Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now the novelty has worn off would you go back to the Goldstone?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Call it rose tinted specs, call it sentimentality, but yes, like a shot!

(If I could be 23 again, too, that would be even better!)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Nope, I loved the place... but it was uncomfortable, the views were restricted from some stands, and there was no beer.

I do miss the stroll across Hove Park before and after the match though.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Don't like the Amex. I would like us at withdean. We'll never make the premiership and enjoyed our promotions and relegations at Withdean. Can see us fighting relegation for years at the Amex that's if we don't get relegated this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Easy to get nostalgic over the goldstone but I think one game would be enough to realise what we now have

Indeed.

I also take issue with the basic premise of the thread - 'now that the novelty has worn off...' Not for me it hasn't. I'm still now, after 70- odd games, stunned by the place, every time.

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
goldstone was great and had lots of character but let's be honest the place was a dump in the end,l half the terraces were closed no roof on the east stand, and for me the novelty has not worn off, I still can't believe the amex is ours, one of the best stadiums in the country, just lacks atmosphere but that will come in time

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Don't like the Amex. I would like us at withdean. We'll never make the premiership and enjoyed our promotions and relegations at Withdean. Can see us fighting relegation for years at the Amex that's if we don't get relegated this season.

Premiership = Egg chasing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It was worse but it was better. The rough and ready nature of the ground brought a rough and ready type of supporter. It's all a bit middle class and safe now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only plus was I always parked on Chrome Productions so could arrive 5 mins before kick off and still be in the South Stand seat in time and was on the road home within 10 mins of final whistle.

Is that the place that gave off an acrid smell that I noticed mostly at evening games after the tunnel walking up to the ground at the South end?

The only thing I don't like about the Amex that I would swap for the Goldstone is location. Getting to and from the Amex is a pain and really time consuming. Getting to and from the ground in Hove was a pleasant walk most of the time, even if it was a long one when we had big crowds. I did live within a 20 minute walk when we played there though.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003

Blimey! You are probably a very nice bloke but with the greatest of respest I'm really glad i don't have you sitting next to me at the AMEX.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Goldstone is best left in the blue tinted glasses past, can you imagine what it would be like sitting in the north stand on plastic seats with no leg room and we would get crowds of 10k for big games 7-8K for others.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Loved the Goldstone but i still look at the Amex when we are playing and cant believe it is ours.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Taking my Daughter to football. Never would have done that at the Goldstone. I think football has changed as much as we've changed. All seaters with little or no trouble. If you want the old times go to a few away games and see what we are missing re crumbling grounds.
Regarding pipe smoke. My late Uncle smoked a pipe and could be smelt 100 yards away and always lit up in the west stand.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd be very happy to go back to the Goldstone for ONE game. No more than that. I feel like maybe people's gripes with the Amex are really gripes at "modern football" in general and would still exist even if we weren't there. The Amex is utterly incredible.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes. Without a doubt. There's few better feelings in footie than walking up to a football stadium surrounded by streets and houses for a midweek game. It just feels right. I've never really felt the love with the Amex in that regard.

And don't forget Buzzer we had the park to have proper fights in as well.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yes. Without a doubt. There's few better feelings in footie than walking up to a football stadium surrounded by streets and houses for a midweek game. It just feels right. I've never really felt the love with the Amex in that regard.

Agree with this aspect.

However, I think the Amex is a fantastic place and a million times better than the square box that you would get if it was surrounded by streets and houses.

Some sort of Tardis affair with the fantastic shape, size and outer grounds of the Amex, trapped among back-to-back terrace housing, transporting me back to my Northern roots.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I hate to agree with Buzzer, but he's right on the money here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here