not poyets fault losing murray!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Murray left in summer 2011. Barber joined in June 2012.

Just checking to see if you're awake Al! :whistle:

I'm just wondering who instigated & upheld the 'Two Pot' model which has been given as the reason Murray took the Croydont Shilling. It obviously doesn't count for a hill o' beans now, but it'd be interesting to work out what was actually goin' on at Albion HQ at that time innit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would question whether CMS earns less than Murray. I'd imagine it's rather likely he earns more, if not significantly more. Yes, Murray was signed on a free which means we could afford to pay him higher wages than we could if we had paid a transfer fee. However, Mackail-Smith was your record signing and I'm doubtful that he'd sign for £2.5m+ and accept the wage of a squad player. If he wasn't your highest earner at the time I'd be shocked, considering the size of the transfer and the expectations of him as a player.

Of course, now the whole thing looks like a mistake. Murray is clearly more gifted than CMS and is a better striker at this level, but this wasn't as evident last season and indeed at the time of the signings it looked like you'd signed a top player who would thrive at this level. It was a bold statement of intent from your club and nobody really thought it would backfire. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Regardless, there is absolutely no way that Murray would have scored 30 goals for any other side this season. The way we play is entirely based on our striker who is the focal point of every attack and is always available in the box. In our system CMS may have reached 20 goals by this point. I dread to think how frequently someone like Charlie Austin would score!

Do the current posting rules for Palace fans not apply to you?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?273429-Attn-Palace-fans

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The offer (as told by bz himself) could have totalled 3m but was 2m upfront. The offer was also made around Xmas when pushing for promotion under Taylor. He stayed, we got promoted, had him for a season almost stayed up and only got relegated on the last day. And then sold him for 1.5m.

Not much of a cock up at all when looking at facts.

Oh dear, the club licker is back

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
CMS signed for almost £3m and yet earns less than £13k per week? Blimey, you must have some fantastic negotiators and must be very convincing. If, as reported at the time, there was genuine Premiership interest, I find it tough to believe that he wasn't offer twice that amount elsewhere.

Barry Fry said publically that CMS turned down higher money elsewhere (especially Leicester) to come to Brighton. He would know as he is CMS's girlfriends father besides being a director at Peterborough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just checking to see if you're awake Al! :whistle:

I'm just wondering who instigated & upheld the 'Two Pot' model which has been given as the reason Murray took the Croydont Shilling. It obviously doesn't count for a hill o' beans now, but it'd be interesting to work out what was actually goin' on at Albion HQ at that time innit.

Ken Brown who was instantly dismissed 14 months ago. Make of that what you will (but don't post it here)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know the JCLs won't remember but Murray used to get slaughtered by our own "fans" so why are we bothered ?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Oh ANOTHER topic about Murray, christ some of our "fans" take the piss with their obsession over him :facepalm:

Where were they last season when Murray only scored 6 goals - less than Barnes and CMS.

Feb 14, 2010
I know the JCLs won't remember but Murray used to get slaughtered by our own "fans" so why are we bothered ?

I do remember he got stick that he deserved for behaving badly under Slade. That doesn't mean that we didnt see and say that he was a skilful player with a clinical finish. Poyet has done a great job, especially the midfield but the centre forward department has not been his finest hour.Its not anti anyone to say that, its just how it is.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Incorrect on three fronts. One he wasn't fussed about staying (so said his agent). Two he is on slightly more money at palace than cms is on here and three, when the story about dobbie comes out, itay be clear that he wasn't 'dropped'.

pmsl...ok, whatever you say....Cms turns down Leicester, West Ham and others and some of the muppets on here think, it's because of old charmer Gus, selling him the dream. So he bought it all and decided to turn down £15k more elsewhwere....Jesus, I wouldn't have wanted to be in Cms's shoes when I broke that story to the missus. Unless of course the truth is it was never like that in the first place. But it's good pr from the club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
pmsl...ok, whatever you say....Cms turns down Leicester, West Ham and others and some of the muppets on here think, it's because of old charmer Gus, selling him the dream. So he bought it all and decided to turn down £15k more elsewhwere....Jesus, I wouldn't have wanted to be in Cms's shoes when I broke that story to the missus. Unless of course the truth is it was never like that in the first place. But it's good pr from the club.

You run your mouth but never have any sources for anything do you ?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't see your logic at all:

- If you don't rate someone, you don't offer them a new contract at all.
- If he was desperate to stay, he would have stayed as he was offered a new contract. Not signing it because the money was not good enough is not the action of a desperate man.

And I will believe what @ROSM says before I believe you.

Murray was offered a contract, fact....But the terms of it were a piss take, almost insulting.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
FFS - how many "Albion" fans on here will be praying for a Palace win tomorrow just so they can smugly demand Poyets head and lament the going of Murray.

Some people on here want to hang their heads in shame - support the Albion - support Poyet - even if it's just for 90 minutes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I assume you're accusing Barry Fry and Darragh McAnthony are lying too.

Anyone else going to be a target for your scattergun approach to your fantasies?

ROSM really ought to know what he's on about on this matter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was told by a friend of Murray (an ex player), that he was offered a certain wage, Murray was about to accept it and then the club, for some reason withdrew that offer and made a substantially worse offer instead. I find that incredible and can't understand it if it's true.

For the record, I was an admirer of Murray, even when he wasn't playing well or looked disinterested I thought he was class. However I can't see any value in these constant threads week after week having a go at Poyet about it. Just what do people hope to achieve? The past is past, what's done is done, get over it for heaven's sake!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports