Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand police box fans

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Frankly last night was a joke. The North Stand should be ashamed of that level of support, when we can't even be bothered to sing 'Seagulls' for corners you know we are in trouble. The left side crew were all asleep as far as I could tell, the police Box guys are too far away from me to hear and the people in the middle are getting quieter by the game.

I don't want to hear the team played crap, so there was nothing to get excited by. We were quiet from the beginning, before the teams performance had any chance to influence the atmosphere.

This forum is full of people bemoaning our atmosphere without doing anything to improve it. We don't want drums because it is tinpot, we take the piss out of teams with drums at every game. Yet it is surely more tinpot to not sing at all, drum or no. We do not like this song because it is too European, we don't like that one because it is 'cringey', we don't like the police box guys because they sing the same song for too long. Is it any wonder people do not want to make the effort with the constant barrage of criticism that comes from this forum?

It is time to stop moaning about everything and everyone and actually put some effort in. All of us.

Join in with every song you can hear (even if you find it cringe worthy).
Sing one more verse on every song.
Try starting a song up once a game.
Get in your seat a bit earlier and cheer the team on to the pitch.

and finally try and remember that we do not have a divine right to be beating the likes of Barnsley.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
i hear the sound of distant drums and they are getting nearer,not long now before the club opt for palace style support hoods and drums,the fat,bald real ale drinking 40+ option has failed big time!

I know you are being a little tongue in cheek here. But to be honest here, you are correct. A large portion of the Police Box crew and some of us from the middle went to watch Deportivo in the international break. We have seen how a drum can be used properly, and more than a few of us are beginning to think, why should we listen to the no drum it is tinpot brigade. Nothing could be worse than last night, and it isn't getting better it is getting worse.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
think if there is some honesty here, even at the playoff game at the Amex Palace's support was better than ours - not in terms of volume, they were outnumbered at least 10-1, but in constantly making noise all game and trying to lift their team. I don't know why but there is a real apathy at the Amex, whether that's the stadium design, the large number of 'new' fans, or the fact the football just hasn't been that exciting, but it is definitely there and the club (and support) need to try and address this issue as it is simply not a fortress at the moment. Quite the opposite the Amex seems to be going out of its way to be welcoming to away teams/fans - maybe BHA as a club and support are just trying to be 'too nice' and need to create a fear factor. Just a thought but it wouldn't hurt having the away support nearer our hardcore support - I know these days everything is sanitised and football wants to be seen to be 'friendly' but just cannot beat a slight air of threat and intimidation in any ground and that is just so lacking at the Amex.

think if there is some honesty here, even at the playoff game at the amex palace's support was better than ours - not in terms of volume, they were outnumbered at least 10-1, but in constantly making noise all game and trying to lift their team. I don't know why but there is a real apathy at the amex, whether that's the stadium design, the large number of 'new' fans, or the fact the football just hasn't been that exciting, but it is definitely there and the club (and support) need to try and address this issue as it is simply not a fortress at the moment. Quite the opposite the amex seems to be going out of its way to be welcoming to away teams/fans - maybe bha as a club and support are just trying to be 'too nice' and need to create a fear factor. Just a thought but it wouldn't hurt having the away support nearer our hardcore support - i know these days everything is sanitised and football wants to be seen to be 'friendly' but just cannot beat a slight air of threat and intimidation in any ground and that is just so lacking at the amex.

They are near the south end of esu which is truly hardcore???

i know you are being a little tongue in cheek here. But to be honest here, you are correct. A large portion of the police box crew and some of us from the middle went to watch deportivo in the international break. We have seen how a drum can be used properly, and more than a few of us are beginning to think, why should we listen to the no drum it is tinpot brigade. Nothing could be worse than last night, and it isn't getting better it is getting worse.

it was not tongue in cheek!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Please not a drum. We don't need a drum. We need all the singers together in the middle of the North Stand next season, that is the only solution. If the club have to annoy a few people by moving them then so be it, 99% of them will still renew.

Last night I was stood next to an old couple, who clearly didn't want to sing or stand or Do anything but watch the game. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but why are they in the North? Yes I know everyone has the right to buy a ticket wherever they want, but that is the problem. People like that should be actively discouraged from going in the North. There are twenty thousand other seats they can choose from. I realise that's probably going to upset some people, but I guess it depends on how important you think having an atmosphere is. When I get to the point where I just want to sit down and watch the game, which I no doubt will at some point, I'll move somewhere else. I don't understand why anyone would want to go in the North of they don't want to sing and make a noise. Even the 'some people want to watch from behind the goal' argument is dead now, as they can go in the South.

The North holds only 9% of the home capacity of the Amex. Surely 9% of our fans want to sing and make a noise? Maybe there has to be some kind of membership thing, like the NSK but much bigger and more inclusive. Something that everyone in the North is involved in. Not this 'ultra' bollocks, but something that gets people involved, and gets the singing organised. The right people in the right places in the stand. These terraces in Germany don't just sing with 20,000 spontaneous voices in harmony, there is a lot of organisation behind it. I don't think we need that level of organisation but there has to be something that can be done to get the North rocking every game, with the whole stand singing. I don't think it can be done without the club's help though.

I know some people will think anything like this is 'cringey' (I'm sure it's only Brighton fans that have this weird obsession with that word) and that the atmosphere should just come naturally and spontaneously, but football has changed, and people need to accept that this doesn't happen anymore. This is the modern, sanitised, Americanised version of 'soccer', and the old days are gone. A new way is needed if we are to create a cathedral of noise at the Amex, even if it means leaving our 'cool' at the door a bit.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
The thing is, there are allsorts of people in the north stand because it's the cheapest option and a lot of these people who are going the their first game and choosing north because of the price. The club need to get involved and make it a singing section, I'm the the center and it's no good at all, I find myself singing alone which gets me embarrassed :blush:OK GUYS

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The thing is, there are allsorts of people in the north stand because it's the cheapest option and a lot of these people who are going the their first game and choosing north because of the price. The club need to get involved and make it a singing section, I'm the the center and it's no good at all, I find myself singing alone which gets me embarrassed :blush:OK GUYS

Good point. Is the North more expansive than the South then? If that's the case then that is a problem.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
those that want to sing should put aside old memories of the North being the only stand to be 'seen' in and go to the South en masse where they can engage with the away fans far better. The north at the Amex is simply not the north at the Goldstone and never will be. Get that banter going with the away support and the rest of the crowd may join in. I am sure the club could easily designate a part of the south as being for those that want to sing and that would get around the fact the north is so divided for many reasons and therefore will never be a united stand in terms of being the lead generator of singing/atmosphere etc.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
those that want to sing should put aside old memories of the North being the only stand to be 'seen' in and go to the South en masse where they can engage with the away fans far better. The north at the Amex is simply not the north at the Goldstone and never will be. Get that banter going with the away support and the rest of the crowd may join in. I am sure the club could easily designate a part of the south as being for those that want to sing and that would get around the fact the north is so divided for many reasons and therefore will never be a united stand in terms of being the lead generator of singing/atmosphere etc.

It will only need a couple of hundred or so "singers" in the South Stand engaging with the away fans to get the whole crowd going. As a teenager in the North Stand at The Goldstone we all sang for 90 minutes , one song finished and your mates would give you a pat on the back for starting another one straight away. The problem with the North Stand is the matchday tickets are at the cheapest price point so the occasional matchgoers , parents with young kids and first time attendees opt to go in there.

It will only need a couple of hundred or so "singers" in the South Stand engaging with the away fans to get the whole crowd going. As a teenager in the North Stand at The Goldstone we all sang for 90 minutes , one song finished and your mates would give you a pat on the back for starting another one straight away. The problem with the North Stand is the matchday tickets are at the cheapest price point so the occasional matchgoers , parents with young kids and first time attendees opt to go in there.

A big opportunity was missed in not making the north west corner a singing section/under 25 area???

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

Well the "major" and his 2 ? guests ? apparently went last night , did they join in or were they delayed at the end of falmer station ?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Yep, time to bring on the drum. Something has to be done. The West Stand may as well not exist.

You know it botty ! I dont like it personally ( cause its near me ) but it does get the singers going . In saying that it wasnt there last night and the atmosphere was good .

Bez

Jul 14, 2003
I think when the gang moved to under the police box things got worse, they used to be a little more central which helped the songs move along the whole stand, they were a better link.

The Goldstone north stand never used to sing for the whole game, but the singers used to all be together,

For me its simple, just join in the songs.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
In my opinion what would best help the atmosphere would be for everyone interested in singing and creating an atmosphere to relocate to the south stand next to the away fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here