Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Not long to go before kick off - Where is your Albion Mojo?

Where is your Albion Mojo today?

• Total voters

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
His boss is living in cloud cuckoo land if he expects or even dreams of a top ten finish without giving Potter some new tools for the job

Is Bloom really that stupid? I think not, so we can expect signings before the window closes and good ones at that surely?

I'd love to think that you are right . . . but, l'm not as hopeful as you in the new striker department.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am amazed how low it is for some.

This is the best squad the club has ever had in our history! The longest we have ever been in the top flight. We have a top young manager who is destined for big things coaching a squad at a state of the art training ground and get to watch it all at an amazing stadium. Not to mention the best owner we could ever imagine having.

Just because we haven't signed this unicorn of a "20 goal a season" striker doesn't mean we are relegation favorites. We haven't had a 20 goal a season striker in the past 4 seasons and we are still here. Hardly anyone teams in the Premier League have a 20 goal a season striker outside of the very top clubs. Cheer up everyone and UP THE ALBION!

As someone who voted '1' I'd just like to say ..... you are of course 100% correct. Although we can't use Hereford and 1997 as the point of reference for absolutely everything this IS the greatest era in the Albion's history - and even if we get relegated this season that won't change.

So why is my mojo (and others) so low? I can't speak for anybody else but for me it's a combination of things. Firstly I've massively fallen out of love with football. My interest had been declining for a few years now, the main factors being price and the over-stewarded 'sit down, shut up' Matchday Experience (TM), but VAR and the refereeing changes pushed it over a cliff. Last season I didn't even bother watching Brighton on the TV - and I'm a Sky Sports subscriber! If we were playing I'd turn over and check the score every now and then, but I had no interest in the match itself. Sometimes I didn't ever realise we WERE on.

I'm hoping that a lot of this is down to the pandemic and that this season I will at least be interested enough to watch us on TV. Anyway I'll check the score on Sunday morning and if we've won I'll feel pleased.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Remember what Bloom said in regards to being in the top 10 on a regular basis, he didn't give a deadline as to when he expects that to happen. So yeah, we'll probably not sign a new striker this window as it looks like the target this is just make sure we stay up. Maybe we'll have to wait till next summer for that fabled striker. So mojo has gone down even more after that press conference. I'm sure it's the right thing to be saying but sometimes the squad needs a couple of new faces (Mewpu has been a good start) to lift spirits up a bit especially after quite a few players have gone already.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I think I put my Albion mojo in the useful box where I keep all sorts of odds and ends that could come in useful.
What usually happens is that I suddenly find a use for one of them - then I can't find the ruddy box :facepalm:

My mojo's at 7 - excited at seeing Mwepu in action, think a number of our players will step up having had another year's experience in the Premier League, and boy have I missed live football on a Saturday. It will go higher once some of our stars have recovered from injury, and when/if we reinforce the striker battalions ... :rave:

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
6, but if we make late additions such as Cucurella and Edouard or a Núñez, that'll bump me to 8.

Sign me up for mid-table mediocrity please [emoji38]

boik

Worryingly low at minute. We have sold so many players and raised over 60 mill and trimmed the wages which has been great to save 10 million a year, but as a result we look short in many areas as we simply have not brought in the quality additions that even the most blinkered fans can see we need.
Time is a ticking and we have done very little thus far Re the Striker and LB positions…my concern Is we we consider making offers and eventually fail whilst all those around us get on with good business as a result of some more dynamic recruitment…

Apart from Ben, who are the "so many players" we have sold that we will actually miss?

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Remember what Bloom said in regards to being in the top 10 on a regular basis, he didn't give a deadline as to when he expects that to happen.

He has since said that a top ten finish for this season is the target. This was said shortly after the last season finished.

Potter was fully signed up for providing the magic to outdo our budget in terms of results so what on earth is this talk of him expecting 16th?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Potters about a 5 I think. Can't even be arsed to have a shave.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
7 - looking forward to beers in the sun (hopefully) a week on Saturday at The Amex.

Still cautiously optimistic we'll have the right squad at the end of the month and reassured by the lack of corporate Bull about how wonderful we are so far this summer, it's refreshing

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Exactly where I’m at. HOWEVER, I am looking forward to going to games again, so that raises me to a 7. But I’m a little bit astonished we haven’t strengthened any of the glaring issues in our squad - I expected some Veltman style ‘unveiling’ of new signings we had already lined up in the three areas you mentioned, as they are so obviously what we need. And that makes me worry that the problem is a bit deeper - why can Brentford keep signing and developing great strikers and we can’t?

You’re probably being a bit more honest than me. Come 17:30 on Saturday 21st, I’m going to be absolutely buzzing no matter what players come or go. Being in a packed Amex in my normal seat surrounded by the familiar faces is going to blow me away. Just a bit blinkered by our potential ins and outs at the moment and not thinking about that day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He has since said that a top ten finish for this season is the target. This was said shortly after the last season finished.

Potter was fully signed up for providing the magic to outdo our budget in terms of results so what on earth is this talk of him expecting 16th?

Indeed.

The irony is that many's mojos will be low at the prospect of yet another season shuffling around the bottom half and flirting with relegation. So many people skirt around the truth that in PL football very often relative budget = position.

To think that 16th/low 40s points is our ceiling is to somehow implicitly criticise a Chairman, who is burning a fortune keeping this club going, for not spending more and, for good reason, most won't. Potter was brought in to break that hegemony another way yet many seem unprepared to criticise him because of our budget! And the low mojos keep on rolling in.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Indeed.

The irony is that many's mojos will be low at the prospect of yet another season shuffling around the bottom half and flirting with relegation. So many people skirt around the truth that in PL football very often relative budget = position.

To think that 16th/low 40s points is our ceiling is to somehow implicitly criticise a Chairman, who is burning a fortune keeping this club going, for not spending more and, for good reason, most won't. Potter was brought in to break that hegemony another way yet many seem unprepared to criticise him because of our budget! And the low mojos keep on rolling in.

Maybe some people are just a bit more patient than you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Patient football fans are right up there with risk adverse traders, ambition-free CEOs and discerning McDonalds diners - they don't really exist.

The whole point is that football is instant and visceral and that each game week will generate reaction, banter, crowing, sorrow and happiness. Win and you're top of the world (and about to text or tweet your loser mate), lose and you go home and "kick the cat".

You're trying to apply rational thought to something that most fans regard as a way of life.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A rather over-optimistic 6 .... standing still usually means going backwards in the Prem, as it stands, we have sold a major asset (for a good price) but have yet to significantly strengthen our squad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Patient football fans are right up there with risk adverse traders, ambition-free CEOs and discerning McDonalds diners - they don't really exist.

The whole point is that football is instant and visceral and that each game week will generate reaction, banter, crowing, sorrow and happiness. Win and you're top of the world (and about to text or tweet your loser mate), lose and you go home and "kick the cat".

You're trying to apply rational thought to something that most fans regard as a way of life.

Keep saying it but TB is as responsible as GP for our perceived under achievement. No way you can point at one without pointing at the other if you are going to have a gripe. I’m not, I am very happy with both and understand why - we keep trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear because we don’t have the clout to pay wages and fees for the players who will make a big difference. Having said that my mojo is quite low because with the current squad it will take a miracle to move very far up the table, if at all :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Damn, you caught me.

:shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

How long are we expected to be patient for? For all the changes in staff (playing and non-playing), tactics, styles and all that jazz we’re still, arguably, in exactly the same position we were in before our very first PL match four years ago of hoping there are three teams worse than us when this kicks off. I think when you consider it in those terms people are entitled to feel a bit fed up with another round of “here we go again”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here