Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Americas B

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Could 'The Scottish Van Persie' Jack Harper (born in Malaga) be a makeweight for the Spanish bench.?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Could 'The Scottish Van Persie' Jack Harper (born in Malaga) be a makeweight for the Spanish bench.?
yeh why not. Him and Johnny Dixon can keep each other company

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Spain 3-6 Europe A
Europ A
5-1 Americas B
Spain 1-1 Americas B

Europe A would romp the group, and a demoralised and deflated Spain would slip up as a result of a late Kemy free kick.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This thread has inspired me to want more similar threads as we move into the long, dark winter month.

I may resurrect the UK Comedy Cup tournament (which I abandoned at the Semi Final stage 9 years ago, in disgrace), or set up something new...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've gone Rest of Europe A. The prospect of pairing German ace Pascal Gross with Austria's finest Ashley Barnes is an Anschluss made in football heaven.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
just over a day left in this, when the quarter finals will begin

current standings

1. Spain 30
2. Rest of Europe A 14
------------------------------
3. Americas B 0

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm surprised so many have Spain ahead of Europe A.
For me (Clive), the Spanish side is absolutely chock full of top talent, with not many weak points.

The Europe A side's defence is weaker, the midfield is painfully slow - the strikeforce is the only position where Europe is stronger, and even then they don't have anyone the standard of Vicente and Ansu Fati. I think Spain are a decent shout to make the final, if not win it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
For me (Clive), the Spanish side is absolutely chock full of top talent, with not many weak points.

The Europe A side's defence is weaker, the midfield is painfully slow - the strikeforce is the only position where Europe is stronger, and even then they don't have anyone the standard of Vicente and Ansu Fati. I think Spain are a decent shout to make the final, if not win it.
Good points but I have to disagree.

I'd say Europe's defence is stronger as they have players playing in their natural position even if individually the best two players are in the spain back four.

The premier league quality of Moder and German International Gross has too much guile for Championship level Orlandi, Spanish Dave and Vicente. Remember, it's the Albion version of the player so not prime Vicente. Plus there's no way he can play every game in a tournament like this.

Up front Europe has it in the bag. Shit house supreme Barnes alongside prem goal sniffer Undav and the mercurial brilliance of Sergei Gotzmanov has a bit of everything and towers over Ansu Fati, Fran Sandaza and Colunga.

While the potential Vicente/Fati link up is enticing with Sandaza and Colunga in their starting line up Spain are essentially playing with two men down. The all round solidity topped off with their goal scoring threat means Europe takes it for me.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Just feel like if Rest of Europe man marked Fati with simply every single player then Spain just wouldn't be able to score

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
also I reckon Kishichev could do an absolute NUMBER on Vicente

snap his knees after 5 minutes

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good points but I have to disagree.

I'd say Europe's defence is stronger as they have players playing in their natural position even if individually the best two players are in the spain back four.

The premier league quality of Moder and German International Gross has too much guile for Championship level Orlandi, Spanish Dave and Vicente. Remember, it's the Albion version of the player so not prime Vicente. Plus there's no way he can play every game in a tournament like this.

Up front Europe has it in the bag. Shit house supreme Barnes alongside prem goal sniffer Undav and the mercurial brilliance of Sergei Gotzmanov has a bit of everything and towers over Ansu Fati, Fran Sandaza and Colunga.

While the potential Vicente/Fati link up is enticing with Sandaza and Colunga in their starting line up Spain are essentially playing with two men down. The all round solidity topped off with their goal scoring threat means Europe takes it for me.
I think you're mildly overrating Moder there. Even non-prime Vicente was capable of moments where he just floated past an entire midfield like they weren't there.

Barnes and Undav isn't that special a supporting strikeforce if we're honest - plenty of work rate but a LOT of missed chances also. Fati only needs 1 chance, and he'll get tonnes with that midfield supplying him, and Sandaza making his crazy horse runs.

For me there are two players on the pitch who have either been world class, or have the potential to be. They both play for Spain.

Europe A to huff and puff but not capitalise - Barnes to miss a sitter. Spain to play it round them, conserve energy and then strike against tired legs a couple of times in the final third of the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
DUPLICATE - Ignore

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think you're mildly overrating Moder there. Even non-prime Vicente was capable of moments where he just floated past an entire midfield like they weren't there.

Barnes and Undav isn't that special a supporting strikeforce if we're honest - plenty of work rate but a LOT of missed chances also. Fati only needs 1 chance, and he'll get tonnes with that midfield supplying him, and Sandaza making his crazy horse runs.

For me there are two players on the pitch who have either been world class, or have the potential to be. They both play for Spain.

Europe A to huff and puff but not capitalise - Barnes to miss a sitter. Spain to play it round them, conserve energy and then strike against tired legs a couple of times in the final third of the game.
For sure Vicente and Ansu Fati are wild cards for the Spanish but...they weren't world class for the Albion.

Vicente would glide past lumbering championship midfields/defences. The truth is that spain midfield is, in Brighton terms, a championship midfield whereas Gross and Moder are proven premier league performers. We all know how good Gross is. Vicente in a pre Albion life was world class but Gross is THE best player on the pitch in terms of Albion performances. By a long way.

Barnes and Undav is miles ahead of Sandaza and Colunga. And Gotzmanov. I'd argue he did as much if not more in a Brighton shirt as Vicente did. In a shorter space of time too.

I just can't see Spain getting the result against an overall very solid Europe A side.

It's all immaterial anyway as unless they self combust it'll surely be the america's taking the trophy hime.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm calling the Group stage now with the quarter final line up as follows

Spain vs France & Belgium
Americas A vs Wales
Rep Ireland vs Scotland
Africa vs Rest of Europe A

I'm sure you can all agree there are some SUMPTUOUS ties there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here