Now is the moment we should get excited

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ipswich were top when we beat them

Hull were second when we beat them

Ipswich have dropped like a stone, but fair enough.

It's still a decent run of games you have had - which has put you in a great position of not needing to beat the teams around you.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ipswich were top when we beat them

Hull were second when we beat them
And we look to be a much better team than Cardiff who if they'd beaten us would now be above Middlesbrough, Burnley and Derby....

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It's the lower teams that hold the most dread for me, the ones in the bottom 5.
I worry that we just wont get up for them and see the points as a formality, as has happen on several occasions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I worry that we just wont get up for them and see the points as a formality, as has happen on several occasions.

We've beaten Rotherham & Bristol City.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I have read several posts from people saying that we should not get carried away and get too excited. I completely disagree. We are football fans and it is times like these we have to get excited. If you contain your excitement too long then we might be caught and we might not go up and you will regret not enjoying it while we were flying high. Obviously the players need to stay focussed but for us fans it is time to dream about what might be and enjoy the position we find ourselves in.

If you are not excited now then you take some pleasing.
1) we are four points clear
2) 6 points clear of third
3) longest unbeaten run at the start of the season for us ever
4) a living legend has not only return but he has scored not just one but two late winners in the last few days
5) we have an amazing ground to call home

Yes we might not go up but if you are not thrilled to be witnessing this then you need to have a long hard look at yourself and consider why you follow football. This morning I told my young son that we had won again and his face lit up when I said Zamora had scored a late winner "again?" He said. "Yes I beamed" as I realised just how much fun this has been

Long may it continue but if it doesn't then I have loved every second of this season (apart from watching COG convert his pen at Walsall)

Have you heard of the concepts of being quietly confident, not counting your chickens, not setting yourself up for a fall by being a triumphalist? etc etc

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I am not pessimistic, we have a great chance. But still a little cautious.

This league is simply nuts, the margins are slim, games often close and anyone can beat anyone.

A Truly fantastic start, but whilst we've drawn a few games we should've won, we've also won a few that we may of drawn.

We're not taking teams apart with the scoreline, its always 1 goal. Our strike force, whilst good, is not amazing. We're just edging games. Injuries and luck will likely change things as will the unknown of who Bloom might buy.

Its certainly a million miles removed from this time last year and better than any of us could've imagined at the end of last season.

We are one quality striker away from promotion. I'm sure that TB and CH will know this and will get the right man in when the January transfer window comes around. We wil never have a better opportunity to reach the promised land.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am not pessimistic, we have a great chance. But still a little cautious.

This league is simply nuts, the margins are slim, games often close and anyone can beat anyone.

A Truly fantastic start, but whilst we've drawn a few games we should've won, we've also won a few that we may of drawn.

We're not taking teams apart with the scoreline, its always 1 goal. Our strike force, whilst good, is not amazing. We're just edging games. Injuries and luck will likely change things as will the unknown of who Bloom might buy.

Its certainly a million miles removed from this time last year and better than any of us could've imagined at the end of last season.

Absolutely -so much to be grateful for, but still a slight doubt remains, and I am really trying not to be negative. We are in a brilliant position and I am loving every minute of it, but when we play teams like BC, Blackburn and Rotherham at home, it should not be this nervy. BZ is now proving his worth, thank goodness, but the two other strikers need to be that shade more convincing so that we do not win just by the odd goal. The first 30 minutes were not good last night, and credit must go to Bristol for that, obviously, their irritating time-wasting tactics excepted. But I felt that we started far too casually, and last night will hopefully be a wake-up call for Saturday.
A thought for you. Both Stephens and Kayal are, I believe, on 4 yellow cards, and we are playing Preston, on paper one of the weaker sides at home on Saturday. Strangely I said to my mate that I wonder if one of them would get a yellow late on tonight, so as to miss Preston and then the slate is wiped clean for more "important" (you know what I mean!) games. And then late on, Kayal runs at the free kick taker. Of course we were desperately defending the late free kicks, and it may just simply be that, but I do wonder . . .
Fanciful? It does happen, though will never be admitted.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have read several posts from people saying that we should not get carried away and get too excited. I completely disagree. We are football fans and it is times like these we have to get excited. If you contain your excitement too long then we might be caught and we might not go up and you will regret not enjoying it while we were flying high. Obviously the players need to stay focussed but for us fans it is time to dream about what might be and enjoy the position we find ourselves in.

4) a living legend has not only return but he has scored not just one but two late winners in the last few days

Yes we might not go up but if you are not thrilled to be witnessing this then you need to have a long hard look at yourself and consider why you follow football. This morning I told my young son that we had won again and his face lit up when I said Zamora had scored a late winner "again?" He said. "Yes I beamed" as I realised just how much fun this has been

Long may it continue but if it doesn't then I have loved every second of this season (apart from watching COG convert his pen at Walsall)

6. Eighteen points clear of relegation :moo:

Honestly though who would have thought of this start to the season....enjoy the here and now!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Before we get too down on the first part of last night's match it's worth remembering that Bristol City had not lost in their last three matches, scoring five goals in the process. They are a team increasing in confidence and we still managed to put them away while under-performing. Every promoted team there has ever been needs a few of those kind of results over the course of a season and we've seen two in a week.

I am loving it, loving it, loving it. If it doesn't last, the ride this far has been great.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You may miss it but that would be if we don't get promoted.
Very good point. I'm going to enjoy every minute with endless optimism from here on in.

Even if we only get 1 point a game from now we'll finish on 62 points, so I'd say playoffs are the minimum we'll get this year.

I have 1 worry - Just 3 ( THREE ) strikers in the squad ( I know Murphy and Elvis could fill in ), so either we sign another, or Hambo will need to step up and impress.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's our never say die attitiude that encourages me. Other than the 1st ever league game at the Amex, it took a very long time for us to win after going behind. We have the belief and ability to do that now.

A big win will come one day, although I still have nagging concerns about the conversion rates of our striker (BZ aside).

1 top striker and perhaps a creative midfielder in Jan, and we're looking good.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Before we get too down on the first part of last night's match it's worth remembering that Bristol City had not lost in their last three matches, scoring five goals in the process. They are a team increasing in confidence and we still managed to put them away while under-performing.

We have seen many worse teams at the Amex. I thought they were set up really well and looked technical and strong. They'll be in this league next season.
Easy to forget, after going a goal behind, what a good turn around that was against a very competent team.

Oh.......and we need to buy Kodija. Fit perfectly.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Have you heard of the concepts of being quietly confident, not counting your chickens, not setting yourself up for a fall by being a triumphalist? etc etc

Who is counting chickens? I said clearly that it might not last. My point is that we need to enjoy this run NOW. If we go up then we can also enjoy that. IF we did go up then we will lose more than we win so let's just enjoy winning. Sports fans spend too much time looking too far ahead, in fact humans can do this in life in general. Despite it being back to the future day we will not have this day again. Enjoy it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

It doesn't have to be black and white.

We are odds against getting promoted, so I am assuming we probably won't be, so I'm not getting my hopes up. But that doesn't mean I didn't love Bobby's goal yesterday, it doesn't mean I didn't love the victory, or the win against Leeds.

I'm enjoying the moment, but I'm being realistic. We are one of only 4 clubs that haven't won a game by more than a goal, we are only just ahead of the chasing pack and there is a long, long way to go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry thunderbolt I tried to give you a green and it went to a red. Apologies.
When you give the green thumbs up, it turns red, because pressing it again would take away the thumbs up you gave. That's what it's supposed to do. You can't give thumbs down anymore.

Bristol's win on Friday and Preston's 3-0 win last night makes that extra unlikely at the moment. To be honest, you'd have to be new to the Championship to think there are any formalities, and our team are not new.

We wil never have a better opportunity to reach the promised land.
After 12 games, you're probably right. But if we're still in the top 2 with a few games to go, or in the playoff final, I guess that would be a better opportunity.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Very good point. I'm going to enjoy every minute with endless optimism from here on in.

Even if we only get 1 point a game from now we'll finish on 62 points, so I'd say playoffs are the minimum we'll get this year.

I have 1 worry - Just 3 ( THREE ) strikers in the squad ( I know Murphy and Elvis could fill in ), so either we sign another, or Hambo will need to step up and impress.
Is that right? Just one point a game and we'd still be a contender for the play offs! One for the 'fun facts' thread. if you're right of course. I'm not doubting you but, are you sure?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm not excited about the prospect of promotion to the Premier League.
I personally feel it's far too early for me as the season is so long.

I am absolutely LOVING the season, loving being unbeaten at at the top of the table, no doubt about that!

We're coming to the end of the first 3rd of the season, I'll start to get excited if we're in the top 2 at the end of the second 3rd.
That's when I'll start to get nervous/excited etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here