Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Enthusiastic About The Euros?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Guess I am just too old and jaded now but not up for it at all. I remember being an 11 year-old crying in bed after the West Germany game in 1970 and thinking that it was 4 years until we'd get another chance (Euros didn't seem as big a deal then). Well it's been 46 and I find it hard to believe anymore. So hope I am proved wrong though.

el punal

Guess I am just too old and jaded now but not up for it at all. I remember being an 11 year-old crying in bed after the West Germany game in 1970 and thinking that it was 4 years until we'd get another chance (Euros didn't seem as big a deal then). Well it's been 46 and I find it hard to believe anymore. So hope I am proved wrong though.

Never get your hopes up! After that cock-up by Ramsey in taking Charlton off when we were 2-0 ahead against West Germany resulted in us completely losing the stranglehold on the game, and ultimately the match itself.

Fast forward nearly four years, my friend and I had booked our annual leave for the 1974 World Cup in Germany. Then, England played Poland at Wembley for the must win match to qualify for the tournament. We didn't, it was Ramsey's last match in charge. I was gutted along with the other 100,000 fans at Wembley that night. The train back to Brighton was like a morgue, and although it was packed no one said a word. I never want to go through that experience again.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm looking forwards to it more than any tournament since the World Cup in 1994. That year I'd just graduated and stayed on in Leeds working in pubs around Headingly, having lock ins for the late games and generally indulging in bacchanalian ribaldry.

This time I'm looking forwards to it because I didn't want last season to finish. Some off the stuff served up by The Albion, particularly from February onwards, made this grizzled, cynical, middle aged git fall in love with the beautiful game anew. Never thought it would happen, a bit like finding your true love once you've moved into a retirement home.

Don't really give a toss who wins it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here