Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Not the richest, not the biggest but none are better

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don’t agree that he owed them anything, he owes TB far more.

Anyway he walks on water for you whatever he does so I know I’m wasting my time.

I am guessing you’ll soon be a Chelsea fan as well. I don’t mean that as snidey comment either.

He owes nothing to Tony just like Tony owed nothing to Chris Hughton when he decided that other things are more important than loyalty.

Tony Bloom did not hire GP as a favour or charity, he hired him to manage his football team. It was a mutually beneficial deal - not one guy doing the other a bunch of favours.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I bet Potter and particularly Bruno is a bit gutted to leave the Albion and I think they will remember their time with us very fondly. It’s no different to say Zamora, who left after a couple of years and spent most of his career in the top flight, before coming back to the Albion right near the end. Zamora is a club legend, so is Bruno and so is Potter, we just can’t afford pay people £60M over five years, so sometimes our best players leave.

To be fair to Bobby - leaving us when he did was a huge step up and quite rightly he took the chance - we, at the time, could all understand his decision... obviously we were a very small club at that point. Hence his legend wasn’t tarnished or diminished.

To suggest GP and/or Bruno are gutted to have left us, well, that’s a stretch ... come on, they’re not gutted... their ambitious have been realised, dreams of milk and honey... it was a calculated in the extreme. Looking at our coming fixtures... tough ones, GP knew his star would potentially fall slightly... now or never? he took the money and ran and with it ripped some of the soul from the club.

His legend is tarnished - I suspect his reception when he returns will be very, very mixed... which by definition suggests he’s not going to be remembered that fondly, particularly by any fan over a certain age.

Has he chosen poorly ? Only time will tell.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Potter was never a fan of this club.

With the benefit of hindsight, his zen like persona, his constant 'it is what it is', never becoming too elated after a victory, or deflated after a loss, were clues. He was being honest in his feelings, because he never really cared that much about the club. His recent actions showed that when he received a better offer, he was out of here, like a jumping gazelle, accompanied by his pick of colleagues. Without a backward glance.
[MENTION=17482]Alan P[/MENTION], the fans are hurting. I suspect that Tony Bloom is hurting very deeply. Will you be telling him to 'get a grip'?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He owes nothing to Tony just like Tony owed nothing to Chris Hughton when he decided that other things are more important than loyalty.

Tony Bloom did not hire GP as a favour or charity, he hired him to manage his football team. It was a mutually beneficial deal - not one guy doing the other a bunch of favours.

I can accept Potter leaving but he has shown no loyalty to the man who gave him his big chance. I just don’t accept that it’s acceptable to leave Albion with NO first team coaching staff whilst doing it. We are not going to agree on this.

Hughton was sacked because the club was going backwards, totally different situation

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I bet Potter and particularly Bruno is a bit gutted to leave the Albion and I think they will remember their time with us very fondly. It’s no different to say Zamora, who left after a couple of years and spent most of his career in the top flight, before coming back to the Albion right near the end. Zamora is a club legend, so is Bruno and so is Potter, we just can’t afford pay people £60M over five years, so sometimes our best players leave.

I certainly would not call Potter a club legend. He had the potential to be, but at the end of the day, he had 1 good season as our manager and then shat all over us.

Legend? Not for me.

Judas? Possibly.

Bruno, yes but he's pissed on his own mural so I don't think I'd like to see him back. Zamora and Murray left but not in the same way.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
As far as I'm aware no manager or player has ever left the Albion to better their career when the club was sitting 4th in the Premier League, and only six games into what was shaping up to be (might still be?) our best ever season. The timing, and the gutting of our coaching staff, is what makes this worse than any previous events.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I certainly would not call Potter a club legend. He had the potential to be, but at the end of the day, he had 1 good season as our manager and then shat all over us.

Legend? Not for me.

Judas? Possibly.

Bruno, yes but he's pissed on his own mural so I don't think I'd like to see him back. Zamora and Murray left but not in the same way.

As an aside I hope the Bruno mural has been painted over?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I can accept Potter leaving but he has shown no loyalty to the man who gave him his big chance. I just don’t accept that it’s acceptable to leave Albion with NO first team coaching staff whilst doing it. We are not going to agree on this.

Hughton was sacked because the club was going backwards, totally different situation

Totally agree Icy. But you're arguing with a Potter fan boy not a Brighton fan. You must have learnt by now that you can never win with the Swedish Mastermind.

But don't worry, he'll be off to the Chelsea forum soon traipsing after his hero (hopefully).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Tony gave GP his big chance to manage a PL team and GP gave Tony his big chance to own a top 10 club. That was always the deal.

What does going backwards have to do with it all of a sudden? Is loyalty only important to you in good times?

Nope, we're not going to agree on it. Bruno and Ben Roberts are grown ups and made a decision on their own. Graham didn't force them to leave, he asked them. They should be responsible for their own decisions. :shrug: And while you struggle to accept it, they probably saw securing their families financial situation for life as more important than Tony Bloom.

If you were offered a 10x pay rise to swap your season ticket for a Chelsea season ticket, would you turn it down? If not, why do you expect others to?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Totally agree Icy. But you're arguing with a Potter fan boy not a Brighton fan. You must have learnt by now that you can never win with the Swedish Mastermind.

But don't worry, he'll be off to the Chelsea forum soon traipsing after his hero (hopefully).

I'm being logical here, while you're not.

You're deliberately choosing not to see it from Brunos or Roberts (or GPs perspectives) because it would all make it clear as a day that none of them are neither heroes or villains. Just humans.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I’ll leave it here

You are not a fan of any football club so you will never “get it”

In some ways I envy you being able to just follow a manager on his path to the top with no attachment to the clubs he passes through. The hurt for you will come when his star wanes.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I’ll leave it here

In some ways I envy you being able to just follow a manager on his path to the top with no attachment to the clubs he passes through. The hurt for you will come when his star wanes.

Well said Icy, my thoughts exactly.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’ll leave it here

I too have said similar on countless occasions, over the past few years... alas, I’ve never mastered the art of the succinct and eloquent quite so well :)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I find it incredible that you weren't aware that a 5x or 10x wage rise and the chance to go to a top club would make anyone move. Even Lewis Dunk.

How many more times does this need to be mentioned? IMG_6952.PNG

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ll leave it here

I don't mix emotions and reasoning because it results in flawed, illogical and unrealistic conclusions.

You do it differently, and thats fine.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I'm being logical here, while you're not.

You're deliberately choosing not to see it from Brunos or Roberts (or GPs perspectives) because it would all make it clear as a day that none of them are neither heroes or villains. Just humans.

Logic has nothing to do with passion, and therein lies the rub.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I don't mix emotions and reasoning because it results in flawed, illogical and unrealistic conclusions.

You do it differently, and thats fine.

I do hope that’s not excerpt from your lonely hearts ad ....

You must realise that you’re asking the impossible of devoted and passionate fans right? Like I say, cool calculated logic and reasoning cannot coexist with love ...

Why do I feel like Dr McCoy ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tony gave GP his big chance to manage a PL team and GP gave Tony his big chance to own a top 10 club. That was always the deal.

What does going backwards have to do with it all of a sudden? Is loyalty only important to you in good times?

Nope, we're not going to agree on it. Bruno and Ben Roberts are grown ups and made a decision on their own. Graham didn't force them to leave, he asked them. They should be responsible for their own decisions. :shrug: And while you struggle to accept it, they probably saw securing their families financial situation for life as more important than Tony Bloom.

If you were offered a 10x pay rise to swap your season ticket for a Chelsea season ticket, would you turn it down? If not, why do you expect others to?

I could choose any of your quotes on this thread to quote but I've highlighted the most inane here. No Brighton fan on this message board would accept money to swap their Brighton season ticket for a Chelsea one. It's an idiotic analogy that shows (again) you don't understand being an English football fan.

It's a shame because some of the other points are quite valid. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that if Bruno wasn't going to get the managers job or didn't feel ready for it that he'd follow GP to carry on learning. I don't think we should burn any bridges with him, he could come back and be a good and long term head coach here after whoever we get in next leaves. And your career progression as a keeper coach is simply measured in the size of club and quality of keeper. It's Roberts moving on to the only promotion he can get.

But it isn't that Potter has left that leaves a bad taste with all of us. It's the manner of it. Mid season with the club in the Champions League positions and a huge likelihood that a top club job will come up at the end of this season. Taking the whole team. Effectively, his first loyalty should have been to Tony Bloom and not his back room staff.

You said he was different, that he was a nice guy, not money motivated, wouldn't go to Chelsea. Quite clearly you were wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm no better than anyone.
Just a glass half full not empty.
You won't like that phrase either i expect?
Most things provide an opportunity if you try to be positive about things.

Seems like you have judged me?
Enjoy your day x

Optimism is not the same as grieving a loss. We have suffered several losses, the manager and loved coaches in Bruno and Ben.
I am optimistic about Tony Bloom finding a good manager.
I haven’t judged you. I’ve asked you not to judge us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here