Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No trains Brighton - Haywards Heath

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How much time has this added to the commute time to London?

Mrs V is in London today for a meeting and I dropped her off at 7.15 at Brighton station in good time for her 7.30 ish train. After I drove off I turned on Radio Sussex in the car and heard Cranford warning of an hours delay getting to London, so I stopped off and warned her of the impending delay.

She was not amused, however, I received a text from her a little later saying that the train had sailed through Hassocks and Haywards Heath with no problem. Perhaps its not so bad if you are on the main line ? She did text later to say she was held up close to Victoria though.. doh !

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What a shambles. Amazingly I am now in work, glad I got the earlier train. Honestly Network Rail are useless. The twitter feeds for them, southern and fcc in the last few weeks have been a litany of delays, overrunning works, signal failures, and train faults. It is beyond the pale.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What a shambles. Amazingly I am now in work, glad I got the earlier train. Honestly Network Rail are useless. The twitter feeds for them, southern and fcc in the last few weeks have been a litany of delays, overrunning works, signal failures, and train faults. It is beyond the pale.

My grudge is with waiting at a level crossing for 5-7 minutes with no sign of a train.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Lines also closed between Balham and Croydon due to overrunning work - nice one Network Rail !!!

Broken down train between Brighton and Eastbourne too - not a great day.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Got to Victoria at 9:15 and the barrier machine swallowed my ticket. Had to sift through them alll with the guard , 9:45, at Kings X at last.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A terrific journey for me, the 07.32 to London Bridge was cancelled but I thought jumping on the 07.29 to Victoria and getting the tube would do the trick. POOTLED into Victoria at 09.15, over 35 minutes late into work, cracking.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Everyone should stop moaning. They are SORRY for inconvenience they have caused, so that's alright then. :thumbsup:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Hassocks is now all sorted - but it's the overrunning work at Selhurst (insert jokes about Palace here) causing the long delays into Victoria.

Basically a massive **** up from all sides - poor.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Hassocks is now all sorted - but it's the overrunning work at Selhurst (insert jokes about Palace here) causing the long delays into Victoria.

Basically a massive **** up from all sides - poor.

Can't disagree. No one is covering themselves with any glory today but it does show how one problem cascades across the whole network in no time at all. Drivers and guards are now all over the place again so expect further issues.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As hotchillidog says its beyond the pale. The south east really is the worst when it comes to trains. So glad I pay over 4k a year for a "service".

Theyvwill still fudge their on time averages becaise I think the target is 85% (when its nearer 35%) but because they usually run on time on weekends and between 11-4 is gets the averages up.

Government should say 99% on time amd the ONLY thing you can discount is a fatality - because that cant be helped. Broken down trains, staffing, signals etc can be avoided.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Everyone should stop moaning. They are SORRY for inconvenience they have caused, so that's alright then. :thumbsup:

The driver on my train must have apologised about 30 times. At least it was actually him rather than the automated announcement which apparently has feelings.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got my usual train this morning to London Bridge from Worthing, only got in about 30 minutes late, so not bad considering. I almost chanced the Arun Valley route, but glad I did not, as still made it in earlier than I would have.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
As hotchillidog says its beyond the pale. The south east really is the worst when it comes to trains. So glad I pay over 4k a year for a "service".

Theyvwill still fudge their on time averages becaise I think the target is 85% (when its nearer 35%) but because they usually run on time on weekends and between 11-4 is gets the averages up.

Government should say 99% on time amd the ONLY thing you can discount is a fatality - because that cant be helped. Broken down trains, staffing, signals etc can be avoided.

Absolutely bang on. According to the latest figures Southern are running at 78% punctuality, even the rigged figures are terrible.

Quite simply the signals, tracks and trains are not fit for purpose. I stand to be corrected by those on here who work on the railways, but as a passenger it seems to me that problems are responded to more often than they are prevented in the first place with reliable maintenance. I cannot understand why the SAME signals keep failing, why were previous fixes not sustainable. Also if there are leaf clearing trains why do they not ensure that the busiest lines are kept clear at peak times? it astounds me that situations such as todays are allowed to develop.

Of course having the network infrastructure and services cut up between several different companies cannot help as they all attempt to pass the buck for any problems reduce fines etc. It is absolutely scandalous how thousands of people each day (not to mention their employers) are messed around each and every day at the busiest of times and the authorities do not seem to care at all.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Go on then how do you avoid signalling equipment failing from time to time?

MARKO

Dec 13, 2007
Caught the first FCC out of btn 05.40 ( earlier one was cancelled ) ..stopped at preston Park for a while ..with over running engineering works at Hassocks as the reason.Then were told signal man couldn't change the points so we went up the down line....that must have caused some interest...got in work an hour late

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here