Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Noone to Cardiff - ** Confirmed **

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They were not in a very strong bargaining position. They needed our up-front cash.

Spot on. We paid up in full in cash (so to speak) and it paid one of their tax bills. At the time other clubs were sniffing about but we were the only ones prepared to splash the cash.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That makes no sense at all (I'm not saying you're wrong). If a selling club lets the player have a medical and agree personal terms, the buying club can then knock a bit off the price, because the selling club are hardly going to want their player back after they've set their heart elsewhere. The buying club takes no risk, the selling club can end up with an unhappy player back. I suppose it could work if it's early in the transfer window and you know a player is going, but you're not yet sure to whom.

Can work both ways, I suppose. If the player and club go through all that trouble, negotiate terms that both are happy with, are they going to want to back out? The selling club can then jack the price up, especially if there is a significant length of time left on the contract. The selling club doesn't have to sell and if the buying club wants him they have to pay, if the player wants to go, he has to put pressure on the club that wants him.

But I imagine it's most likely it's terms are informally agreed, and it's just a case of paperwork or finer points.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
We can argue about who is better but, at the end of it, Gus Poyet is managing the situation.

Whatever, If Nooney goes he will do so with my very best wishes as he has been an excellent footballer and a fabulous entertainer for us Albion fans and I wish him all of the very very best !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can work both ways, I suppose. If the player and club go through all that trouble, negotiate terms that both are happy with, are they going to want to back out?
I don't see it like that. We're talking big money, over £1m, so if a few hours have been wasted agreeing terms, so what. Meanwhile the selling club gets a player back that wants to be elsewhere, which causes problems in the dressing room.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
and...if it is true that he was at the team photo this morning, then does that mean this has all happened this afternoon? Or would have been part of the photo knowing he had a drive to Wales? If it was this afternoon, that is bloody quick business...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't see it like that. We're talking big money, over £1m, so if a few hours have been wasted agreeing terms, so what. Meanwhile the selling club gets a player back that wants to be elsewhere, which causes problems in the dressing room.

I think it would depend on the player and the move. If, using Noone as an example, if he is happy and settled at Brighton, but Brighton say Cardiff are interested, they're making noises of paying enough, would you like to talk to them? They talk, they agree terms. Then Brighton and Cardiff fall out, and Noone stays, why would he be so unsettled? Yeah, he could have got a bit more money with Cardiff, but he likes it here, he is settled here, he'd have to go house hunting, maybe live out of boxes for a while, and so on.

If it was a chance for a move to Liverpool or Man Utd, I could see it unsettling him, but Cardiff? I doubt it's the sort of club he dreams of playing for, at most it would be the missing out on a pay rise, but people have that in every job - team leader positions come up, etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gutted if honest. Thought Noone and Bruno linked up really well against Barnsley.
I can't help thinking my dog with the rank arse would link up well with Bruno.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
SSN: 'Noone joined the Seagulls from Plymouth Argyle 18 months ago and he has established himself as one of the best players in the Championship.'

I love Noone, and do think on his day he's a fantastic player, but would we as Brighton fans really go as far to call him one of the best players in the league?

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
He is a good player who has started season well and selling him to a rival is stupid.
I really like the lad and will be v sad to see him go.
Met him a few times and a really nice lad too.
Good luck if he does go hope gus knows what he is doing ?

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
SSN: 'Noone joined the Seagulls from Plymouth Argyle 18 months ago and he has established himself as one of the best players in the Championship.'

I love Noone, and do think on his day he's a fantastic player, but would we as Brighton fans really go as far to call him one of the best players in the league?

No. I will be sad to see him go, but mainly because he is a top, top bloke. As you say, on his day he is very good, but I am not really concerned by him leaving (in terms of its effects on our team).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here