NSC State of the Nation: Who on here receives some sort of State benefit?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you receive some sort of State benefit?

• Yes

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 52 65.0%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not the Tesco published blurb that I read but this is dated about the same time(2007)

Supermarket boss swaps £250,000 Tesco salary for his own corner shop | Mail Online

Your original post seems to imply they are salaries for bods in charge of the produce section of a local supermarket rather than the salary of someone in charge of produce for the whole group. As much as I despise the stranglehold Tesco have, it is hardly surprising they pay those salaries to senior execs!!!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I receive the benefit of having to provide my papers to identify myself to the police for simply walking down the street.

I receive the benefit of having the state take my money, so it can give it to people it feels need it more than I do.

I receive the benefit of being forced to pay for the NHS, whilst also receiving the benefit of being told that this or that treatment is not allowed, the cost being more important than my health.

I receive the benefit of being forced to pay for a television channel which I might not even ever watch, and if I do watch it, I receive the benefit of getting biased information and propaganda, and generally being told what to think and how to feel.

I receive the benefit of watching as the state use the money which it took from me by force, in order to bail out large corporations and banks, and pay for bombs, bullets, tanks and planes used to blow up other countries, all despite the fact that I have a moral objection to all of this.

I'm so lucky.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Carer's Allowance

55 quid a week which in rough terms saves the state a grand for day care and more than double that for 24 hour support.

My £55 carers comes out of our joint ESA claim :eek:, but I get carers premium as I'm looking after my mrs, all £35 a week. So the difference between being unemployed and doing what I do 24/7 every day of the year is £35 a week despite the fact I'm saving the state £1000s every month :wrong:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My £55 carers comes out of our joint ESA claim :eek:, but I get carers premium as I'm looking after my mrs, all £35 a week. So the difference between being unemployed and doing what I do 24/7 every day of the year is £35 a week despite the fact I'm saving the state £1000s every month :wrong:

Indeed. I appreciate that we care for loved ones because we love them and would do so regardless but it must be the most undervalued "benefit" of all

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It has kicked in. If you're still receiving put it aside as you'll be paying it back.

Bum... has the deadline passed to opt out, or is it now a case of paying it back later (with the associated annoying paperwork)?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Had child benefit x 2 up to about 17 years ago. Nothing else. Don't work now, can't get job because too old, but can't claim anything either. Still too young for pension, though,

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Since when do you have to pay back child benefit?

1st January 2013.

'Paying it back' depends on how much you and/or your partner earns. You won't 'pay it back' directly, but will do so via self-assessment with HMRC who will tax you appropriately to take some/all of it back.

BBC News - QA: Child benefit changes

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bum... has the deadline passed to opt out, or is it now a case of paying it back later (with the associated annoying paperwork)?

Yup.

Apparently it's better to keep taking it and then give it back via tax for reasons to do with pensions and/or NI. I really don't understand it though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Indeed. I appreciate that we care for loved ones because we love them and would do so regardless but it must be the most undervalued "benefit" of all

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Actually,as in all things sock puppet you are wrong,I have no memory of EVER posting anything on ANY message board about ANY opinion on mass immigration but carry on you prat.

It was with your other account you spineless little jerk, "enigma", remember that one sock puppet?

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Out of interest, would you classify tax relief on pension contributions as a form of benefit from the government?

That is the biggest piss take. People who really need a hand building a pension and can least afford it, get 20% tax relief so pay in £80 and get it topped up to a £100. In doing this they get an effective 25% boost to their pension pot. Those on 40% tax get every £60 boosted to £100. That's a bonus of 66%.

The government have lowered allowances giving an illusion that the pain is being shared, yet the single, fairest thing they could do, would be to harmonise tax relief.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of interest, would you classify tax relief on pension contributions as a form of benefit from the government?

That is the biggest piss take. People who really need a hand building a pension and can least afford it, get 20% tax relief so pay in £80 and get it topped up to a £100. In doing this they get an effective 25% boost to their pension pot. Those on 40% tax get every £60 boosted to £100. That's a bonus of 66%.

The government have lowered allowances giving an illusion that the pain is being shared, yet the single, fairest thing they could do, would be to harmonise tax relief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports