Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No trains Brighton - Haywards Heath

Frank Dux

Jul 24, 2003
Reigate
6:49 from reigate, arrived London Bridge at 9:10. Never seen an instruction that the "train is full" & an instruction that nobody is to board the train. At Redhill as we all ran after a train that was heading towards the end of the station but it then kept going past. The announcement was "Sorry, we thought that train woudl stop here!"

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Go on then how do you avoid signalling equipment failing from time to time?

Given how often they fail, I would suggest replacing them with reliable alternatives which don't fail. Basic product design, make things that work and then test them thoroughly.

I have always assumed they just have a bloke with a flag near Gatwick given how slowly the trains seem to go through there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
6:49 from reigate, arrived London Bridge at 9:10. Never seen an instruction that the "train is full" & an instruction that nobody is to board the train. At Redhill as we all ran after a train that was heading towards the end of the station but it then kept going past. The announcement was "Sorry, we thought that train woudl stop here!"
I got the 7:40 from Reigate, with a view to changing at East Croydon for London Victoria. However, the train was stuck at Redhill for so long that I swapped over there for the 8:02 to London Victoria (which itself arrived 10 mins late). That was a bad move. We sat at Redhill for ANOTHER 30 mins whilst they tried to find a driver for that one. :lolol: :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolutely bang on. According to the latest figures Southern are running at 78% punctuality, even the rigged figures are terrible.

Quite simply the signals, tracks and trains are not fit for purpose. I stand to be corrected by those on here who work on the railways, but as a passenger it seems to me that problems are responded to more often than they are prevented in the first place with reliable maintenance. I cannot understand why the SAME signals keep failing, why were previous fixes not sustainable. Also if there are leaf clearing trains why do they not ensure that the busiest lines are kept clear at peak times? it astounds me that situations such as todays are allowed to develop.

Of course having the network infrastructure and services cut up between several different companies cannot help as they all attempt to pass the buck for any problems reduce fines etc. It is absolutely scandalous how thousands of people each day (not to mention their employers) are messed around each and every day at the busiest of times and the authorities do not seem to care at all.

It's all down to money, the government does not want to pay for the infrastructure ( although the rail companies still get their subsidies) and the rail operators will say why should we pay when we only buy a franchise for a fixed term of years. The rail operators also have to keep shareholders happy too. All in all a hotchpotch of different agendas combine to cause chaos.
Unfortunately, the only way to fix the problem is to throw money at it and neither side will blink first. I fear we are stuck with this for eternity.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I got the 7:40 from Reigate, with a view to changing at East Croydon for London Victoria. However, the train was stuck at Redhill for so long that I swapped over there for the 8:02 to London Victoria (which itself arrived 10 mins late). That was a bad move. We sat at Redhill for ANOTHER 30 mins whilst they tried to find a driver for that one. :lolol: :lolol:

Did you not volunteer? It can't be that hard to drive a train at 15mph.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's all down to money, the government does not want to pay for the infrastructure ( although the rail companies still get their subsidies) and the rail operators will say why should we pay when we only buy a franchise for a fixed term of years. The rail operators also have to keep shareholders happy too. All in all a hotchpotch of different agendas combine to cause chaos.
Unfortunately, the only way to fix the problem is to throw money at it and neither side will blink first. I fear we are stuck with this for eternity.

You are of course absolutely right. Tightfisted incompetence rules the day. I cannot see this changing in the near future either. Reading Gatwick line now plagued by poor rail conditions so the journey home is already looking bleak before I get to the mess that is the Brighton mainline.

The people responsible for this at network rail, in government and at the train companies should be embarrassed that this is how they run a network in the 21st century.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You are of course absolutely right. Tightfisted incompetence rules the day. I cannot see this changing in the near future either. Reading Gatwick line now plagued by poor rail conditions so the journey home is already looking bleak before I get to the mess that is the Brighton mainline.

The people responsible for this at network rail, in government and at the train companies should be embarrassed that this is how they run a network in the 21st century.

To be perfectly honest the people responsible are those who built the railway in the first place-obviously they couldn't have foreseen the future but if you were starting from scratch now you'd build double decker trains, larger tunnels, more overflow lines, longer platforms etc etc plus Beechings cuts made things worse. Now money, infrastructure and nimbys means you can only trouble shoot. And when a brand new line is proposed in HS2 everyone comes out of the woodwork to protest and tell us its too expensive.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Given how often they fail, I would suggest replacing them with reliable alternatives which don't fail. Basic product design, make things that work and then test them thoroughly.

I have always assumed they just have a bloke with a flag near Gatwick given how slowly the trains seem to go through there.

All designs of equipment are thoroughly tested before they're used on the railway but given the vast amount of equipment involved and the amount of use it gets it stands to reason that a very small amount will fail from time to time.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I've said it before, in about 50 years we went from learning to fly to landing on the moon. In 25 years my rail service has just gone backwards !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To be perfectly honest the people responsible are those who built the railway in the first place-obviously they couldn't have foreseen the future but if you were starting from scratch now you'd build double decker trains, larger tunnels, more overflow lines, longer platforms etc etc plus Beechings cuts made things worse. Now money, infrastructure and nimbys means you can only trouble shoot. And when a brand new line is proposed in HS2 everyone comes out of the woodwork to protest and tell us its too expensive.

This is pretty spot on but its not just the rail network it is almost across the board. The road network is not really fit for a mobile society that has a huge workforce on the move every day combined with massive food and commodity transport. Our airports are bursting at the seams with the huge amounts of flights that need to be accommodated. To cap it all our sewerage system is running at almost maximum in some places. so overall, we really are in the s***.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... The road network is not really fit for a mobile society that has a huge workforce on the move every day combined with massive food and commodity transport. Our airports are bursting at the seams with the huge amounts of flights that need to be accommodated.

is that not our fault for adopting daft work/living patterns though? we want nice largeish semi with a garden, thats not too expensive or near the "bad" estates. but work is in the centre of town or in industrial parks on the edge. so we have to commute, or change massive social mindset. and the airports are not bursting at the seams, one airport would like to tell you that to suit their agenda.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
As long as they are sorry then thats OK

Wonder how many thousands of people late to work today.

Service the last month has been up there with worst I've known and apart from a storm , weather been good.

No longer even get apologies if less than 10 mins.

One plus side is you never see a ticket collector when delayed. They go into hiding

Faceless crime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here