Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No trains to/from Worthing to Brighton THIS Saturday (8th)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Well you say that 'If you're any further east than Shoreham the bus will be so much easier/less crowded'. And they might well be, on the way to the game. But on the way back from the game, everybody who came by replacement bus for the entire length of the disrupted section of the West Coast line will be vying for the same very limited number of buses, irrespective of where they started their journey on the way in. The queues could be horrendous.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure there will be enough busses and replacement busses for everyone from Brighton Station or Churchill sq

Just had a look on the National Rail Enquiries website and there's four scheduled replacement bus departure times from Brighton station to Worthing between 5pm and 6pm on Saturday. Tho I guess each departure time could consist of multiple buses. Still don't sound like a lot, bearing in mind it's a Saturday and there will be shoppers and day-trippers as well as Albion fans all wanting to make the same journey at the same time. Good luck to all those who choose to use that option.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Be giving this game a miss I think, Based on what I've seen so far this season I'm not convinced it's worth the extra hassle of trying to negotiate rail replacement buses in a wheelchair to go and watch more of it.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Ridiculous, why not do it last weekend or the weekend after when there's no home game

Given the relative lead times, the FL should be talking to network rail (and others) and setting the schedule sensibly, not in blind ignorance of the rest of the infra-structure that supports the game. Roads, Buses, Rail disruptions should all be considered BEFORE the season's fixtures are released.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
They would only worry about football if it affected the line between Brighton & Lewes on a match day when it would be altered, Brighton to Worthing is just a pain for anyone using it. I can't see them having loads of buses as all their contract firms like Southern Transit already booked to do the Seagulls Travel and Park and Ride duties. Normally they would have 2 buses for each departure, maybe 3 at a stretch so 70ish on a bus will tell you what sort of capacity that is.

Many a time even without football when they've had buses between Brighton Worthing & return they fill up at Worthing and drop off only till there is room, so be warned.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Anyone coming from Barnham or west of Barnham (e.g. me...) might be wise going via the Arun Valley to Three Bridges and down. It takes about the same journey time as the train/bus, but based on what [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] has said and my own experience of the 9.33 from Soton which is rammed full by Worthing at 1055, it seems like a very sensible option. There's no way all passengers of said 1055 will fit on the buses.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Anyone coming from Barnham or west of Barnham (e.g. me...) might be wise going via the Arun Valley to Three Bridges and down. It takes about the same journey time as the train/bus, but based on what [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] has said and my own experience of the 9.33 from Soton which is rammed full by Worthing at 1055, it seems like a very sensible option. There's no way all passengers of said 1055 will fit on the buses.

That's what we are going to do

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Very good advice, West of Barnham jump on the fast service up the Arun and change at Gatwick, pick up the Lewes train there and change there for Falmer and avoid the MELEE at Brighton and do it on the way back too

castmana1

Nov 3, 2014

any idea if I'd need to buy a different type of train ticket for this, or could this journey be undertaken on a simple offpeak return to Brighton from Barnham? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

castmana1

Nov 3, 2014
Don't know if this is helpful to anyone else, but I've just been chatting to the folks at Southern Rail about the train service from Barnham to Lewes via Three Bridges on Saturday that was previously mentioned. They told me that they'll allow customers to travel this route on a Barnham to Lewes offpeak return ticket, so no need to buy an expensive 'via three bridges' ticket. Always found their 'any permitted route' rules a bit convoluted so thought it best to check. This was based on the 12.19 service (I'm not sure if this is the case on all trains on Saturday afternoon, so maybe best to check if you're travelling at a different time). This might be common knowledge to everyone else anyway (I don't often use the trains so I'm a bit clueless!), but thought it might be useful to some.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Don't know if this is helpful to anyone else, but I've just been chatting to the folks at Southern Rail about the train service from Barnham to Lewes via Three Bridges on Saturday that was previously mentioned. They told me that they'll allow customers to travel this route on a Barnham to Lewes offpeak return ticket, so no need to buy an expensive 'via three bridges' ticket. Always found their 'any permitted route' rules a bit convoluted so thought it best to check. This was based on the 12.19 service (I'm not sure if this is the case on all trains on Saturday afternoon, so maybe best to check if you're travelling at a different time). This might be common knowledge to everyone else anyway (I don't often use the trains so I'm a bit clueless!), but thought it might be useful to some.

Rules always a bit less stringent when buses for the simple reason there are not enough buses to cope so better have the punters going via train even if it is a longer route, as I said before best to go Barnham - Gatwick - Lewes - Falmer if you're using this way

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Question...

Will buses from Worthing be calling at all stations to Brighton or will they run a direct service ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here