Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Northern Soul Prom

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
On the subject of records . . . We did of course trawl the shops in the 80's 90's, day trips to London, even Croydon ( beanos RIP) everythings got so much easier, and to a great extent the thrill has gone. . . .

having said that, I got asked to spin a few tunes this weekend. I'm sifting through 7" funk and soul as my valet types!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
(Do I Love You) Indeed I Do.
I believe its making a bit of a comeback.
As someone who is getting married next year, this will be our 'first song'.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Playing some lovely stuff today:

ns13.jpg

Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for really enjoying listening to this on playback. I know it'll be on the telly, but I wonder if they will release it as an album at some point
Looking around, it seems that there are no plans to broadcast this on the TV. I know they can't televise every one of the Proms but you would think it would be good to show special ones like this which are likely to broaden the interest of people who think the proms are just classical stuff.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Looking around, it seems that there are no plans to broadcast this on the TV. I know they can't televise every one of the Proms but you would think it would be good to show special ones like this which are likely to broaden the interest of people who think the proms are just classical stuff.
According to Radio4 Friday afternoon.( Feedback?) It'll be shown over August bank holiday weekend, I think it was Stuart Maconie stating it .

Jul 7, 2003
According to Radio4 Friday afternoon.( Feedback?) It'll be shown over August bank holiday weekend, I think it was Stuart Maconie stating it .
That's good - I was hunting around at the weekend and the only thing I could find was something that said there were no plans to show it at that time. Maybe the number of hits it has had on BBC Sounds has made them reconsider.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmm. I'm sure it was great (I didn't watch it), but at the risk of sounding like a moaning old git I HATE all that pop crap in the Proms.

Ok, no 'risk' I AM a moaning old git; but aren't there enough pop music festivals and pop music programmes on TV already without them also taking over the Proms? Can't we have one series of programmes on music that isn't based round 3 minute tunes?

Anyway, it was Beethoven this weekend. The 5th on Friday (with THE most recognised intro in music) and then the quite magnificent Choral Symphony (9th) on Sunday. I'm not a huge Beethoven fan but it was absolutely brilliant. More of that please, BBC.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It’s on Tv on August 26th

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That's good - I was hunting around at the weekend and the only thing I could find was something that said there were no plans to show it at that time. Maybe the number of hits it has had on BBC Sounds has made them reconsider.
No. It was always going to be shown on TV at a later date.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hmmm. I'm sure it was great (I didn't watch it), but at the risk of sounding like a moaning old git I HATE all that pop crap in the Proms.

Ok, no 'risk' I AM a moaning old git; but aren't there enough pop music festivals and pop music programmes on TV already without them also taking over the Proms? Can't we have one series of programmes on music that isn't based round 3 minute tunes?

Anyway, it was Beethoven this weekend. The 5th on Friday (with THE most recognised intro in music) and then the quite magnificent Choral Symphony (9th) on Sunday. I'm not a huge Beethoven fan but it was absolutely brilliant. More of that please, BBC.
There are 8 weeks of Proms - all of which are live on Radio 3 and many are on TV . Only a handful are related to “pop”.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

Mostly I agree with you. I usually hate orchestral pop and rock music. The LSO doing Stairway to Hwaven is almost as bad as Rolf Harris doing it. However, those soul tunes were made for big orchestration and works really well.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's being shown on August Bank Holiday Monday on BBC2.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Mostly I agree with you. I usually hate orchestral pop and rock music. The LSO doing Stairway to Hwaven is almost as bad as Rolf Harris doing it. However, those soul tunes were made for big orchestration and works really well.
Yeah, that's fair enough and like I say I accept I'm a moaning old git. It's just the principle of the thing that grates a bit with me. When I first started going to the Proms in the 1970s you never used to have to try and avoid the pop ones as I don't think there were any, it was always 'classical' music. (Cue somebody posting something that proves me wrong!) Now the pop stuff's creeping in. Where will it end? Spice Girls at Glyndebourne?

(As an aside I'm also finding the presenters extremely irritating, they're way too gushing, but that's another story. Not a patch on dear old Richard Baker!)

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Yeah, that's fair enough and like I say I accept I'm a moaning old git. It's just the principle of the thing that grates a bit with me. When I first started going to the Proms in the 1970s you never used to have to try and avoid the pop ones as I don't think there were any, it was always 'classical' music. (Cue somebody posting something that proves me wrong!) Now the pop stuff's creeping in. Where will it end? Spice Girls at Glyndebourne?

(As an aside I'm also finding the presenters extremely irritating, they're way too gushing, but that's another story. Not a patch on dear old Richard Baker!)
Gosh, Spice Girls at Glyndebourne is almost Partridge-esque. Bound to happen one day.
Agree that there is too much gushing in the presentation. Let the music speak for itself.
BTW a Welsh newsreader was due to be presenting some of the Proms this year, but is now otherwise engaged.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I had noticed on BBC sounds they added the rest of the encore - Tainted Love and Do I Love You (Deed I do).
yes. previously because it overran - they had been included in the next programme. A welcome edit !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here