Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] O/T Bathroom plumbing question

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
As I am to plumbing what Attwell and Salisbury are to refereeing, can anyone assist with a quick question? I have a small leak coming from the top of this tap. After a bit of googling, I assume I will have to remove the top and replace the cartridge. What I can't figure out is how to get the top off. The handle doesn't unscrew, there appears to be no hidden screw front or back to access so is it just a case of forcing the top off to access the cartridge and if so will it just snap back on? Obviously I don't want to force it if it will break. I only need the cheapest and most basic of repairs as I will have to do a full bathroom refurb soon so I don't think it's worth getting a new tap. I have leak sealant - if I just dump a load of that on top of the cartridge would that do the trick?
Any help would be appreciated.
20230411_130148.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you definitely can't find a screw then likely it just needs 'persuading' off. I had the same recently on a kitchen tap. Took the grub screw out and it was still as tight as arseholes. Once I wiggled it about a bit it soon came off. Two new cartridges only cost just over a fiver too.

Five minute job :thumbsup:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If you definitely can't find a screw then likely it just needs 'persuading' off. I had the same recently on a kitchen tap. Took the grub screw out and it was still as tight as arseholes. Once I wiggled it about a bit it soon came off. Two new cartridges only cost just over a fiver too.

Five minute job :thumbsup:
Many thanks. What could possibly go wrong 😄?

DanR

Dec 26, 2020
Peasmarsh
It could be one of those taps which the whole top section unscrews. I.e. from that join just above the water spout.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I had a problem with my bathroom tap which needed a new cartridge. It cost £60 online and needed a very careful plumber to release the old calcified cartridge, prepare the tap and carefully install the new cartridge. Plumber cost £80 and spent a couple of hours making sure it was seated properly, cleared calcification and no leaks. In my case £140 well spent. Appreciate your case is different. I can PM his details if you want them. He's in Portslade.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I had a problem with my bathroom tap which needed a new cartridge. It cost £60 online and needed a very careful plumber to release the old calcified cartridge, prepare the tap and carefully install the new cartridge. Plumber cost £80 and spent a couple of hours making sure it was seated properly, cleared calcification and no leaks. In my case £140 well spent. Appreciate your case is different. I can PM his details if you want them. He's in Portslade.
£140 does he drive a Porsche ?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
As you are getting a new bathroom why not shut off the supply to that tap and not use it? ..... very lazy person advice
I always like the lazy route but I guess I could do with it working until such time as I get my act together and sort a new bathroom out. Thanks though.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
You can buy a similar brand new tap that the OP has for £50. No more than an hour to fit with luck. Labour £70. Job done !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
just get a new tap , fitted by a plumber , job done......on a side note i'm thinking of hiring a small aircraft to fly me and the family to Amsterdam , doe's anyone have any pointers on how to operate light aircraft...?
There are many jobs around the house one can do without having to get a pro in. Like fixing taps.

With the advent of YouTube tutorial videos, lots of jobs can be tackled by anyone with a steady hand, a bit of patience and an internet connection.

I was taught by my Stepdad to do small repairs around the house and to keep a decent tool kit. As many on here were I expect. From their respective father figures, not my stepdad.

Saves a small fortune and gives a sense of satisfaction. Very handy during lockdown too.

Practical life skills. We must keep them up. To the zoomers, I say “need a safe space? Build one”

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
There are many jobs around the house one can do without having to get a pro in. Like fixing taps.

With the advent of YouTube tutorial videos, lots of jobs can be tackled by anyone with a steady hand, a bit of patience and an internet connection.

I was taught by my Stepdad to do small repairs around the house and to keep a decent tool kit. As many on here were I expect. From their respective father figures, not my stepdad.

Saves a small fortune and gives a sense of satisfaction. Very handy during lockdown too.

Practical life skills. We must keep them up. To the zoomers, I say “need a safe space? Build one”
LOL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here