Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nostalgia - Old Restaurants and Bars in Brighton

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dave the Gaffer said:

Worked there glass collecting, good for pulling the birds, tarts, chicks sorry women

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Deryk Carver

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Mongolian restaurant in what was the Queen Anne Pub?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
my wife's nan used to run the Golden Cannon in Kemp Town, The Constant Service and some other pubs in Kemp Town back in the 40's-60's

From a very long time ago ...

The Cottage

The Lorelei

The Edlin's pub with no name on West Street

The Kolbeh, where the rich Persians hung out

The Alliance, the cider house in Edward Street

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
From a very long time ago ...

The Edlin's pub with no name on West Street

Edlins?

Going back to the days when Dave the Gaffer was my superior there used to be a huge deli in Duke Street, which I think was called Edlins. Possibly where there was/is a cookie shop when I last visited town.

A proper deli with meat on the bone where you could spend your luncheon vouchers.

I was often sent round with Pat the filing clerk for the elevensies.

Anyone also remember the sandwich shop next to boots called billy bunters. Huge beasts of sandwiches with a pile of crisps.

And a final mention to the old fish shop called alan johns?, in church street that did the finest prawn sandwiches, again somewhere DTG would send me.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Re: Re: Nostalgia - Old Restaurants and Bars in Brighton

Dave the Gaffer said:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

do you remember when Mr K's put the lights in the dance floor

:rave: :rave: :rave: :rave: :rave:

As I recall they were installed when they refurbed what was 'the Gloucester' into Mr K's.

I think they pioneered the pay all inclusive entrance fee. About £7.oo and you get drink yourself silly all night.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
rool said:
Edlins?

Going back to the days when Dave the Gaffer was my superior there used to be a huge deli in Duke Street, which I think was called Edlins. Possibly where there was/is a cookie shop when I last visited town.

A proper deli with meat on the bone where you could spend your luncheon vouchers.

I was often sent round with Pat the filing clerk for the elevensies.

Anyone also remember the sandwich shop next to boots called billy bunters. Huge beasts of sandwiches with a pile of crisps.

And a final mention to the old fish shop called alan johns?, in church street that did the finest prawn sandwiches, again somewhere DTG would send me.

This is true...how wonderrful to have power...:angel: :angel: :angel:

wasnt the Deli in Duke St called Debs Delli? used to do eggy baps to die for.

The prawn sandwiches at the place in Church Street was in fact the finest fish shop in Christendom...FACT

Morning Kev

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
This is true...how wonderrful to have power...:angel: :angel: :angel:

wasnt the Deli in Duke St called Debs Delli? used to do eggy baps to die for.

The prawn sandwiches at the place in Church Street was in fact the finest fish shop in Christendom...FACT

Morning Kev

No Edlins, if that's what is was called was behind the Wilson Bristow offices in North Street.

Debs Deli, egg and spring onion baps, is in that street that I can't remember that continues from Bond Street towards Kensington Gardens.

And afternoon to you sir, how was your holiday?

scooter1

How soon is now?
Debs Deli, egg and spring onion baps, is in that street that I can't remember that continues from Bond Street towards Kensington Gardens.

Gardener St??
they did the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel, with the tiniest bit of salmon and f*** all cheese - 95p

scooter1

How soon is now?
Saw my dads band support Toyah Wilcox at Jenkinsons in the early 80's

Whoever posted on the first page that is was a shithole couldn't have got much closer to the truth...
Are they actually revamping it down there in line with the whole Kingswest/Odeon thing?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
rool said:
No Edlins, if that's what is was called was behind the Wilson Bristow offices in North Street.

And afternoon to you sir, how was your holiday?

long time ago now....had a really great time thanks...decent weather, decent food, great way to spend 25th Wedding Anniv!

Yes you are right, Debs was in Duke St(?)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
scooter1 said:

Gardener St??
they did the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel, with the tiniest bit of salmon and f*** all cheese - 95p

That's the one.

Those bagels were a bit mingy but cheap. I have to say the standards did drop over the 13 years I frequented the place but then a lot more competition came into the area too.

The worst place was the one in Bond street that the two old ladies ran. Filthiest place I ever witnessed. They never washed their hands between handling money and then the food, never used gloves and I'm sure the surface and the knives only got cleaned once a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here