bongo land, and be done with it??

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Zambia is what used to be Northern Rhodesia -- it is completely different from and unrelated to Tanzania (which is what used to be Tanganyika plus Zanzibar). Just because they're all in the same part of the same continent, doesn't mean they're the same place, any more than Germany is the same place as France.

Alternatively, why not just call them all bong-bongo land, and be done with it??

blimey...who rattled your cage.

chill out you stupid bugger

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The working classes mix easier with the upper classes than the middles classes do. They're united in bad dentistry, love of blood sports, patriotism and cruel parenting*.

*I can't lay claim to this phrase, wish I could though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pat Nevin also fell foul of being the smartest man in the room.

I have often wondered how isolating it must be if you're a slightly smarter/adventerous footballer and cannot be arsed with popping a pig's head in someones locker or hilariously cutting up a colleagues pants.. Pat Nevin said that when he was on european duty he often took advantage to take off on his own and do some sightseeing and the other lads used to fine him for this. He said eventually he just gave them some money, went off and left them to it. Owen Hargreaves was the same apparently.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I have often wondered how isolating it must be if you're a slightly smarter/adventerous footballer and cannot be arsed with popping a pig's head in someones locker or hilariously cutting up a colleagues pants.. Pat Nevin said that when he was on european duty he often took advantage to take off on his own and do some sightseeing and the other lads used to fine him for this. He said eventually he just gave them some money, went off and left them to it. Owen Hargreaves was the same apparently.

Owen Hargreaves is affectionately known to me and my friends as "Kundera" because he once said that while the others were playing computer games he was reading Milan Kundera. He seemed wuite comfortable about the fact that he was considered "different" to his team mates and I didn't get the impression that they took the piss that much.

On the other foot, take someone like Tim Henman who said that he didn't read books because they were boring. The equation of posh people being well read and intelligent and the working class as thick is one that continues to persist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here