Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now the travellers are in Withdean Park!

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
But it does exist everywhere you turn, doesn't it:
- can't tell the old jokes about the Irish, the Scots, the Poles
- Can't use a raft of terms to describe foreigners, handicapped people, etc
- can't call people fat
- golliwogs are now unacceptable collectors' items

There are hundreds of examples of words and phrases you can no longer use because of political correctness, so to say it barely exists outside the imagination of the tabloid press is just not true.

Its called progression.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
This is what my local council are planning to do to combat the problem..

Travellers could have their vehicles seized as officials get tough on the rising number of illegal camps in Coventry.

Caravans and motor vehicles would be confiscated and sold to pay for the cost of evicting the travellers from parks and open spaces.

Deputy city council leader Phil Townshend will present the hardline idea at a meeting of the Coventry Police and Crime Board this afternoon.

Speaking to the Telegraph ahead of the meeting, he said: “We are a tolerant city with great depth of human kindness, but we are being taken advantage of.”

Full article here: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/travellers-moving-onto-public-land-7756411

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
'Togher stance'? 'Friendly areas'? You're still talking nonsense.

This administration - along with all administrations - takes the legal route regarding disruption, eviction and so on.

'Tougher stance' has no meaning in this instance.

Sorry to have to ask this but you seem to speak from authority about the council as far as the travellers are concerned. May I ask how?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
This is what my local council are planning to do to combat the problem..

Travellers could have their vehicles seized as officials get tough on the rising number of illegal camps in Coventry.

Caravans and motor vehicles would be confiscated and sold to pay for the cost of evicting the travellers from parks and open spaces.

Deputy city council leader Phil Townshend will present the hardline idea at a meeting of the Coventry Police and Crime Board this afternoon.

Speaking to the Telegraph ahead of the meeting, he said: “We are a tolerant city with great depth of human kindness, but we are being taken advantage of.”

Full article here: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/travellers-moving-onto-public-land-7756411

So where are you going to move to next?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Can also confirm coincidental thefts from the stables up in Mile Oak (including actual horses) at times when travellers are in the area. Also in my teenage years working at Sainsbury's they used to park at the back of the car park for a week or so, send their kids in to steal and the security guards would do absolutely nothing to stop them. "Do you want to go over there?" was the response I got when asking about it. It wasn't even a secret. They didn't even try. They just walked in, picked stuff up and walked out. I've never seen anything like it!

Oh and last year my parents next door neighbour (85) was charged 400 quid to have her tiny driveway powerwashed by two nice men in a white transit van.

Now I'm not saying that EVERY new-age, nomadic fellow is a thieving scumbag. Not by any means. I'm sure some of them are lovely, warm-hearted, law abiding, tax paying citizens just trying to eek out a living... but a lot of them seem to really do a fantastic job of meeting their stereotype whenever I've come across them.

Funnily enough, before Uni I worked for a summer in the Coop in Patcham (Old London Road), and share pretty much the exact same experiences.

They'd come in, fill their pockets, and run out. We weren't lucky enough to have a security guard, so if you questioned the little ****'s, you'd be threatened with the old 'we'll get the boys in the van with their pick-axe and chainsaw'. You'd also get the 4/5 big chaps wander in, damage a crate of beers, and ask for a discount for the goods being damaged. Oh, and the 14/15 year old kids who'd come in for fags (and happen to all have irish accents), without any form of ID, and call you all the names under the sun when refused, as well as being threatened.

Starns, the little DIY store in the village was done over whilst the old lady (I believe in her 70's or 80's) was running the store on her own, whereby she lost a few hundred quids worth of stock.

Likewise, playing and training for football at Waterhall quite often, you notice the huge amount of human excrement. In fact, I also remember numerous equipment being nicked from us, hidden in caravans, which coincidently were guarded by nice friendly German Shepherds chained to vans.

Isn't it funny how all of these stories appear. Sooner something's done about it the better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But it does exist everywhere you turn, doesn't it:
- can't tell the old jokes about the Irish, the Scots, the Poles
- Can't use a raft of terms to describe foreigners, handicapped people, etc
- can't call people fat
- golliwogs are now unacceptable collectors' items

There are hundreds of examples of words and phrases you can no longer use because of political correctness, so to say it barely exists outside the imagination of the tabloid press is just not true.

Can't do ANYTHING these days can you? PC gone mad.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry to have to ask this but you seem to speak from authority about the council as far as the travellers are concerned. May I ask how?

I talk on a regular basis to councillors - of all parties - on a variety of issues, some of which I hear about first on here. I'll go back to them, and get their take on it. Sometimes it's something that is quite worrying; at other times it's having to correct some absolute drivel that the Argus has written. The latter is quite a common theme for all parties.

In private, most talk about city-wide issues quite openly and quite encouragingly. In public, many (though not all) talk out of their arses, which is a pity because you know what they're doing - as a rule - is toeing a party line.

For all the twaddle written and spoken about councillors, what their roles are and how they go about them (and it's evident many on here don't know who is responsible for what), most of them care deeply about the city, and their opinions (in private) do largely co-incide with those of councillors of other parties.

In this instance, no councillors are actively welcoming the travellers, but all of them, frustrated as they are by certain aspects of the law, like and need to be seen to be operating within the rule of law.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I don't like the term "pikey" irrespective of whether it actually is racist but because it's usually used in an abusive way to stir up hatred. Having listened to a young person describe how she was constantly yelled at and called "pikey" when she walked up her street purely because her family came from a traveller background I can understand how it feels to be singled out and discriminated. I think it also detracts from finding a solution about travellers

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
But in the context of this thread, people have only used certain words in a pejorative context. Nobody has been criticised on this thread for a reference to a meat -based dish popular with northerners. Similarly, you can refer to the Queen all you like, it's not going to upset anyone. If you called someone a "mincing ****ing queen", on the other hand, quite rightly, somebody might get annoyed.

I really can't be doing with all this "PC gone mad" stuff, which in reality, barely exists outside the imagination of the tabloid press.

That's a bit of a irony 'PC gone mad stuff' as the removal of the 'derogatory' word from the title thread is a very good example of PC gone mad!' Yeah yeah yeah I get the to 'avoid grief for Bozza' point, but surely the police have better things to do than trawl chat forums looking for examples of 'hate crimes?' 'PC gone mad' to me is probably Bozza having more chance of getting a visit from the police over a 'derogatory' word on here than if his house was broken into.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That's a bit of a irony 'PC gone mad stuff' as the removal of the 'derogatory' word from the title thread is a very good example of PC gone mad!' Yeah yeah yeah I get the to 'avoid grief for Bozza' point, but surely the police have better things to do than trawl chat forums looking for examples of 'hate crimes?' 'PC gone mad' to me is probably Bozza having more chance of getting a visit from the police over a 'derogatory' word on here than if his house was broken into.

Let's assume you're right about the police not turning up. How would you replace the income from Google if the plug was pulled ? You may not remember why we now that the forum called "The Other Stuff".

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I don't get why they can't just be evicted straight away. It's absurd.

*apologies for use of the word "they"

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think you need to be careful how you use the word general, as I am sure most travelers, as annoying as you may find them, dont do any of these 3 things I think its more that you find them an annoyance.
LOL as you think most gypo's clean up after themselves. You do post some shite at times.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Let's assume you're right about the police not turning up. How would you replace the income from Google if the plug was pulled ? You may not remember why we now that the forum called "The Other Stuff".

Like I said I get the 'avoid grief for Bozza' bit and I do realise nsc has to be sensitive to google and amazon etc but to me it's PC gone mad removing the 'derogatory' word from the title thread. As for replacing the income without having access to the nsc accounts I can't comment

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't get why they can't just be evicted straight away. It's absurd.

*apologies for use of the word "they"
You sir, have just offended me using that term! What are you stuck in the seventies!!?[emoji30]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm sure every sane person hates a criminal, but the term is derogatory towards all travellers. Not all of them are thieves.

Having said that, I reckon very few pay any sort of tax.

you don't tend to hear about any being prosecuted for that or any of the damage that occurs ..for example gate posts..padlocks etc ..
..one of the things i find so frustrating is that they just move from one 'green' area to another with some ease ..i wonder how much money is being spent on all these evictions and the clear ups that take place after they have left a 'site'

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
I've thought of a new nickname " TICs ".............transient Irish criminals.

Is that ok ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here