Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can anyone tell me why there are no trains listed from Brighton to Newhaven on Thursday, when there isn't supposed to be a strike, but there are on Friday when there is?

albionite

May 20, 2009
If the drivers and guards don`t want their jobs....let them go and employ people who do.

22 Oct 2016 - Virgin trains said there were almost 200 applications for every vacancy following the biggest recruitment campaign on the East Coast route ...

At circa £50k for drivers I`m not surprised there were as many applications..

Every few pages someone clueless comes up with this suggestion.

Ok let's say they do this. It will take a year to train the drivers(if they had enough teachers,rooms etc)it takes a driver to teach a driver. You then need to learn routes this is done in stages as there are too many to learn in one go( they have found more f*ck up when trying to do too much too soon) this will take another year maybe longer once again you need an experienced driver to teach the routes.

Only one in five pass the assement it takes them 3 months from when you apply to even get the interview.

Then after that the new drivers would join aslef as they would need protection.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can anyone tell me why there are no trains listed from Brighton to Newhaven on Thursday, when there isn't supposed to be a strike, but there are on Friday when there is?

They can't organise a timetable, let alone a railway?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

It appears to be showing a normal timetable on Wednesday and Friday for other routes as well.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Ok let's say they do this. It will take a year to train the drivers(if they had enough teachers,rooms etc)it takes a driver to teach a driver. You then need to learn routes this is done in stages as there are too many to learn in one go( they have found more f*ck up when trying to do too much too soon) this will take another year maybe longer once again you need an experienced driver to teach the routes.

Only one in five pass the assement it takes them 3 months from when you apply to even get the interview.

Can`t get my head round how it takes so long to train a driver....Tracks keep train in right direction and are clear of any distractions,they only need to start and stop,no steering needed like road vehicles !! Do the drivers need to learn the routes?? I would have thought all points etc set by others !!

But yes, if this is not so I am clueless regarding complexity of train driving.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Would anyone have a clue what chance I'll have getting home to Worthing from Victoria on Thursday evening? Will probably just leave the office about 4ish and just hope for the best that some train can kinda get me nearish home.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Would anyone have a clue what chance I'll have getting home to Worthing from Victoria on Thursday evening? Will probably just leave the office about 4ish and just hope for the best that some train can kinda get me nearish home.

Who knows. You will get home but could run fine, could end up taking 3 hours.

Trains were fine yesterday but absolute shite today. Hourly Victoria service was cancelled from Worthing 10mins before due to arrive. Get to Brighton and now on a 4 carriage service ! Already busy having only just left

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

So the only option is to do nothing and put up with this for the next couple of years?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
anyone found out why ASLEF have gone on strike over this DOO rollout, but not all the previous ones?

Because the roll out is going to happen on routes that they have signed off as safe. The company are signing routes off that drivers do not feel are safe. The reasons for this being the equipment on the trains (primarily the 377s I think that are on the coastway routes), the nature of the stations on the platform (ie no staff, shape of platform etc).

One would assume that this means that total repsonsibility for any accident on these stations would then fall squarely on the shoulders of the driver and they are not happy about it.

Where the drivers feel it is safe, they have signed off on it. The roll out appears to be totally imposed without any proper consuation with those at the sharp end of it. This is the result.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

That's all fine by me. So it takes a year to get in place enough drivers who are willing to work. I can live with that if it means that we finally see an end to this current debacle.

The low pass rate is irrelevant if there are lots applying for each position. Let's get the ball rolling now.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Oddly enough, looks like the Uckfield to London service is running just fine. All on schedule as per normal from what National Rail site is saying.

Have to wonder how they're managing to run an as-normal service on the minor line, but so shambolically chaotic on the line that's going to get all the press attention. Does make you wonder if it is down to Southern manipulating things as has been alleged recently.

Just hoping the Uckfield line remains solid on Thursday. It's the only day I need it...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think they have simply given up posting timetables. Last week on the live update board at Preston Park it was just empty. No trains were running on time or were just not turning up. Not even a strike day. After about an hour of nothing a message went up saying they are only posting updates on services running to schedule. Then the board went blank again and never returned. Outstanding.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Who knows. You will get home but could run fine, could end up taking 3 hours.

Trains were fine yesterday but absolute shite today. Hourly Victoria service was cancelled from Worthing 10mins before due to arrive. Get to Brighton and now on a 4 carriage service ! Already busy having only just left

Already got a mate on back up to pick me up from somewhere as I'm dreading last second cancellations and just general carnage. I just need to get out of London and south enough!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That's all fine by me. So it takes a year to get in place enough drivers who are willing to work. I can live with that if it means that we finally see an end to this current debacle.

The low pass rate is irrelevant if there are lots applying for each position. Let's get the ball rolling now.

You haven't a clue, it would take more like TEN years to replace all drivers if they could which they can't

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Already got a mate on back up to pick me up from somewhere as I'm dreading last second cancellations and just general carnage. I just need to get out of London and south enough!

Not sure where in Worthing you are but last week I got a train to Arundel and then a cab. Was only £17.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
anyone commute from ifield/Crawley to London Bridge?

No idea how to get to and from work this week? I guess Thameslink from Three Bridges but the ticket office at Ifield said no trains at all, staff at London Bridge this morning said there will b trains on the driver strike day but limited service.

No idea what if there will be a train??!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here