Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSCers' Football Careers

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Simster said:
However, I've pretty much given up now so I play for little club called Leyton Orient which is quite nice. It's easier to play when there aren't many people laughing at your every mistake.

What a shame that you have to wind down such a distinguished career in this manner.

I started at Junior School and score the first ever goal for Willingdon Trees Primary School. Our first ever game was against Lindfield School, Eastbourne which used to be known as a Special School. Anyway, I was captain and probably about 9 or 10. I had to shake their captain's hand and he was a big lunk called Amos who had a tattoo and facial hair! He was probably only 13 or 14 to be fair but they were massive as a team compared to us. I had a shot from outside of the box which their keeper left and it crawled in the corner.

At senior school, I was top scorer in House football with 12 goals in 4 games - mostly from goalhanging. I then played for the worst team in football history - Trees United. Our best result was losing 3-1 (I scored the 1) and our worst result was losing 31-0. I was normally keeper but the most I let in was 25 (and was man of the match - we never got out of our half and I was constantly facing 3 strikers on my own) We even had a left back who was over age and still lost by 10-15 goals on average.

Whilst in my last year at school, I used to go and watch the 5 a side league at Hampden Park Sports Hall and mock the goalie who always nodded his head violently when underarming the ball out. Then, I was roped into playing in goal for a team (The Pioneers I think) and saved 2 penalties against the Hailsham Knights. I played in goal for them for a year or so and played against some top class local talent - Steve Dell, Mick Green and a few other County League players.

Not much after that apart from 1 game as a ringer for a Sunday League team played under someone else team - making sure I didn't get booked.

About 15 years ago, I played in front of a good 2-300 people at Pontins. The camp in Brixham I went to had another Pontins right next door so most of the residents came to watch the grudge match between the 2 camps - St Mary's Bay and the Dolphin. I remember making one awful sliding tackle about 20 seconds in.

Nothing then until about 7 years ago when I was coaxed into playing for PPP Healthcare for whom I worked. The office in Eastbourne had 450 staff and only 30 or so of them were men so they were really hard up. I was reborn as a Centre Half for 8 or 9 games, finally finding a use for my 6ft 1" 15 stone frame.

My footballing career was brought to an abrupt end 5 years ago - almost to the day. I had been playing 5 a side kick arounds for a few years and was in goal. A soft shot came in and I went to cover it. It took a deflection and in turning, I twisted and turned over on my ankle, much like I saw a cricketer do in a Test the summer before last. Two large cracks and a lot of swelling. As it was my first week in a new job, I delayed going to Casualty until the next eveing where some daft bint diagnosed it as a sprain. 5 days later, after walking around on it, it gave way and I went back to find it was cleanly broken. 6 months after, it hadn't completely healed so they booked me in for a bone graft. 30 minutes before my pre med, they X Rayed again and found it joined - lucky really as the op would have involved taking bone from the hip, going to put it in the ankle and finding it already mended.

Anyway, that put me off for a few years. I started to get twitchy for playing last year but signing up to the gym has brought out a knee cartlidge problem which I think draws a veil over my brief football career. And I'm younger than Butters. :nono:

There you go - can I have a metallic sticker in your album as I have given so much info?

Last edited:

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
TGC - you can indeed have a gold metallic team badge for that. However anything lesser than County Div 3 and you have to share a sticker with someone else .

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Captain of the 4ths at school aged 12, then an 11 year career break till about a year ago when i started playing for 'Legal 3', our work team. I have since discovered that I am one of the best goal hangers in the world. Tap ins from a yard are my speciality, not being able to tackle, pass, beat anyone or run for more than twenty minutes tend to let me down though.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Burgess Hill Town (U16)

Briefly Balcombe and Cuckfield Youth

Cuckfield - Sunday League (so I could watch the Albion on Saturdays).

Retired at the grand old age of 23!
:drink:

edit: OOPS I forgot 2 years playing in a five-a-side league up in Crawley (at the Leisure Centre) played with the father of another NSC poster from Haywards Heath. Our team was imaginatively called Haywardians! (as we forgot to enter a team name).

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hassocks jrs till under 16 didnt lose a game at one point for 16 months

Hassocks Village

Hassocks and Clayton Village

Now Ditchling

Sundays
Hurst Hasbeens

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Christs Hospital 3rd XI

So , another CH boy appears!

Christs Hospital 2nd XI - 4 games 4 goals

Then floundered round in Disvisions 4, 5 and 6 of the Gosport & Fareham Sunday League.

Long since retired - having scored an o.g. in a narrow 10-3 defeat in my last ever match

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Whitehawk - under 11s. Partnered Darren Freeman on my debut and we lost 17-0 to Queens Park Jags!
Lampeter, Wales - under 13s. Manager drove 25 miles to pick me up for a game in Shrewsbury as I was staying at a mate's house. Hid under the bid. We'd had a midnight feast and I felt sick.
Stanborough School, Welwyn Garden City
Welwyn Pegasus - under 18s.
Little Northern - Sussex Sunday league, two seasons. Was 19 and voted in as chairman the night before first game of season. As is fitting for the role I smoked a very fat cigar. Came off at half time having missed a penalty and open goal, but scoring a 30 yard screamer, to throw my guts up.
Mainstay Anchor - Pitch Invasion. Three championships on the bounce.
The Bhangers - Pitch Invasion. One title.
Unity FC - Pitch Invasion. One promotion, one relegation.

Journeymen footballers, eat your heart out!

Currently out with a Spigelian hernia, common in the over 50s. I'm 31!

U

um bongo molongo

As a goalkeeper -
Hove Park Colts,
Blatch Mill,
39th Brighton Cub Scouts

then realised playing in goal is dull (and kept breaking my fingers) so moved to outfield for a less than illustrous career taking in

BHASVIC 3rds (seconds around exam time),
my hall at Uni,
International Students College, London (never went there but lived nearby)
The Marquess of Exeter
the odd mate's side in London when they're short

Now retired aged 27 after finding it harder and harder to get out of bed on a Sunday morning.

:nono:

Oct 25, 2003
St. Andrews Primary(in defence! those who know me will find this rather amusing)

Worthing Dynamoes(mainly for 2nds but played a fair few for firsts, this was when i could run)

The mighty OLD VARNDEANIANS YOUTH in both 11 a side and at westows

RS2 at pitch invasion

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
name:matt newnham
position:midfield/striker

career:

played for saltdean from about 7 as a midfeild meastro, in this time played against jakey robinson and he destroyed us.

finished playing for saltdean at the age of 16.

a brief spell as manager and player of mejona united in which we wion the wooden spoon and then folded.

top scorer at the annual scouts 6 a side footy tournament wtih 7 goals in 4 games. got a nice little trophy for that.

now play for kingston broadway as a stiker and have 6 in 13 games......despite a 8 match run without a goal :lolol: :wave:

also won 2 cups with saltdean school! hoorah!

as i have no pace i really hope i can play for a long time as a 'target man' with my 6ft 4 frame :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here