Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No VAR

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting no var for the two cup games this week as Middlesbrough do not have facility…but Liverpool vs Fulham is also non var.

wonder if this is surreptitiously looking at how it will work relying on the on pitch officials knowing refs seemed to have a decent weekend wherever wasn't used … Becky welsh got rave reviews at the qpr/ bmuff twats game

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This thread is much better when read through with this music playing in the background, BTW

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
This thread is much better when read through with this music playing in the background, BTW

There is not one iota of harking back to the good old days where VAR is concerned. It is NOT technology. It’s not fit for any purpose other than making the in-stadium game of football WORSE. It needs a moratorium and a thorough review of how dedicated, fit-for-purpose, real time reporting technology and software might help referees. VAR is currently a re-refereeing model that constipates officials and supporter emotional outbursts. There also has to be an acceptance that a further bifurcation of rules has to exist in a SHIT VAR world. It is so UTTERLY SHIT IN ITS CURRENT FORM AND APPLICATION… I am shouting😂

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
If we had lost because they got a questionable pen to make it 2-2, I wouldn't have been cursing the ref/lack of VAR, I'd be blaming the team for not going on to win. Or accepting that Stoke were more up for it.

Years ago, someone said that yes refs make mistakes and get pilloried for it, but there are players who misplace a pass, or a miss an easy chance, or deliver a terrible corner, but they don't get the same level of abuse (nor has there since been a clamouring for teams of AI-powered robots who never err).

Should Norman Whiteside have seen red for his tackle on Chris Ramsey in '83? Would VAR have sent him off? It doesn't matter. My regret is Gordon Smith missing that sitter. Mistakes (and there are far more player errors than ref errors) are part and parcel of it all.
I agree that the past or ideas of changing it don't matter. It is the present and future that concerns me...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A game with no VAR was almost a reminder that refs are actually quite good at their job. It was joyful
Agreed…..although I felt Coote was wrong to card VVD ….but then the Fulham player should take even more responsibility for a completely OTT reaction ….otherwise I felt it was reffed very well backed up by his two assistants.
We did have ultra slow motion replays of one or two decisions over corners which the commentators examined under a microscope 🤦‍♂️
Pleasure to not have VAR interrupt proceedings on this occasion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here