Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] North/South divide

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Now I know everyone has a different opinion on where the norf starts, but after Southampton’s victory (🤮) yesterday, in next season’s Premier League, there will only be FIVE teams from the widely accepted area of northern England and traditional football hotbed - City, United, Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle.

None from Yorkshire by the way which must come as a MASSIVE blow to the fans from the world powerhouse clubs in that county.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Maybe Boris Johnson and Michael Gove can join the FA and work on a leveling up plan.

In all seriousness, there’s no such thing as a north south divide. There IS a have and have not divide, but they’d rather we didn’t focus on that so they create labels that can divide rather than unite people.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Half the division from London and the South Coast
Would be interesting if Pompey can do an Ipswich! Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth and us in a South coast mini league. 20% of the Premier league along a 100 mile stretch of the coast

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Maybe Boris Johnson and Michael Gove can join the FA and work on a leveling up plan.

In all seriousness, there’s no such thing as a north south divide. There IS a have and have not divide, but they’d rather we didn’t focus on that so they create labels that can divide rather than unite people.
OT but that is perfectly true. A lot of people down here in the South take great comfort from feeling superior given our apparent wealth compared to other areas of the country, giving no thought to the millions who live in the South whilst immured to a life of scrapping about and slogging for little money.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I Live in Norfolk, Nice and flat, some nice canals and rivers and sandy beaches.

Long way from the Amex though

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
By "culturally the same", did you mean "genetically identical"?
Haha, no!
You and your cousins may be culturally the same as those Norfolk folk, but hard to think of it as south as Norwich is further north than Birmingham.
I once worked with a lad from Norwich, he became a friend and it struck me how seamlessly he fitted in on the South coast. My wife's best friend is from Suffolk, she immediately commented when visiting Eastbourne for the first time, that she felt completely at home - referring to the 'feel' of the place and said it felt like where she grew up in Felixstowe. My eldest has lived in Norwich the past 3 years and I have visited frequently. They may be further north than Birmingham but culturally in my opinion, they are the same as us. Proving that culture is more important than genetic heritage when one examines a sense of belonging. It is also noticeable that what we tend to regard as the South coincides neatly with the old divide between Anglo-Saxon England and the Danelaw.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
i think you should read the thread again
I’m merely saying that 25% are from the middle part of England (if we accept Ipswich into that group.)

If we don’t accept that, then more than half of the premier league are from London and the south, not half.

But, who cares where we are all from? Otherwise this becomes a divisive anti-Yorkshire (and Lincolnshire, Cumbria, Cheshire, Staffordshire etc) thread.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Haha, no!

I once worked with a lad from Norwich, he became a friend and it struck me how seamlessly he fitted in on the South coast. My wife's best friend is from Suffolk, she immediately commented when visiting Eastbourne for the first time, that she felt completely at home - referring to the 'feel' of the place and said it felt like where she grew up in Felixstowe. My eldest has lived in Norwich the past 3 years and I have visited frequently. They may be further north than Birmingham but culturally in my opinion, they are the same as us. Proving that culture is more important than genetic heritage when one examines a sense of belonging. It is also noticeable that what we tend to regard as the South coincides neatly with the old divide between Anglo-Saxon England and the Danelaw.
I've lived in most parts of the country (not the north west, but I'm happy enough with that) and barring a bit of variation in the type of beer you can easily find in pubs I wouldn't say there's a huge amount of difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here