Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nuclear war 'imminent'...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While our press are feeding us their own version of what's happening in Syria and taking every opportunity to stoke up Russophobia.
At least we get the chance to question our press. We can look at the press in other countries, question whether ours is accurate, post on here about it. To compare the accuracy of what we're being told with what Russians are being told is extremely naive.

Russia's military spending has risen in tandem with a huge build up of foreign military forces - led by the USA - along it's western border.
I don't believe you.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
At least we get the chance to question our press. We can look at the press in other countries, question whether ours is accurate, post on here about it. To compare the accuracy of what we're being told with what Russians are being told is extremely naive.

The Russians have the internet too.

I don't believe you.

You don't have to believe me. Look into it yourself.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Russians have the internet too.
They don't have free press and they can't say whatever they want. Russia is doing very badly economically. They've just been at war with their neighbours, many Russians have died. Yet Putin's popularity remains untouched. Why do you think that might be? We've never had a leader as popular as him, because we all have different opinions, which we're free to express. They don't. Criticise Putin in Russia if you want to move to Siberia.

You don't have to believe me. Look into it yourself.
I have. And I've been living with a Russian for a couple of years, so I do check both sides.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They don't have free press and they can't say whatever they want. Russia is doing very badly economically. They've just been at war with their neighbours, many Russians have died. Yet Putin's popularity remains untouched. Why do you think that might be? We've never had a leader as popular as him, because we all have different opinions, which we're free to express. They don't. Criticise Putin in Russia if you want to move to Siberia.

I have. And I've been living with a Russian for a couple of years, so I do check both sides.

So why don't you believe me when I say there has been a military build up on Russia's western border? This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. The Americans don't deny it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So why don't you believe me when I say there has been a military build up on Russia's western border? This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. The Americans don't deny it.

Reported back in June that 4000 NATO troops being stationed in Poland, Latvia, etc as deterrent against Russia

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What I don't believe is that Russia's spending is because of the build up foreign military forces, rather than the other way around.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
March this year

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts, who served as an Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy in the Reagan administration, shares his view that there is a real likelihood of a nuclear war breaking out. Below are the main points covered in this radio programme.

“Firstly there is the Wolfowitz doctrine, which basically makes it clear that the United States should prevent the rise of any state that could present sufficient power to threaten American unilateral action. Russia has risen and has displayed such power. This is the reason for the constant demonisation of Russia’s leader. We have the number one candidate for the democratic nomination, Hillary Clinton, who now compares the President of Russia with Hitler. So what has happened is that every American president during my lifetime, especially Nixon and Reagan, worked to create trust between the two major nuclear powers. But beginning with the Clinton regime, the trust that had been achieved was progressively destroyed.”

“When you destroy trust between nuclear powers you recreate the possibility of nuclear war, either by intent, or miscalculation. So this is a reckless and irresponsible act on the part of Washington. The information war that is going on now is to prepare the American population and NATO allies for military conflict with Russia. We now have high level people in the US government and military who go to Congress and say that Russia is an existential threat. This is rubbish! You have to remember that before the wars started in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, and Syria, it was the constant demonisation of the leaders of the governments, against the Tailban, Saddam Hussein, Gaddafi and Assad. When you see these kinds of demonisation it fits a pattern.”

“A hot war can come from a new cold war. Another factor is the American military industrial complex, with a turnover of a trillion dollars annually. Their entire revenues come from serving the war capability of the US government. They have a huge interest in having a major enemy. They tried to make terrorists that enemy, but that is not serious enough, so this complex has great interest in recreating the Russian threat. From the neo- conservative standpoint, they actually regard any country with an independent foreign policy to be a threat to the United States. So that part of the equation means that they can move the cold war into a hot war, it only takes a small amount of miscalculation. I don’t see how the Russian government can believe one word coming out of Washington.”

“Some neocons say: what’s the good of nuclear weapons if you can’t use them? They have a theory that the US has sufficient superiority to win a strike against Russia. If the US cannot win against a few thousand Taliban, it will not be able to win a possible conventional war against the Russian Army, Washington will go nuclear rather than lose a conflict with Russia (or China). A nuclear war cannot be won.”

“The neoconservatives now have no competition. There is nobody out there apart from Washington wishing to take over the world. As long as the American vassal states that comprise NATO accept American hegemony, they magnify the chance of a new massive war. Republican candidates are competing with each other to see who can treat Russia the most aggressively.”

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Reported back in June that 4000 NATO troops being stationed in Poland, Latvia, etc as deterrent against Russia

Versus 150,000 infantry the Russian side of the border, who can all be mobilised in 3 days. I read it would take NATO 3 months to mobilise a similar number.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did I ever argue otherwise?
From your post I took it that you think it was understandable that Russia were spending more, because of foreigners doing the same. If that's the reason, the other countries must have done that before Russia then changed policy to increase spending. I don't see that being the case at all.

We also know that the USA have zero interest in invading Russia or bombing them. The USA has no interest in annexing any land around the USA. We can't say the same about Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here