Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

I can't for the life of me see why Paul Barber is getting the blame for this. It is a FACT that the transport operators (trains, buses and coaches) were unable to provide the transport necessary to get 27,000 people to the ground. And it's a FACT that there isn't enough available parking within easy reach of the stadium. And it's a FACT that it has taken the Football League until this week to recognise that there was a problem. And it is a FACT that this problem was foreseeable (but unsolvable) before the stadium opened.

The FACT that the Football League have finally been persuaded to recognise the problem, without imposing a fine and/or points deduction on the Club, is to the credit of Paul Barber.

The solution that has been found is obviously not to everyone's satisfaction, maybe - but hopefully lessons have been learned for the future.

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Erm drive park the car and lets think about this ,oh yea walk to the ground just like the old days

So you reckon there would be some 9000 (average say 3 per car) available parking spaces within walking distance of The Amex?! You really couldnt make it up!

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
Well that is a right pain. Now on my daughters first birthday so I either miss my first match at the Amex or face the wrath of the misses!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very few scheduled services are running on Boxing day, bar a skeleton service on certain routes as far as I understand? This would surely create a surplus of drivers who would be 'stood down' from their rostered duties surely? I don't know the exact figure of how many drivers Brighton Buses employ, but I really struggle to believe, there wouldn't have been enough drivers who would be willing to work on Boxing day, for whatever reason, whether for the overtime or simply as an excuse to escape visiting relatives etc.

Given the hard financial times we live in, there's usually plenty of volunteers in most workplaces who are after every piece of overtime available. When I worked in the airline industry, the employer often had to forcibly stand people down against their will on Christmas & Boxing Day, as the work schedule rarely required anything more than a skeleton cover, especially on Christmas Day. Many from the Asian Community who couldn't give a shit about Christmas were always happy to cover the Christmas period. Likewise, those not from that community always covered the Asians when they wanted time off for Diwali etc.

I wonder if Brighton Buses considered a 'poll' of their drivers to see how many were willing to work Boxing Day overtime? I've no idea how their Contracts of Employment are worded, but its possible they could be required to work ALL Public Holidays anyway, should the need arise?

This is a disappointing decision for many, but the club & transport companies now have breathing space to 'plan' for future Boxing Days. Hopefully, the Transport Companies will enter the 21st Century sometime soon & provide services on Boxing Day like most other westernised countries.

You can struggle to believe what you wish, but dem's de facts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You can struggle to believe what you wish, but dem's de facts.

I'm sure they are too. I mean your average unionised British worker just LOVES giving up Bank Holidays to work. In fact hsn't Bob Crowe organised a tube strike on, er, Boxing Day?

In fact as I recall didn't Arsenal put back their Boxing Day match last season by a day due to no tubes?

EDIT: same strike. Southern still have last years Chrstmas service details on their site :facepalm:

However the point remains - we are not the only club to postpone a Boxing Day game because of lack of transport. Arsenal did last year. Seems we really are the Championship Arsenal :lol:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Like i said if we were away this wouldnt be a problem very very very very very surprised the club didnt ask for an away game (maybe they did I dunno) to give them some time to work out logistics. Extra traims/buses/jumbo jets takes a very very very long time to arrange even if you had millions at your disposal.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
In fact hsn't Bob Crowe organised a tube strike on, er, Boxing Day?

ASLEF are responsible for this years boxing day strike and last years too, not the RMT (for once). They want quadruple time for working public holidays apparently. I expect Bob Crow is thinking of ways he can out do them.

He's set the bar pretty high. He was recently threatening to ballot his members on action if TFL begin testing driverless trains. TESTING FFS! Of course he was at pains to point out his only concern is our safety.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
I think that the way that Paul Barber,the club and its partners have approached this issue has been very sensible. I Was not relishing joining 4,000 Millwall fans in the queue for P&R!

Whilst there are trains across much of the country,there aren't many south of London. The costs of paying everyone on Boxing Day makes it an expensive match to hold, especially given the fact that it will be a high risk event.

This gives us all the opportunity to attend out local non-league team and give them the support they need. Lewes v Borough has been a brilliant fixture in the past, need to check the fixtures and select a game or should it be cricket or a swim in the sea

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What with endless international breaks, they get more holidays than teachers nowadays :lol:

Took a while to sort, but Gus now gets his refreshing mid season 11 day break for the guys in the sun, while the rest of the division reach the turn of the year tired & cold. Brilliant work by all concerned

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Took a while to sort, but Gus now gets his refreshing mid season 11 day break for the guys in the sun, while the rest of the division reach the turn of the year tired & cold. Brilliant work by all concerned

Can't help thinking it'll be too our advantage to come back refreshed on the 29th after a nice long break...

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I can't for the life of me see why Paul Barber is getting the blame for this. It is a FACT that the transport operators (trains, buses and coaches) were unable to provide the transport necessary to get 27,000 people to the ground. And it's a FACT that there isn't enough available parking within easy reach of the stadium. And it's a FACT that it has taken the Football League until this week to recognise that there was a problem. And it is a FACT that this problem was foreseeable (but unsolvable) before the stadium opened.

The FACT that the Football League have finally been persuaded to recognise the problem, without imposing a fine and/or points deduction on the Club, is to the credit of Paul Barber.

The solution that has been found is obviously not to everyone's satisfaction, maybe - but hopefully lessons have been learned for the future.

All good points, but the message the club want to stag Boxing day games in the future makes the whole situation seem avoidable, wherever the blame lies.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Excellent result so far as we're concerned - from having to miss a home game because of family Christmas commitments, we now get to see the game.

Don't we quite often lose Boxing Day games, anyway? Stattos, now's your chance ... :lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I think you're being very kind to the club there.

As with most problems, it gets solved with money, in this case paying what it would have taken to get some buses running with no trains, even if that was at a premium on a Bank Holiday. This must now be sorted for future years (don't forget, it would be worse with more seats next season).

We can't shift the blame onto anyone else, and certainly not the Football League. It is our ground, and it is up to us to be able to stage games on Boxing Day, something that should have been tied down at least 18 months ago. I expect the FL were stunned we were even asking.

The only credit goes to Barber, or whoever, for avoiding any sanctions (if indeed they have) because quite frankly we deserve them.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Are any of those FACTS likely to change in the next few years, or are we destined not to host a Boxing Day game for the foreseeable future?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Spot on.

I can understand it being moved this year and am happy it has, but if this happens again - then that quite honesty is a total joke.

And to those moaning about another game which isnt at 3PM - if you want Premier League football, then you must get used to it as it will happen a lot more often !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here