Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] O/T Bathroom plumbing question

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As I am to plumbing what Attwell and Salisbury are to refereeing, can anyone assist with a quick question? I have a small leak coming from the top of this tap. After a bit of googling, I assume I will have to remove the top and replace the cartridge. What I can't figure out is how to get the top off. The handle doesn't unscrew, there appears to be no hidden screw front or back to access so is it just a case of forcing the top off to access the cartridge and if so will it just snap back on? Obviously I don't want to force it if it will break. I only need the cheapest and most basic of repairs as I will have to do a full bathroom refurb soon so I don't think it's worth getting a new tap. I have leak sealant - if I just dump a load of that on top of the cartridge would that do the trick?
Any help would be appreciated.
View attachment 159550
I’m sure the handle will unscrew but you need some adjustable grips (water pump pliers) these will put teeth marks on the chrome unless you wrap the handle in a small piece of rubber or leather. As you are replacing the bathroom you probably are not bothered about marking the handle.
If you get the handle off there should be a small Allen screw in the tap head.

If you can replace the cartridge it’s probably cheaper than buying that type of mixer tap, looks like the tall type that fixes to a worktop behind a basin.

Edit-
Just seen the post from @SIMMO SAYS and you may as well get one of these from Screwfix, could actually work out cheaper than buying a cartridge.

5CCE402B-C167-4373-A861-C8F6FC64E36B.jpeg

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I’m sure the handle will unscrew but you need some adjustable grips (water pump pliers) these will put teeth marks on the chrome unless you wrap the handle in a small piece of rubber or leather. As you are replacing the bathroom you probably are not bothered about marking the handle.
If you get the handle off there should be a small Allen screw in the tap head.

If you can replace the cartridge it’s probably cheaper than buying that type of mixer tap, looks like the tall type that fixes to a worktop behind a basin.

Edit-
Just seen the post from @SIMMO SAYS and you may as well get one of these from Screwfix, could actually work out cheaper than buying a cartridge.

View attachment 159554
Thank you. I actually tried to remove the handle using a pair of water pump pliers but it wouldn't shift. I'll have another go tomorrow and see if it does come off or else I'll go with the suggestions on here and get the cheapest replacement I can find and find someone to install it for me. Thanks again.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thank you. I actually tried to remove the handle using a pair of water pump pliers but it wouldn't shift. I'll have another go tomorrow and see if it does come off or else I'll go with the suggestions on here and get the cheapest replacement I can find and find someone to install it for me. Thanks again.

If you need it fitted (or save yourself a lot of hassle, get it taken off and replaced in half the time/mess/effort/blasphemy) my first port of call would be this thread. NSC plumbers know best :thumbsup:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
There are many jobs around the house one can do without having to get a pro in. Like fixing taps.

With the advent of YouTube tutorial videos, lots of jobs can be tackled by anyone with a steady hand, a bit of patience and an internet connection.

I was taught by my Stepdad to do small repairs around the house and to keep a decent tool kit. As many on here were I expect. From their respective father figures, not my stepdad.

Saves a small fortune and gives a sense of satisfaction. Very handy during lockdown too.

Practical life skills. We must keep them up. To the zoomers, I say “need a safe space? Build one”
You put a picture of your tool kit on here once, calling it decent would be stretching it a bit.
Fair play for having a go thou.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You put a picture of your tool kit on here once, calling it decent would be stretching it a bit.
Fair play for having a go thou.
If it had a lump hammer in it then I can't honestly see what other tools would be needed :wink:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm so glad I have some practical ability £80 to change a cartridge on a tap.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
£140 does he drive a Porsche ?
Not at £40 per hour he doesn't - Minus tax, minus NI, Minus PLI, Minus Van, Van tax, Van Insurance, petrol to get there, accountants, book-keepers, tools etc.. What he actually got in his pocket from this job.. £60..? £30ph, with no pension/sick pay.. If they cop parking charges as well, they might as well stack shelves..

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not at £40 per hour he doesn't - Minus tax, minus NI, Minus PLI, Minus Van, Van tax, Van Insurance, petrol to get there, accountants, book-keepers, tools etc.. What he actually got in his pocket from this job.. £60..? £30ph, with no pension/sick pay.. If they cop parking charges as well, they might as well stack shelves..
Tax? NI? had a plumber change a tap a few months cost me 6 tins of lager......glad my son in law has a trade and not a pen pusher.

Reactions: cjd

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Don't know if you've done it yet. If you can't find the grub nut to pop off the top. Have you tried unscrewing the knob / lever / pointy out thing on the top of the tap?
Might do the trick, once you've removed it unscrewing the cartridge / ceramic disc, as mentioned turned the water off.
Take the handle and the cartridge to your merchant a new cartridge is about £15.
If not call in a man who can.
I work in a plumbers merchant but don't do plumbing.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Where abouts are you? Personally I don't waste time trying to fix taps nowadays, it's often the same cost to just change it. If you're local I can have a go at it. Also let me know if you want an estimate for your bathroom, I am booked up until around August though..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here