Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No NYD football

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I used to love the struggle to get to football on NYD.

One particular fond memory was driving down to Torquay, stopping at the Arundel McDonalds to get breakfast and having to stop well before Chichester to vomit it all back up.

I note the Premier League have a full fixture list today - it doesn't seem right to have no real football focus today.

Was that the 96/97 season? When Phil Andrews netted the equaliser only for Garry Nelson to break Albion hearts minutes from full time. It was ****ing freezing that day too.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Really much rather play today than an evening match in February or March , can't remember last time we did not have a match on New Years Day

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Happy memories of beating Leyton Orient 5-0 at Withdean. the chap who had their season ticket next to mine managed to miss every goal bar one by going to the loo/ leaving early and arriving back late from half time

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was that the 96/97 season? When Phil Andrews netted the equaliser only for Garry Nelson to break Albion hearts minutes from full time. It was ****ing freezing that day too.

That sounds about right. I remember the freezing bit, not the score.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Having a full fixture list on Boxing Day and no FL on New Years Day is probably the most moronic thing the football authorities have done. Surprised supporters groups weren't more vocal in criticising it. How difficult would it have been to move the Boxing Day programme to today? Give you a clue football authorities: the reason hundreds of thousands of fans don't go to games on Boxing Day is that there are no virtually trains running anywhere in the country. New Years Day, on the other hand, has a full train service. So which of the two days to they schedule the games for? Fecking eejits.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Hmmm. So there was no real reason the cup games couldn't have happened today, then played league games on (say) Sunday. Just seems a shame, that's all.

Hope Gus Poyet can cope with games on Thursday AND Sunday, & it's not too disgusting for him.

I agree. Having so games on the Sunday & Monday just adds another nail in the FA Cup coffin.

Hull at Arsenal for 5.30pm on the Sunday meaning around 3k Hull fans will have to travel back from London around 8/8.30pm on a Sunday night, aswell as Burnley v Spurs on a Monday night at 8pm, with the last train back to London being 20 minutes in the game. The reason being they didn't want Spurs & United playing so close to eachother on the same day, when they could've drawn Accrington Stanley. Utter joke.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I miss NYD football. As regards to this years 3rd round of the FA cup its spread across 5 days! Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, Monday night and Tuesday night!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Having a full fixture list on Boxing Day and no FL on New Years Day is probably the most moronic thing the football authorities have done. Surprised supporters groups weren't more vocal in criticising it. How difficult would it have been to move the Boxing Day programme to today? Give you a clue football authorities: the reason hundreds of thousands of fans don't go to games on Boxing Day is that there are no virtually trains running anywhere in the country. New Years Day, on the other hand, has a full train service. So which of the two days to they schedule the games for? Fecking eejits.

Disagree. I think there would have been much more criticism of no Boxing Day football than no NYD football. No footy today is odd but I can deal with it. No footy on Boxing Day would be hideous.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I hate New Years Day football. The atmosphere is usually dreadful.

Boxing day footy, on the other hand, is an institution.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ah, gone are the days of footie on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, and three games in 4 days over Easter. Footballers today, eh?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep seems odd having no game on New Year's Day.

I recall going to Notts County many moons ago feeling rather rough. God knows why we were playing them on New Years Day. Not exactly local.

I went to that one. I'd been out the night before with a certain P Canning. He turned up for our minibus still wearing his paper hat that we'd been given in the pub we saw New Year in. Paddy the driver greeted him in his thickest Irish accent "there's nothing worse in the morning than a f***ing taxman in a crown"

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Given my current rather sorry state I'm mightily relieved there isn't a game today!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I used to love the struggle to get to football on NYD.

One particular fond memory was driving down to Torquay, stopping at the Arundel McDonalds to get breakfast and having to stop well before Chichester to vomit it all back up.

I note the Premier League have a full fixture list today - it doesn't seem right to have no real football focus today.

Yep, I remember that game. By then Albion fans had already taken-up the "Stand-Up/Sit-Down If You Hate..." but we were directing our hatred towards Bill Archer at the time.

We were in the seats at the time and it was a bitterly cold so we started jumping up and down began singing "Jump Around If You Hate Archer" and for some reason the chant took hold...It was continually sung until Dick Knight finally took over!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here