Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No VAR

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
VAR would (well ok should have) overturned their incorrectly awarded penalty. That goal they got gifted could have turned out to be quite bad.
The ball clearly hits Dunk's shoulder before rolling up his arm and so is not a penalty.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
From the Point of view of someone like myself, who doesn't watch streams, but only has the BBC text to follow if I can't get back ( to the UK ) to watch games....unadulterated joy immediately after it shows we have scored a goal.....rather than the normal 3-4 minutes of pacing the room anxiously to see if VAR has overturned the goal.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
VAR would (well ok should have) overturned their incorrectly awarded penalty. That goal they got gifted could have turned out to be quite bad.
The ball clearly hits Dunk's shoulder before rolling up his arm and so is not a penalty.
Yes but once its given the players and fans just say oh well and get on with the game rather than checking it for ages, the fans in the stadium not having a clue what’s going on and then all the talk after the game being about that rather than the rest of the match. VAR is crap for match going fans.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Only because decisions didn't go against us today. If they did it would be a different tune being sung.
Not by me. I'd presume the ref was happier too with being the sole person in charge, not having to 'send it upstairs'. There was thrilling jeopardy to some decisions, and even the pen I had to agree with. Maybe VAR would have overturned it but I rather liked the frustration of the decision being the decision.

Showing my age I guess 🤷‍♂️

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
But they did! We could/should have had a penalty and they shouldn't have had a penalty.

Still rather not have VAR.
What penalty should we have had? The even more ridiculous than the one against us?

Btw VAR would have gone with the ref on either decision so it wouldn't have changed anything.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I loved it! It might not be the perfect solution to dodgy decisions (for either side), but I truly enjoyed being able to both celebrate (and curse) each and every goal.....'in the moment'. Made (for me) a far less stressful match, as you simply accept the on-field decision as it is.
I do miss those days and today made me realise it even more.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Oh God, that is exactly how a PL post match discussion starts. Who cares ? I’ve just got home after watching a free flowing game of football. It’s why I signed up 47 years ago. Enjoyed it.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
The VAR haters wouldn't have cared had we lost because of it. And will probably say that because we didn't this 'proves' that no VAR makes football better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here