Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Enthusiastic About The Euros?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I need to get one. Which is the best?

This weekend's papers were where it (was) at, I'm afraid! You'll have to go and beg in WHSmiths!

I've settled on the Time one from Saturday - nice and clear - all the ko times / venues, etc, and fits on my kitchen door. The Mail one from yesterday is really good, but is MASSIVE, and won't fit anywhere!

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Well the competition is almost upon us and I'm finding it difficult to get excited about any of it. Don't get me wrong, I would love England to be successful but they have got previous, in recent years, of failing miserably when they need to produce. In my view, the last competition that England showed something approaching a degree of flair and excitement was in 2002 - with Beckham's fantastic free kick to get us to the finals and his penalty against Argentina (of all teams!) in the finals themselves.

Since then we have flattered to deceive. England expects and all that and then fails to deliver. Will it be the same this time? I hope not, but my jaded view has come about not only because of England's shortcomings but I'm emotionally drained after Albion's heroic season. I need a rest . . . well, until next season's fixtures come out!

So I will watch the Euro proceedings and, hopefully, will be pleasantly surprised if England triumph - after all it is forty years ago since THAT golden moment. You never know.

Nadia Comăneci :love:

Nadia-Comaneci-JO-1976.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I shall watch the majority of the matches as I enjoy watching football. I will support England as I always have done because they're my team.
Disappointment is linked to expectations so I don't get my hopes up. If we do well, then it's a bonus.
Indeed. And after 50 YEARS of consistent failure when we have NEVER reached another final by now the expectations are at a reasonable level. Only the very stupid now have us as among tournament favourites, and then after the inevitable disappointment rationalise away every failure by saying the manager was 'useless' and that the players 'didn't care'.

And who knows? With the burden of expectation off the players they might not stink the place out for once.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Enthused? Yes, but a lot more realistic than in the past. We have a young team , untried at this level so anything could happen
With 2 out of the 4 group teams progressing and the third one playing off , we ought to get out of the group .After that it is the luck of the draw.....let's hope we can avoid a top team until the later stages.

C'mon England !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A big fat T H I S.

Wall chart is UP.
Yep. And along with that, my 9 year old daughter loves football, so we can watch a load together.

Expectations of England doing well are low, so I'll just try and enjoy watch the others.

I cannot wait.

I expect absolutely NOTHING from England so will not be disappointed. Its a Major Football Tournament FFS.

My cup floweth over, as they say.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The last time I was excited about international football was Euro '96 because I was eleven years old and I still had some hope that we'd achieve something. Since then? Not so much.

Also, Gazza's goal against Scotland is objectively the best England goal ever scored.

My favourite ever England goal was Gary Lineker against West Germany at Italia 90. Not perhaps the most flair-esque but simply because I thought we'd become world champions again when it went in. School the next day was like a funeral after losing on penalties.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a fair shout. But it wasn't Gazza's against Scotland, was it?
Not sure what you mean. It was indeed a different goal, scored by a different person, against a different team.

Gazza's against Scotland was sublime.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I shall be watching - great excuse for a few beers on a school night - for a month! Can't see the downside really.

Only would prefer some of it to be on Sky so I have an excuse to sneak off to the pub to watch.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I actually forgot it was starting this week until I heard it on the radio earlier. Watched none of the warm up games (I was on my hols so have an excuse) and can't remember being less interested in a major international tournament my whole life.

I'm sure once it kicks off I'll get my mojo for it but I just can't seem to connect with the modern footballer/England team.

Then again I don't watch a huge amount of Prem football, didn't watch a single second of the Champions League and my whole footballing world just revolved around the Championship.

God I love that division. If only it paid better....

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Hard to get enthusiastic about England or our chances if I am honest. Heard the golden generation talk too many times before and this crop are shining in arguably the weakest top division in England for sometime (check recent European cup performances so validate that)

However England aside I still cannot help but get excited by international tournament football and looking forward to kicking back and being entertained by a constant supply of matches and colourful support for the coming weeks.

Jul 7, 2003
After such an exciting Championship season it is fair to say that the bi-annual England disappointment is something that has passed me by – so much so that it was only yesterday that I checked the fixtures whilst talking to a friend who invited me to a BBQ on Saturday night and to watch the game.

As for the rest of the games, I’m working for the Wales game (iPad by the desk to watch on iPlayer maybe) and for the last game I fly back in from working abroad that afternoon to go to a comedy gig in Brighton. It also appears that, in the unlikely event that we were to get to a semi-final (stop laughing there) I will be in out of the country for both games.

I'm sure I'll watch a few games - especially the Czech games if Jiri plays - but mainly because there is nothing else on the telly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Our defence is so sh1te every game could end up 3-2, I'm expecting our matches to be exciting but good as our attackers are they won't be able to compensate for the fvckw1ts in defence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's wrong but I think I'm more excited by Skalak's involvement than I am England's.

That's nothing to do with me trying to be in with the cool kidz by knocking England.
I think it just signifies how far removed I've become from non-Albion related football, at a time when the Albion have me so excited/emotional/depressed/frustrated. (delete as appropriate)

Oh, as usual, I do reserve the right to jump on any available bandwagon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here