Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
If your not someone who agrees that everything Albion does is all sweetness and light how do you suggest one shows displeasure for changing this fixture? after all as a customer when your not happy with something you tend to make a complaint or refrain from using said establishments goods or services.I guess they can do what they like because they know we will all come flocking whatever.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So to no one's complete surprise and the puce outrage of The Complete Badger the game is moved. As someone posted this morning not only are the transport issues clearly enough for the safety authorities to want the game moved (and they get the final say, not individual fans who are a bit miffed because they'll have to watch a soap opera and eat leftovers) but could the game have been stewarded and attended? I wonder what the quality and quantity of the Azure staff would have been? "Oh but it's about the football" you cry or at least you do until there's one till on serving the turkey pies and beer and the 1901 is reduced to a bag of crisps and jug of water.

Personally I would be happy if Boxing Day football disappeared for ever but then I've got two young kids and I'd rather spend the day playing with them in their Christmassy excitedness followed by finishing off the leftovers and brandy once they're tucked up. Boxing Day games have been an anti-climax since they stopped being local derbies, no one goes to the pub beforehand or after and the weather is normally dire.

I do realise that it is a tradition though and that the above view is in the minority. We SHOULD be able to put a game on at home on Boxing Day. It's just that when we do we should do it properly. This year would have been a shambles.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
If I had tickets for a concert/ theatre and the date was changed and I could no longer go I would expect a refund. Just a thought!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So to no one's complete surprise and the puce outrage of The Complete Badger the game is moved. As someone posted this morning not only are the transport issues clearly enough for the safety authorities to want the game moved (and they get the final say, not individual fans who are a bit miffed because they'll have to watch a soap opera and eat leftovers) but could the game have been stewarded and attended? I wonder what the quality and quantity of the Azure staff would have been? "Oh but it's about the football" you cry or at least you do until there's one till on serving the turkey pies and beer and the 1901 is reduced to a bag of crisps and jug of water.

Personally I would be happy if Boxing Day football disappeared for ever but then I've got two young kids and I'd rather spend the day playing with them in their Christmassy excitedness followed by finishing off the leftovers and brandy once they're tucked up. Boxing Day games have been an anti-climax since they stopped being local derbies, no one goes to the pub beforehand or after and the weather is normally dire.

I do realise that it is a tradition though and that the above view is in the minority. We SHOULD be able to put a game on at home on Boxing Day. It's just that when we do we should do it properly. This year would have been a shambles.

Good call. Traditionally boxing day games have always had a high attendance and yes that when it was local derbys and not like a couple of years ago us playing DAGENHAM.

I remember once Stains had to go to Leics or something (in fact WE did in 1991 boxing day) and that was when there were London clubs around so nowadays I think tis will be the start of phasing out xmas time games as more clubs push for a winter break.

Plus in the Prem I bet the traditionally bigger crowds doesnt happen its more at the lower leagues.

Also re the weather reminded me of that Boxing Day game against Bristol Rovers 1990 where it was PISSING down (they won 1-0 they had Billy Ocean - sorry Carl Saunders and NO NECK Devon White upfront) and the poor kids had to sing carols in the rain at half time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If I had tickets for a concert/ theatre and the date was changed and I could no longer go I would expect a refund. Just a thought!

I'm sure anyone with matchday tickets can get a refund. Season Tickets are different of course - you are buying entry to all matches regardless of when they are held or if they are rescheduled.

Mar 13, 2012
Obviously for some this is good news but I am so fed up with the travel for the midweek games - The club need to be taking some action to improve the situation - Not bothered on a Saturday at 3 PM but when you have kids in tow would like to get home at a reasonable time - It would be nice to think that as we have been inconvenienced that the club could lay on some extra buses etc. Oh and it would be nice to see some of the club staff at the bus/train queues and then they might realise why the stadium is half empty by the end of the game. Great Escape on ITV it is then I guess.

ross02

Sep 21, 2008
horsham
could the club not buy their own buses an hire drivers etc then u would have no problems with transport issue an at least it would be more organised ( with any luck) how are we meant to show our new christmas clothes off now?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Obviously for some this is good news but I am so fed up with the travel for the midweek games - when you have kids in tow would like to get home at a reasonable time.

I think this means at least 9 games will be in the evening now. If a few more are televised we could end up with half our home games at 7:45. Now that's crap. I feel let down over this.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think the point is that the fixtures came out many, many months ago, and yet it has taken until today for an announcement to be made.

Quite how the club intend to make Boxing Day games at The Amex possible in the future is another question.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
could the club not buy their own buses an hire drivers etc then u would have no problems with transport issue an at least it would be more organised ( with any luck) how are we meant to show our new christmas clothes off now?

No. It's absolutely 100% definitely impossible to hire a bus on Boxing Day. Haven't you been following this thread?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
My assumption and hope is that the issue is not that we were handed a home game on Boxing Day with no public transport running, but that we were handed a home game on Boxing Day with no public transport running against Millwall.

They were f***ing dicks when they last came down, and if I was commercial manager I would be very concerned that their stone age behaviour was going to put off my customers. Lets not forget we've quadrupled our gates inside 2 years, and they're not paying £5 to get in anymore.

However, if it turns out that this shambles happens on future Boxing Days when we play a lower risk team, I'll be standing shoulder to shoulder with the likes of you and [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] when it comes to outrage with the club.

I don't think the fact that it is Millwall has got very much to do with it.

Are you saying if it had been Palace, Leeds, Forest, Wolves, Birmingham, wednesday, even Watford or Bristol City.etc it would have gone ahead? The problem is moving 22,000 Albion fans, not 1,000 Milwall.

the club knew months ago about this game, it's been very badly handled I,m afraid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the point is that the fixtures came out many, many months ago, and yet it has taken until today for an announcement to be made.

Quite how the club intend to make Boxing Day games at The Amex possible in the future is another question.

I might be wrong but I think the police said months ago that it couldn't go ahead because of the transport problems but the FL said it had to go ahead and we're been wrangling ever since. I seem to remember something was said a few months ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here