Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No VAR

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As I said, I am aligned with your perspective. A 20 second rule (If VAR still can't decide go with on pitch decision). No 'play on' when an on pitch decision seems obvious, waiting for VAR (fouls, handballs in the penalty area). Blow the f***ing whistle - except for unclear offsides when a goal is scored. If unsure the flag must stay down because a false flag could stop a legitimate goal and VAR was introduced in part to stop that. And change the offside rule to clear blue daylight, and judge it in 20 seconds, and because this would be a close call the lino shouldn't flag.

There, VAR sorted.

Anyone still wanting VAR 'binned' could then be easily ignored. Till then, binning VAR to save the loss of spontaneity is still a reasonable perspective, @Guinness Boy, but I would expect a much more coherent and vigorous campaign to ban VAR if it really matters to you lot. Or I will have to put you on ignore. Well, the VAR threads (I can't put a moderator on ignore, and nor would I want to :ohmy: x)
Pointless though, this is a world football initiative, not just PL. FIFA will not back-pedal on anything, even something that sucks the enjoyment out of a goal being scored.

If it was PL then ‘yes’ absolutely, I’d agree.

I like the 20 second idea.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes, 4 mins it far too long, hence restricting VAR decisions to 30 secs or so, only for a quick look at anything blatantly obvious has been missed. No difference in checking whether a ball has crossed the line or not.
But nobody watching the ball hit the back of the net is holding back on celebrating thinking "ooh, I can't tell if that's crossed the goal-line."
It doesn't make any sense as a comparison.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How many of those who only watch matches on TV are "fans" of any team, so much so that the result of any match particularly matters?
All of us Brighton exiles for a start! I can only get to 2-3 matches a year nowadays - the rest I watch on dodgy streams....

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Almost none - the buzz on the ref‘s watch is instantaneous, and totally based on fact.
It works for tennis and challenges can be made. Maybe VAR could work that way? Don't get me wrong, in it's current state it's beyond daft and ruins the enjoyment.
That said, it's not going away, so all we can hope for are improvements - surely that's better than just wishing it will 'go away'. as it simply won't.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
All of us Brighton exiles for a start! I can only get to 2-3 matches a year nowadays - the rest I watch on dodgy streams....
That only reinforces my point, you have made an investment and commitment to the club. The vast majority of armchair fans haven't been to a match in decades. Results don't really matter to the armchair fan and is very unlikely to change their mood one way or another.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
@Harry Wilson's tackle - Surely restricting the limitations of VAR would do nothing but enhance the role of the on field referee, rather than diminish it? It would be in their own interests to consider it.
@Silverhatch - That's fine - so you don't mind delaying a 'goal' celebration in that instance, despite an inevitable delay? The same could work for VAR, if the decision process was time-limited, as suggested.
I don't mind referees being able to make decisions. The issue is how to make VAR better. I think it can be, e.g., with my tweaks implemented. What I don't like is referees managing the management of the rubric. A bit like banks making up the rules about banking (remember how we were charged £20 to be sent a letter to tell us we were £10 overdrawn?). Make it better or bin it. But it won't be binned so it has to be made better. Or "now is the time for marching". Or just let's be passive customers.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
May I ask you (as I have asked others) how you feel about goal-line tech?
I totally approve of it. It is instantaneous, factual, and infallible ( apart from one occasion which kept Villa up at the expense of Bmuff which is the sort of clear and obvious error which it would have been ok for VAR to intervene on...)

For the most part, VAR is none of instantaneous, factual, or infallible.

Football is played in real time and should be reffed in real time.

I'm happy for VAR to correct clear, obvious, and egregious errors like the hand of god , thiery henry, and that goal line tech failure. My rules for an acceptable VAR would be.....

VAR officials only have real time speed video, no slow mo or freeze frame. No drawing lines on the pitch. If they jump out of their chairs because they see a clear, obvious, and egregious mistake in real time then they can intervene. If they are not 100% sure then they keep out. This would probably mean that they only intervene a handfull of times all season. Linesmen flag immediately when they think a player is offside.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I totally approve of it. It is instantaneous, factual, and infallible ( apart from one occasion which kept Villa up at the expense of Bmuff which is the sort of clear and obvious error which it would have been ok for VAR to intervene on...)

I'm happy for VAR to correct clear, obvious, and egregious errors like the hand of god , thiery henry, and that goal line tech failure. My rules for an acceptable VAR would be.....

VAR officials only have real time speed video, no slow mo or freeze frame. No drawing lines on the pitch. If they jump out of their chairs because they see a clear, obvious, and egregious mistake in real time then they can intervene. If they are not 100% sure then they keep out. This would probably mean that they only intervene a handfull of times all season. Linesmen flag immediately when they think a player is offside.
I think that's what we're all after and it can get close to that, 'if' the powers that be make the necessary changes, along the line that @Harry Wilson's tackle has suggested.
It's that, or we're stuck with it, warts and all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Egregious is such a lovely word. As are venal, and vituperation. All have an important place in football. :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I note that no one has answered my question on the validity of goal-line tech. Are all the VAR haters against that, also?
Compare how frequently goal line technology comes into play during a match verses how often VAR intervenes and I suspect you’d be a long way toward finding the answer to your question.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Compare how frequently goal line technology comes into play during a match verses how often VAR intervenes and I suspect you’d be a long way toward finding the answer to your question.
As I did say, it's the principle of using tech - it can be useful, if done in the correct way.
*versus.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The VAR haters wouldn't have cared had we lost because of it. And will probably say that because we didn't this 'proves' that no VAR makes football better.
If we had lost because they got a questionable pen to make it 2-2, I wouldn't have been cursing the ref/lack of VAR, I'd be blaming the team for not going on to win. Or accepting that Stoke were more up for it.

Years ago, someone said that yes refs make mistakes and get pilloried for it, but there are players who misplace a pass, or a miss an easy chance, or deliver a terrible corner, but they don't get the same level of abuse (nor has there since been a clamouring for teams of AI-powered robots who never err).

Should Norman Whiteside have seen red for his tackle on Chris Ramsey in '83? Would VAR have sent him off? It doesn't matter. My regret is Gordon Smith missing that sitter. Mistakes (and there are far more player errors than ref errors) are part and parcel of it all.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is. Ok for the plastic tv fans but for those of us that actually go to games it has spoiled the game. I’d rather have gone out the cup today to a dodgy decision than keep VAR. Having seen the replay I also have no argument with Stoke’s penalty.
Not just those that actually go to games it, but speaking as a plastic listen-to-it-on-the-radio and watch the highlights fan, it spoils it for me too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yet another way to save/revive the League Cup, or the FA Cup if we get rid of the League Cup.

Make it completely VARless - it'll feel like an old-school, prison rules tournament. Fun.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Yet another way to save/revive the League Cup, or the FA Cup if we get rid of the League Cup.

Make it completely VARless - it'll feel like an old-school, prison rules tournament. Fun.
Christ, can you imagine what the Arsenal fans would be like if they were genuinely cheated out of a competition due to a terrible refereeing decision?

We had a very dodgy lino on the left hand side who seemed to be getting a few of the offside decisions wrong. But thankfully we had no Mike Dean situation to moan about and paralyse NSC for weeks over

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Should Norman Whiteside have seen red for his tackle on Chris Ramsey in '83? Would VAR have sent him off? It doesn't matter. My regret is Michael Robinson missing that sitter. Mistakes (and there are far more player errors than ref errors) are part and parcel of it all.
??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here