Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nzuzi Toko on his way out

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Think some serious eyebrows have to be raised over this signing. ??? doesn't do the eyebrow-raising seriousness justice.

How on EARTH did we ever end up signing a player who had only ever played for Grasshoppers in the mighty Swiss League?

I wouldn't be overly dismissive of signing someone who'd played top flight football in the Swiss league. Ulloa had only really played in the spanish second division, which probably isn't much different in standard.

I never once saw him kick a ball for us though, so I can only assume he truly is complete and utter toilet, crapness of Agustien levels, and so must go down as another nail in the coffin of Burkes career.

Yoda

English & European
I don't think Burke can be credited with Ulloa...wasn't Gus tracking him for a couple of years before landing him in January 2013 ? That would've pre-dated any Burke involvement in discovering him.

I believe so, think we had been keeping tabs on him for at least a year waiting for him to be granted Spanish citizenship.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I don't think Burke can be credited with Ulloa...wasn't Gus tracking him for a couple of years before landing him in January 2013 ? That would've pre-dated any Burke involvement in discovering him.

Yes. Burke sacked the scout that found Ulloa.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't be overly dismissive of signing someone who'd played top flight football in the Swiss league. Ulloa had only really played in the spanish second division, which probably isn't much different in standard.

I never once saw him kick a ball for us though, so I can only assume he truly is complete and utter toilet, crapness of Agustien levels, and so must go down as another nail in the coffin of Burkes career.

He was good the only time I saw him*

*against Lewes

Jimmy Grimble

Would be beneficial for him and for the club. No point in slagging off a player who never had any opportunity to prove themselves.

I wouldn't slag him off, but he's had half of season of training and development squad games to prove himself to 3 different coaches - I think people are probably justified in assuming he is utter dogshite.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I must question how you know this?

It's a shame Toko never worked out, I thought he was the like for like replacement for Bridcutt we'd been looking for.

Sorry but not prepared to say. I am guessing it's a fairly obvious call but let's see if I am right. If not, I will happily take a ban.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Sorry but not prepared to say. I am guessing it's a fairly obvious call but let's see if I am right. If not, I will happily take a ban.

If everyone who started a rumour on here took a ban, the place would be empty.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
At least we actually got a handful of appearances out of him. And didn't he score a late goal once in the Cup ? Or is my memory playing tricks on me.

He has played 20 minutes at Burton. That is it. (source:Soccerbase).

He did look very comfortable playing 45 mins in preseason. But it was at Lewes. And when I have seen him for the DS he has looked v ordinary.

PG

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wouldn't slag him off, but he's had half of season of training and development squad games to prove himself to 3 different coaches - I think people are probably justified in assuming he is utter dogshite.

Fair enough but I'm really not so sure. Settling in a new country. Injured pre-season then caught up in the whole tactical mess that was Sami Hyypia. His confidence and self belief were probably destroyed and whilst it's easy to reel out all the stuff about being paid to play football we all know that even sportsmen are not necessarily emotionally resilient.
Hopefully we can let a few go this window - Toko, O'Grady, Paddy, maybe CMS and (hopefully) Kemy.
It will clear some wages, allow us to bring in some new blood, and maybe put a few youngsters on the bench.
If we can pick up enough to leave fans feeling more positive at the season end then have a good early pre-season of transfer activity, maybe the drop in ST sales will be less catastrophic than might otherwise be the case and we can hope for another tilt at the top spots next year

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i still hold that this was a settling in issue, i cant see that someone playing regular football in a top team in a top tier, albeit Swiss, can be that bad. best to move on for all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It may be controversial, but personally I wouldn't have benno back. As much as I like the guy.

He is in no way the player he was when he first came here. I think we could do better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here