Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Sport......How do you stand? Veil ban 2010 France.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apologies if this comes across as a bit far right-ish, but if you emigrate to a country be it France, UK, Australia or wherever, shouldn't you adopt that country's practice in terms of dress and culture rather than impose your own (I do realise it doesn't happen). I accept the religious argument and the fact that in some instances, circumstances dictate emigrating elsewhere, but surely it's about respecting the culture that already exists.

So in terms of the thread agree with the ban.

???? So, what you're saying is that you expect Muslims to wear a stripy jumper, a beret and sling a string of onions around their neck?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I read about this over the weekend on the 'non mainstream' media of the BBC site....its a law thats going to cause shit, no matter what. Will people be banned for wearing scarves across their faces in winter conditions?
Ive seen plenty of muslim women, particularly new converts. being interviewed praising the veil, and not feeling 'oppressed' in the slightest.
I think all religion is medieval mumbo jumbo, but if people want to practice it, not sure im in a position to tell them not to.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I read about this over the weekend on the 'non mainstream' media of the BBC site....its a law thats going to cause shit, no matter what. Will people be banned for wearing scarves across their faces in winter conditions?
Ive seen plenty of muslim women, particularly new converts. being interviewed praising the veil, and not feeling 'oppressed' in the slightest.
I think all religion is medieval mumbo jumbo, but if people want to practice it, not sure im in a position to tell them not to.

Plenty of women in abusive relationships will swear blind they are not

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
its a law thats going to cause shit, no matter what. Will people be banned for wearing scarves across their faces in winter conditions?

Obviously yes.The law is quite clear,keeping warm is a crime.

any other important and relevant questions?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Ive seen many more converts away from islam who say the opposite, its a good way to hide bruises.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive seen many more converts away from islam who say the opposite, its a good way to hide bruises.

Yet to see that or hear of it...im sure theres plenty of abuse in islamic relationships, the same as there are in Western relationships.
However, you cannot deny that a lot of muslim women want to keep the veil, and its nothing to do with oppression, as people against Islam would like you to believe.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yet to see that or hear of it...im sure theres plenty of abuse in islamic relationships, the same as there are in Western relationships.
However, you cannot deny that a lot of muslim women want to keep the veil, and its nothing to do with oppression, as people against Islam would like you to believe.[/QUOT

Somebody wanting something does not make that something right.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
However, you cannot deny that a lot of muslim women want to keep the veil, and its nothing to do with oppression, as people against Islam would like you to believe.

Very difficult to judge. If that's how you've been brought up and it's all you know, it's no surprise that they're comfortable with it

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Apologies if this comes across as a bit far right-ish, but if you emigrate to a country be it France, UK, Australia or wherever, shouldn't you adopt that country's practice in terms of dress and culture rather than impose your own (I do realise it doesn't happen). I accept the religious argument and the fact that in some instances, circumstances dictate emigrating elsewhere, but surely it's about respecting the culture that already exists.

So in terms of the thread agree with the ban.

Bizarre, really. Standard issue for men could be a nice pair of M&S slacks and a navy blazer, the cloth cap will have to be optional. Women will be a bit more tricky, particularly with seasonal variations and all that fashion nonsense they get into their heads.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not sure I see the logic behind the ban ? Surely terrorists already do things that are banned ? Like bombing places and killing people ? Why would they adhere to a law like this when they already break other laws ?

That said any religion that makes some people second class ( in this case women ) should be challenged.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
However, you cannot deny that a lot of muslim women want to keep the veil, and its nothing to do with oppression, as people against Islam would like you to believe.[/QUOT

Somebody wanting something does not make that something right.

I dont believe denying freedom of religion is right. However, you want that...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
a lot of muslim women want to keep the veil, and its nothing to do with oppression, as people against Islam would like you to believe.

Is it because they're munters?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure I see the logic behind the ban ? Surely terrorists already do things that are banned ? Like bombing places and killing people ? Why would they adhere to a law like this when they already break other laws ?

That said any religion that makes some people second class ( in this case women ) should be challenged.

It's like that "Are you coming here to commit terrorist activities" question on US immigration forms. I wonder how many get caught out by this?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
perhaps i should have been clearer

Will people be banned for wearing scarves across their faces in winter conditions?

NO

on the flip side,if the gendarmes come across 200 likely looking PSG sorts causing grief all with scarves around their faces i would expect them to be able to question the said gentlemen and ask them to remove the face covering.

Now more importantly do you honestly believe the average Pierre walking down the street wearing a scarf over their face because its cold is likely to be stopped and told to remove it? If the answer is no, ask yourself why you felt the need to ask the original question in the first place.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
???? So, what you're saying is that you expect Muslims to wear a stripy jumper, a beret and sling a string of onions around their neck?

I expect people to respect existing culture when visiting other countries. Would you adopt a Western style approach if you lived in a Muslim country (in terms of attire)?

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
I agree with this, harsh but true. I have three Muslim colleagues here in Copenhagen and although I get on with them fine and one is a good friend, their views, especially on women, are flawed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here