Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No trains Brighton - Haywards Heath

Just to chip into the price argument there is an annual German DB pass which can be used across the ENTIRE German network at ANYTIME. It's cost is a mere 4000 euros which is approx £3500. Yes you have read this correctly, £3500 to travel all over Germany, at any time, for 12 months. Goes without saying the trains are nicer, run on time and run every day of the year. As John Rotten once said "ever get the feeling you've been had?"

"BahnCard 100 - Just hop on the next train: BahnCard 100 offers 12 months travel on all DB services. It only costs EUR 4,090.00 for second class and EUR 6,890.00 for first class."

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/bahncard.shtml

At any time on any provider, or do the Germans only have one?

Sounds too good to be true.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just to chip into the price argument there is an annual German DB pass which can be used across the ENTIRE German network at ANYTIME. It's cost is a mere 4000 euros which is approx £3500. Yes you have read this correctly, £3500 to travel all over Germany, at any time, for 12 months. Goes without saying the trains are nicer, run on time and run every day of the year. As John Rotten once said "ever get the feeling you've been had?"

"BahnCard 100 - Just hop on the next train: BahnCard 100 offers 12 months travel on all DB services. It only costs EUR 4,090.00 for second class and EUR 6,890.00 for first class."

Not quite as good as the good old days when, if you joined the Wehrmacht, you had free unlimited travel across Europe.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That's ok , my delayed train from Grimsby leaves at 17:53 (lol) we'll see. Wonder what time, if at all, I'll get back to Pulborough tonight

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At any time on any provider, or do the Germans only have one?

I'm sure it's just the one company within Germany. Even if this is not the case DB is extensive. I do see other train companies but these tend to be trains which have originated in other countries.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What? a reasonably priced and decent service is too good to be true? It's not exactly the moon on a stick is it?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
WTF!! Have they gone up since May? Mine from Brighton was £4928 last May and includes all zones on the tube. How is an HH one more expensive!

To be fair I do pay on a monthly DD which I beleive works out more expensive than buying the year up-front! Certainly is'nt a 1st class ticket...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Does that include those ICE trains? I went on one of them a couple of years ago and it was TOP DRAWER, you could even see out of the front window as you travelled at 200 odd mph.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

They can afford to make it that chap because UK train passengers make up the shortfall.

Time to nationalise the railways again.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/02/soaring-rail-profits-are-used-to-cut-fares-abroad-3567491/

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Except the German government put more money into the rail network to subsidise fares - our government would rather spend £80 Billion on HS2 instead of modifying our current network - or better still - subsidising fares.

Don't even get me started on Network Rail - the system is flawed.

No trains Lewes - Seaford at the moment due to power issues at Bishopstone......where there is also a serious accident on the A259.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does that include those ICE trains? I went on one of them a couple of years ago and it was TOP DRAWER, you could even see out of the front window as you travelled at 200 odd mph.

It does. Brilliant ain't they?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
German railways are privatised'ish and have different companies and if that Bahn card is valid on the system that is a cracking deal but to say that the Germans don't suffer from things like overrunning engineering works or weather related delays is untrue and their punctuality suffers as much as our railway does.

I'd like to see some figures for comparison with the UK because my experience of UK trains is very very different to here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
German railways are privatised'ish

It is a private company owned by the state. I thought the company was 100% owned by the state but if not it is certainly majority owned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I speak from experience of travelling throughout Germany on DB, they suffer from the same problems as us

I'm not disputing they do not suffer. I'm sure no railway is immune. But, I find it very very hard to believe trains here suffer from these issues with the same regularity as the UK. This is simply not my experience.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Dont believe the German railways have a "National Rail Enquiries" website detailing nationwide service updates unlike the UK - so here you are more likely to know about all the issues across the country.

For all we know, all lines in and out of Munich could be suspended due to signal issues right now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Same old dodgy service its always been and no doubt always will be. It's train roulette, and if any other business ran their service so shoddily then they wouldn't have a business for very long at all. Just pathetic. Expect the perfect Xmas shitstorm of 'improvement works' in this neck of the woods to overrun by about a fortnight.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Same old dodgy service its always been and no doubt always will be. It's train roulette, and if any other business ran their service so shoddily then they wouldn't have a business for very long at all.

true. cf 1970's British industry.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As hotchillidog says its beyond the pale. The south east really is the worst when it comes to trains. So glad I pay over 4k a year for a "service".

Theyvwill still fudge their on time averages becaise I think the target is 85% (when its nearer 35%) but because they usually run on time on weekends and between 11-4 is gets the averages up.

Government should say 99% on time amd the ONLY thing you can discount is a fatality - because that cant be helped. Broken down trains, staffing, signals etc can be avoided.

Maybe they should be forced to keep publish stats for the morning rush hour. Then it can be measured how many millions it is costing the country in lost revenue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here