O/T: Does liking something that posh people like automatically make you posh?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm 47 and have never been to an opera. Having said that I once sat through Carmen on Sky Arts 2 on a dull Sunday afternoon and absolutely loved it. The inverted snob piece is probably holding me back here, because I swore as a youth, that no matter what else I did in my life, I was never ever going to wear a dinner jacket. There is probably a way around this, so maybe one day.

As others have said being posh is a perception and you shouldn't necessarily be offended that others consider you posh. Take craft beer, you are happy to pay a premium, for what you perceive to be a premium product and are happy to let others know that they are satisfied by drinking inferior alcohol. Maybe at this point I am straying closer to that other label "The Snob". Would you consider yourself a beer snob and more importantly would you take offence at others perceiving you as a beer snob ?

Personally I think you can do pretty much whatever you want without it affecting your class. As I have mentioned the theory I follow suggests class is more dictated by beliefs and values and you can hold onto these whilst engaging in lots of seemingly conflicting actions. It also breaks down barriers. So, go to the opera as you seem to be missing out on something you'd love.

The snob thing is a different argument so I will save that for another day.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Personally I think you can do pretty much whatever you want without it affecting your class. As I have mentioned the theory I follow suggests class is more dictated by beliefs and values and you can hold onto these whilst engaging in lots of seemingly conflicting actions. It also breaks down barriers. So, go to the opera as you seem to be missing out on something you'd love.

The snob thing is a different argument so I will save that for another day.

I think there are two different interpretations of posh one of which has nothing to do with class. As Mellotron suggested you can be thought of as POSH for reading a book and in the right circumstances it can be taken as a complement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think there are two different interpretations of posh one of which has nothing to do with class. As Mellotron suggested you can be thought of as POSH for reading a book and in the right circumstances it can be taken as a complement.

I do not believe you can seriously be considered posh for reading a book though. I took this to be a joke?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Personally think that you are born posh, private education, professional reasonably high flying family, mother who doesn't have to work, nice house in the stockbroker belt etc. Certainly used to be like that anyway. Don't see that you become posh by coming from what was considered a working class family and get rich through your endeavours, a la Lord Sugar. Lord Sugar and his ilk are nouveau riche rather than posh aren't they? His kids may be considered posh as 2nd generation rich folk though. You need to speak "proper" to be considered posh too :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As others have said being posh is a perception and you shouldn't necessarily be offended that others consider you posh. Take craft beer, you are happy to pay a premium, for what you perceive to be a premium product and are happy to let others know that they are satisfied by drinking inferior alcohol. Maybe at this point I am straying closer to that other label "The Snob". Would you consider yourself a beer snob and more importantly would you take offence at others perceiving you as a beer snob ?

Is this the case? I admit I am puzzled as to why people will choose, say Fosters. And I have got involved in debate around this but I do not feel I am "happy to let others know that they are satisfied by drinking inferior alcohol." I'm disappointed you feel this way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed, I was CHASTISED (sp?) for reading on the train on the way to an away match once.

My best man raised the "issue" with me eating humous, olives and pitta bread on the train to an away game during his speech.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
When my son's football went in a neighbours garden, I earwigged when he went to the door. He said something along the lines of "I'm terribly sorry, but I've kicked my football into your garden. Would you mind getting it for me?"

I didn't teach him to talk like that. I grew up on a council estate, and would therefore be regarded as scum by anyone genuinely posh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside Grayson Perry wrote and presented a fantastic C4 3-part series looking into the class system in the UK. It was on a year of so ago but if you get a chance to see it make sure you do.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
My best man raised the "issue" with me eating humous, olives and pitta bread on the train to an away game during his speech.

We went to Borough Market on the way to Brum - truffled foie gras, black pig ham, fennel salami, Roquefort, two types of bread, cheesecake and a selection of chocolates. Don't know if it makes us posh but it certainly makes us fat.

Did this on the way up north last season when we had a West Ham director sharing our table, rather incredulously he asked if this was a typical Brighton awayday and we were able to assure him it was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We went to Borough Market on the way to Brum - truffled foie gras, black pig ham, fennel salami, Roquefort, two types of bread, cheesecake and a selection of chocolates. Don't know if it makes us posh but it certainly makes us fat.

Did this on the way up north last season when we had a West Ham director sharing our table, rather incredulously he asked if this was a typical Brighton awayday and we were able to assure him it was.

Oooooh. Stop. This post is making me drool :smile:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I can't believe ANYONE would think someone posh for reading a book ??!!!??? Surely not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't believe ANYONE would think someone posh for reading a book ??!!!??? Surely not.
A bit like reading The Guardian in a football dressing room.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I achieved Grade 8 in a musical discipline and played in the Brighton Youth Orchestra for a time.
I love classical, easy listening and film score music.
I also come from a one parent family and was one of 11 kids brought up in Moulsecoombe.
So I must be super proper posh.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I achieved Grade 8 in a musical discipline and played in the Brighton Youth Orchestra for a time.
I love classical, easy listening and film score music.
I also come from a one parent family and was one of 11 kids brought up in Moulsecoombe.
So I must be super proper posh.

Given your dazzling intellectual brilliance, you might have been expected to learn how to spell Moulsecoomb though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If we are talking about the appreciation of music as a indicator of your "poshness", then I is well posh innit.

I have sung Verdi. Brahms and Mozart's requiems at the Royal Albert Hall, I sang Jazz with the founder of Manhatten Transfer, Les DeMerle and also with Dame Felicity Lott, one of our top top sopranos.

In all seriousness, class is something you are born into I believe. One of my mates I play golf with lives in Scaynes Hill and I was invited to his house for drinks. Turned out, he lives in this run down cottage but there is all sorts of maps etc on his walls. He told me that the maps showed land his family had owned throughout the ages and he showed me a scroll from the Heraldry people ( I actually badgered him to show it me and he eventually relented) which showed he was a blood relation of Edward the Confessor!...Now that is REALLY POSH! of course like most aristocrats, he was broke as his family had lost money in death duties and also when the Bolshevics confiscated their lands and houses in Russia etc.....but this bloke just oozes class. You can't quantify it, it is just there.

One of the maps was of Tanganika ( Tanzania and Zambia area) and their land covered half the country!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
As an aside Grayson Perry wrote and presented a fantastic C4 3-part series looking into the class system in the UK. It was on a year of so ago but if you get a chance to see it make sure you do.

The brilliance of this programme was that Grayson Perry was COMPLETELY non-judgemental of any of the three "classes" and it enabled him to understand and empathise with them all and make a fascinating programme rather than a wry p1ss-take.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports