Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Number nine, Ashley Barnes!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I really don't see how anyone can see Barnes as anything other than a really good signing for us. He cost what, 100 grand? And for that we got someone who was an important part of a title winning team, was our top scorer in our first season back in the championship and was an integral part of the squad that made the play offs and had our highest league finish in nearly 30 years. He scored 57 goals in 178 appearances, a considerable number of those appearances being on the left wing rather than centre forward. All that for a 100 grand!

If we'd have had him last season we wouldn't have finished quite so low down the table as we did. If we had him in our squad this season we'd be in no worse a position than we are now and he'd probably be top scorer....again.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
He scored 42 goals for us. That cannot be disputed.
In how many games? How many in L1 vs Championship? IIRC he was 2nd top scorer in L1 but had an average record at our current level. Whereas, for example, Muzza pushed on, and Leo was simply a far better player.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I really don't see how anyone can see Barnes as anything other than a really good signing for us. He cost what, 100 grand? And for that we got someone who was an important part of a title winning team, was our top scorer in our first season back in the championship and was an integral part of the squad that made the play offs and had our highest league finish in nearly 30 years. He scored 57 goals in 178 appearances, a considerable number of those appearances being on the left wing rather than centre forward. All that for a 100 grand!

If we'd have had him last season we wouldn't have finished quite so low down the table as we did. If we had him in our squad this season we'd be in no worse a position than we are now and he'd probably be top scorer....again.
Are you sure he was our top scorer in the Championship? I think not.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you sure he was our top scorer in the Championship? I think not.

He has scored the most goals for us, since we moved into the Amex. Yes, he is our top scorer in the Championship, but Hemed could pass that this season.

b.w.2. hhmmm How many accounts do you use? BW, Sock Monster and this one?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
In how many games? How many in L1 vs Championship? IIRC he was 2nd top scorer in L1 but had an average record at our current level. Whereas, for example, Muzza pushed on, and Leo was simply a far better player.
Surely Barnes 'pushed on' as well, what with the playing top-flight football and getting relatively high levels of praise from people such as Alan Shearer whilst there?

(Yes, he really did, no, I'm not finding a link or anything, I'm sure it's on YouTube)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Surely Barnes 'pushed on' as well, what with the playing top-flight football and getting relatively high levels of praise from people such as Alan Shearer whilst there?
(Yes, he really did, no, I'm not finding a link or anything, I'm sure it's on YouTube)

& Danny Murphy on MotD, who described him as 'owning' Vincent Kompany, I believe...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I have never had anything against Barnes but quoting Shearer doesn't do his case any favours.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I have never had anything against Barnes but quoting Shearer doesn't do his case any favours.
Normally I'd agree as Shearer seems to have the tactical nous of a potato, however, when he talks about being an effective forward I tend to assume he has some idea what he's talking about.

Only in that specific instance though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here