Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No panic signing of a striker

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are wrong about Middlesbro and Rhodes as he scored the goals that earned them valuable points to get them promoted and they will hope to sell him on even at a slight loss as he has repaid the fee by contributing to earning them the £180m for promotion. I do wonder about a month loan for a young striker from a premier club to get over Tuesday and Saturday with an option to extend it for the remainder of the season if we want. I dont know if that is possible rather than try to shoehorn one of our wide men into a no 10 role.

It wasn't goals scored that cost us last season, but goals conceded. You know that, as I've posted it many times before. We scored the most goals in the season along with Burnley, and more than Boro.

Team
GP
W
D
L
GF
GA
GD
PTS

Burnley FC

Middlesbrough

Brighton

Hull City

Derby County

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I dont think that is what is being said as we needed a striker last season eg GM but for whatever reason we didnt get one and it areguably cost us promotion

I agree GM would probably have got us promoted last year, but the fact still remains, we were joint top scorers in the league..... Fine margins...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Being top scorers meant nothing as had we scored perhaps 1 or 2 more goals that may have given us 1 or 2 more points . The same could be said about conceding 1 or 2 less so a little pointless really as it is all hypothetical.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed. WE NEVER get in the players we need in January.

Apart form Leo Ulloa when we were short of a striker under Gus.

And Beram Kayal, two days after Hughton arrived and saw we were weak in midfield.

Oh, and Anthony Knockaert and Jiri Skalak last January when it looked like a lack of goals was a problem.

Literally, NEVER.

<< deleted as made same points as earlier in the thread..!.>>

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The point is signing Rhodes was justified as he scored some goals and they got promoted with the points those goals achieved. Nobody can say whether or not they would have still scored them without him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The point is signing Rhodes was justified as he scored some goals and they got promoted with the points those goals achieved. Nobody can say whether or not they would have still scored them without him.

They got the same points as us. We scored more goals than them.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
This, with bells on. IMHO the striker shortage issue should have been sorted out before the window had even opened. This situation should never have happened and it's not hindsight either. Been saying it since the summer. Not good enough by the club.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Hand-wringing, bed-wetting, moaning-minnie, headless-chicken, told-you-so, I-know-****-all-about-our-club-recruitment-but-I-know-better-than-them alert.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
And Matthew Upson. And Steve Sidwell.

We're shit at this January transfer window thing

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

And probably the two January signings which started this whole journey - CALDERON and Painter when Poyet saw our full backs were shocking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
We have a squad! We have other players chomping at the bit to get some game time and prove themselves. If called upon they won't let us down

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
a. Ulloa wasn't signed '10 years' ago. He was signed under the current regime.

b. Why would I do an analysis focusing on strikers only? What's important is to sign what is needed at the time. Two years ago that was a strong midfielder, and we got Kayal. A year ago we were short of goals, signed AK and JS and ended up top scorers in the league. This year, of course, it IS a striker we need. And I'm confident we'll get one.
Because my comment which you replied too was about strikers only.

It's a problem position for us. See panic signing Stephen Debbie who wasn't even a striker.

The amount of deadline days we've spent not getting the man in is mental - as above, it happened last year when BZ was crocked.

We're good at every other position on the pitch bar that one. Spanish Rod anyone?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Like when we failed to get a striker in before the loan window to replace BZ and had to play the end of the season with no cover for Hemed?

Zamora was starting games through February.

I don't think you can plan to replace an injured player more than a month before his injury?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Re Hughton's quote about not panic-buying.

Do we think that, if we did have somebody in the pipeline, he or anybody else within the Albion would be telling us all about it at this point?

I do think it's funny that the club have a rolling news feed thing set up on Twitter to help us keep pace with the frenzied transfer window activity though (so far: a couple out and a bunch of DS signings coming in). That's almost as good as that The Leeds United official account that trolled all their fans on deadline day a couple of seasons back :lol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'll have to seriously consider recalling O'Grady if we don't bring in another striker.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We'll have to seriously consider recalling O'Grady if we don't bring in another striker.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lolol:

Wait...you were joking, weren't you?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Given that the current hierarchy has guided the club to the automatic promotion places in one of the most competitive leagues in the world, why do some people on this board think they know better what is needed? Or – for that matter – say with some authority what's going on within the club?

I'm not really having a go, just GENUINELY interested in the thought process of what they know that Chris, Tony and the recruitment team are missing out on. Personally the SQUAD is terrific, but then, what do I know? :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here