Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC's 100 essential albums

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
[MENTION=2318]Peteinblack[/MENTION]

Good to see that there are others out there with good taste in music! I take my hat off to you sir! I'm not too sure about Space Ritual being the best live album ever, it's a tough choice between that and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Live Seeds. Only recently come across Klaus Nomi, my niece introduced me to then but I'm hooked!

I also saw Wire twice this year!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
There have been some shocking nominations given this is meant to be 100 essential albums of all time.

Anyway, I'm going to pitch to you that Abbey Road is not the Beatles album to include. It is beautiful, 'here comes the sun', along with enjoyable tracks like She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, but, Revolver is perfection as an album, there is no bad track, no point you'd think to skip through a track. It also has Eleanor Rigby, and finishes with the incredible Tomorrow Never Knows - a dance track made before the Chemical Brothers or Norman Cook were even born. I Want to Tell You, Doctor Robert, She Said She Said, George Harrisons amazing Sitar inspired Love to You. From track 01 to 14, it is a complete unbelievably rich creative work. I'd give a kidney to have this included over Abbey Road!!

Abbey Road in it's own right is a wonderful album, but if you had to take just one Beatles album, it is surely Revolver!?!

A great reply, thanks. Revolver replaces Abbey Road

Jul 30, 2011
London
[MENTION=2318]Peteinblack[/MENTION]

Good to see that there are others out there with good taste in music! I take my hat off to you sir! I'm not too sure about Space Ritual being the best live album ever, it's a tough choice between that and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Live Seeds. Only recently come across Klaus Nomi, my niece introduced me to then but I'm hooked!

I also saw Wire twice this year!!

I tell a lie, I saw them twice in 2011!!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
220px-Talk_Talk_-_Spirit_of_Eden_cover.jpg

Unplayable live, so he disappeared from the music scene (apart from a solo album), Mark Hollis is a genius.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Ziggy Stardust beats Low?

In your dreams fellas. Bowie by 1976 hated the Ziggy/Alladin phase, the screaming girls and glam copyists. he took on the image of the nazi/occultist Thin White Duke, moved to LA and had a serious cocaine problem, he couldn't remember recording Station to Station, his postcard from a coke-induced plastic California. He moved back to Europe, worked with Brian Eno, dropped the silly stage personas and effectively grew up. The result was 'Low', a gothic, truly original masterpiece.

Any Bowie geek (like me) will agree, Ziggy was a good album, but it has aged poorly, and is really showing it's age now - as is the character 'Ziggy Stardust' himself. But it has nothing on Low, it doesn't even get near Hunky Dory or Station to Station. Low is timeless, and the cover (a still from The Man Who Fell To Earth) is one of the most iconic images in popular music. It launched the 'wedge' haircut, and coincided with the end of donkey jackets, flares, and big sideburns among the youth of our big cities. The casuals/scallies took it on and the rest is history.

Low isn't just a music album, it's a watershed in the history of popular culture.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Absolute bitch to choose which album, but I have gone for Low Life. There are still the scars of JD in it, combined with the movement towards dance in the form of Subculture and The Perfect Kiss. They were never JUST a singles band, although their singles were peerless for a time.

New-Order-Low-Life-474241.jpg

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This is just bullshit if it's albums that 'Scampi' likes, it should be top 100 in the view of NSC for better of worse not what forum poster Scampi deigns to believe is good enough.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Everything But the Girl - Walking Wounded
Apollo 440 - Electroglide in Blue
Portishead - Summy
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Bomb the Bass - Clear
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Money Mark - Mark's Keyboard Repairs
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Michael Mayer - Immer 3
Radiohead - OK Computer
Smiths - Strangeways
Nina Simone - Remixed and Re-imagined
Beth Orton - Trailer Park
Grease OST
Michael Jackson - Bad
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Nick Cave - Nocturama
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
Elliott Smith - View from a Basement on a Hill
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
Sigur Ros - Aegetis Byrjun
Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good
Squeeze - 45s and under
Specials - Specials
New Order - Substance (or Technique)
Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Verve - Urban Hymns
Calvin Harris - I Invented Disco
Menahan Street Band - Menahan Street Band
JJ - No 2
The XX - XX
Carole King - Tapestry
Johnny Cash - At San Quentin Prison
Human League - Dare
Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Madonna - True Blue
Beatles - White Album
Pet Shop Boys - Actually
Pipettes - Pipettes
Grace Jones - Compass Point Sessions
King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Waterboys - To The Sea
Unkle - Never Never Land
Ian Brown - Solarized
Beth Orton - Trailer Park

There's probably loads more but those are the ones that I've thought of in the last 15 minutes that I would add.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A great reply, thanks. Revolver replaces Abbey Road

A very good call, I wholeheartedly endorse this change.

Beaties for me should be Paul's Boutique but only just above the others so i am open to opinions.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
This is just bullshit if it's albums that 'Scampi' likes, it should be top 100 in the view of NSC for better of worse not what forum poster Scampi deigns to believe is good enough.

It's not what i like, its what people convince me should be in. I prefer Abbey Road to Revlover, but i liked the argument. If someones nominated something YOU think deserves a place argue it's case.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha

There's probably loads more but those are the ones that I've thought of in the last 15 minutes that I would add.

Pick one and convince nsc it should be in. Then do the same with another and another.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
The List so far, still plenty of spaces to fill and one album thats already been replaced.

1 ) Beastie Boys Pauls Boutique
2 ) Beatles Revolver
3 ) David Bowie Ziggy Stadust
4 ) Cure 17 Seconds
5 ) Gang of Four Entertainment
6 ) marvin Gaye What's Going On
7 ) Led Zeppelin IV
8 ) Metallica Black Album
9 ) New Order Low Life
10 ) Nirvana Nevermind
11 ) Oasis Definitely Maybe
12 ) Public Enemy It Takes a ation of Millions