Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Motorcyclists...

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The standard Z that I rode was not the greatest TT. The exhaust made this high pitched whining noise like a car going backwards. Apparently, according to the dude at my local garage, getting a decent exhaust fitted makes a big difference to the power.

Surely you are not suggesting that leaving a bike as standard is appropriate behaviour :wink:

That being said my VFR is standard and will be staying that way!

Leaving a bike Standard, Snooky? What, me?! Methinks thou be in jest good sir. Now if I could only get that elusive Lotto Jackpot, that recurring dream of my Fireblade-engined Spondon would no longer be just a dream. :down:

*SIGH*

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
How much new & used?

Moped = no nod. Crosser = nod. Other bike = nod. Harley type bike = no nod. 125cc sports bike = definite nod.

Thats how I do it.

I tend to not nod to peds, but nod at pretty much all other bikes.

The only ones who tend to never nod back are the BMW GS riders. Think they think they are a bit better than everybody else.

Think a new VFR 800 is about £8,000.

I paid £6,000 for one with 7000 miles that was just over a year old.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Time for CM's favourite motorbike etiquette question:

You bikers nod at each other when you pass by each other on the road, but what do you do if you're driving towards someone on a moped? Do you pretend not to notice them or do you nod as if you would with anyone coming towards you on a 600 or 750cc machine?

Ignore the noddy fuckers.....:cool::cool:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Ignore the noddy fuckers.....:cool::cool:

I love allowing a little gang of them to catch me up in town, then dipping the clutch and disappearing off into the distance with a nice smooth wheelie.

Hugely immature I know, but it makes me grin from ear to ear

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I love allowing a little gang of them to catch me up in town, then dipping the clutch and disappearing off into the distance with a nice smooth wheelie.

Hugely immature I know, but it makes me grin from ear to ear

This... And with boy racers in their souped up Flymo's ( corsa's).

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
This... And with boy racers in their souped up Flymo's ( corsa's).

Hugely satisfying Muzzy.

On the A24 last week I matched a very nice looking Ferrari up to about 110mph. He was not happy. In fact I had him easy for the first 30 metres or so which he really was annoyed about.

Made me wish I had a Blade that day. Then could have matched him up to 150 at least.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
A few years ago I had a tear up with an imprezza, I was on a Ninja 900... We did Pompey to Lewes in 36 mins!!! He gave me a run for my money I can tell ya.. He must of been a test driver for Maclaren FFS I couldn't shake him off! Great battle that was.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
A few years ago I had a tear up with an imprezza, I was on a Ninja 900... We did Pompey to Lewes in 36 mins!!! He gave me a run for my money I can tell ya.. He must of been a test driver for Maclaren FFS I couldn't shake him off! Great battle that was.

Those little battles are great.

I find that car drivers struggle to keep up through corners where you would expect them to be a lot quicker.

If honest, riding fast is all about the size of your balls anyway.

Modern bikes are so good most amateur bikers never get to the point when the bike is at its limit, even in bends.

The rider normally fails before the bike will.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Although I have been driving over 25 years, I only took and passed my big bike test last year. After passing I started off with a big old Triumph Sprint 900 which I loved but was a big heavy beast and eventually the old girl developed a terminal problem with the sprag clutch starter. That gave me a good excuse to get something newer so I got a 07 plate Honda CB1300S which although it is a big engine feels lighter and handles better than the triumph. I love it and feel that your first bike will usually end up being something you see and get drawn too and then obsessed with before you buy it! I also think you can get a first bike as big as you like as the key as others have said is riding it to your own limitations and not trying to do anything too stupid.

Dec 29, 2011
RAS (restricted access bike test) very soon. Bit nervous. Been riding about 4 years and think i'm a very safe driver but have a tenancy to do stupid things under pressure.

Any tips and any words of reassurance ? :D

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
RAS (restricted access bike test) very soon. Bit nervous. Been riding about 4 years and think i'm a very safe driver but have a tenancy to do stupid things under pressure.

Keep calm and forward plan... On a bike you have to think for all the other road users too!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

I have a few rules that I use:

1. Always look where you want to go, the bike will follow.
2. Assume every other motorist is trying to kill you and respond accordingly
3. Never take a bend in a position where you could meet yourself coming in the opposite direction
4. Never ride in a group that is traveling faster than you want to go. You will just take risks.
5. Keep one eye on the road surface, looking for diesel, loose gravel etc

Apart from that its all good fun.

Oct 9, 2010
CRAWLEY
Although I have been driving over 25 years, I only took and passed my big bike test last year. After passing I started off with a big old Triumph Sprint 900 which I loved but was a big heavy beast and eventually the old girl developed a terminal problem with the sprag clutch starter. That gave me a good excuse to get something newer so I got a 07 plate Honda CB1300S which although it is a big engine feels lighter and handles better than the triumph. I love it and feel that your first bike will usually end up being something you see and get drawn too and then obsessed with before you buy it! I also think you can get a first bike as big as you like as the key as others have said is riding it to your own limitations and not trying to do anything too stupid.

My Triumph Daytona's getting on now but no sprag clutch issues yet only done 6500 miles

Attachments

• 2008_0514T595TRIUMPH0002.JPG
    2008_0514T595TRIUMPH0002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 302

Jan 21, 2012
My little 125 is the same as my picture. Great looking thing for a 125. I've done 8000 miles on it in a year and i have loved every single mile on it. Biking is the way forward... i hate driving my car now.

Dec 29, 2011
My little 125 is the same as my picture. Great looking thing for a 125. I've done 8000 miles on it in a year and i have loved every single mile on it. Biking is the way forward... i hate driving my car now.

Agree with all of this, however jumping in the car on rainy days is a treat when I can't be bothered with all my wets + jackets and gloves and neckwarmers etcetc

Dec 29, 2011
Keep calm and forward plan... On a bike you have to think for all the other road users too!

3. Never take a bend in a position where you could meet yourself coming in the opposite direction
4. Never ride in a group that is traveling faster than you want to go. You will just take risks.

Thanks for the tips. I do most that stuff already which is reassuring. I'll keep you posted :)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The Honda Hornet is a better build quality and superior ride than the bandit 600.
Been up and down the cc on bikes over the last few years ranging from 200 to 1400 , but currently on a 600 Hornet, but to be fair i only use it for quick jaunts around town and going to the Amex, in fact it not been out of the garage since the last ganme of the season :down:

2008%252BHonda%252BHornet600RR%252BBlue.jpg

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea

Very good advice that.

Definitely looking where you are going I key.

Could save your life. Look round trouble not at it. Where your eyes look the bike will follow.

Also remember your lifesavers. They are called that for a reason.

And lastly ride within your limits.

Essentially what he said.

Ha ha ha.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here