Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Minutes Silence

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Kempo

Nov 3, 2012
a working mens club (or some other northern-type establishment) in a pit town close to middlesbrough are holding a party on the day of her funeral

doubt a minutes silence would've gone down to well on saturday anyway....she was never the most popular in the north east

They could have a lovely debate on how their trade union closed their pit down.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Never thought I'd say this....

Well done the FA. Any news is promotion so ignoring keeps her dead.

saintSeagull

Aug 13, 2003
Not happy when anyone is dead. BUT I would not respect a minute's silence for Thatcher.

What is it with these minutes silences anyway?

Unless its to do with Football in some way then take them somewhere else.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Enforced Silence / Applause rituals should not be encouraged at football, a few years ago they seemed almost weekly.

Perhaps ok for a major royal, or a 9/11 type event, and no doubt we'll get one for Mandela, but really, the fewer the better I feel.

Last edited:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
On balance, I believe she was a good Prime Minister but I'm not going to get into a debate with anyone about it.

I do, however, believe that a minute's silence would have been totally inappropriate.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I know lots about you.

1) You've named yourself after a programming language
2) You follow geeky stuff on twitter
3) You are 27 - too young to even remember Thatcher in power
4) I can see your previous posts on here

You don't need to be sherlock holmes to know that you're not going to start full on confrontation in front of thousands of people at the Amex. I'm not making any sort of judgement, I'm just highlighting the futile nature of your bravado.

Equally pathetic.

P.S Don't think I'm some kind of thatcher lover, I'm too young to have lived through and appreciated the pros and cons of her tenure. As far as I'm concerned I'm neutral - she did some good things and some bad things and I can see why people hate her. I just find it a bit nauseating the way some on here see being anti-thatcher as a badge of honour and are now taking part in a game of see who can make idle threats to prove they REALLY disliked her. "Yeah man, I physically wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut"

It was never in a million years going to happen. If any of you are unable to accept that others might have a different opinion to you, then you really need to grow up.

I love everything about this post, especially the "you follow geeky stuff on Twitter" :lolol:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Its guaranteed to encourage booing in many parts of the country, and that would not give it any dignity. Im not sorry she has gone by any stretch, but at the end of the day, she was a British leader, and to have her boo'd up and down the country in the media glare would be a bit crass, and embarrassing when shown around the world. Ill be honest, and say I celebrated last night.

no, it would be brilliant and would show the world we are not a bunch of sheep blindly paying respect to someone who had a better global image to the one at home.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Equally pathetic.

P.S Don't think I'm some kind of thatcher lover, I'm too young to have lived through and appreciated the pros and cons of her tenure. As far as I'm concerned I'm neutral - she did some good things and some bad things and I can see why people hate her. I just find it a bit nauseating the way some on here see being anti-thatcher as a badge of honour and are now taking part in a game of see who can make idle threats to prove they REALLY disliked her. "Yeah man, I physically wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut"

It was never in a million years going to happen. If any of you are unable to accept that others might have a different opinion to you, then you really need to grow up.

well thank you for your opinion. As I have said I would refuse to observe a silence in tribute to the woman's legacy so would rather remove myself from the arena for its duration. In my book that is exercising personal choice AND respect for others' opinions.
FWIW Iattended rallies in support of the miners and car workers and protested actively against the poll tax. As to her legacy, I lost a fair proportion of my pension pot to the greed of the banking community. Do you really want me to stay in the stadium and demonstrate my "respect"? I am sure there are many of ike mind.

I do wonder though, if tory party donors like Whelan and Madjeski insist on a silence will they respect the views of those who refuse to observe it or are they going to send the stewards in to remove and ban them? Would that perhaps be an appropriate underlining of the values of thatcherism? She was after all renowned for refusing to acknowledge opposition.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I know lots about you.

1) You've named yourself after a programming language
2) You follow geeky stuff on twitter
3) You are 27 - too young to even remember Thatcher in power
4) I can see your previous posts on here

You don't need to be sherlock holmes to know that you're not going to start full on confrontation in front of thousands of people at the Amex. I'm not making any sort of judgement, I'm just highlighting the futile nature of your bravado.

Equally pathetic.

really if you are too young then :shutup: and if I could get to the Amex nothing and nobody who shut me up if they wrongly decided to
have a minutes silence.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
really if you are too young then :shutup: and if I could get to the Amex nothing and nobody who shut me up if they wrongly decided to
have a minutes silence.

A minutes booing or shouting **** off Thatcher or ding dong the witch is dead would sound good.

Keep the mealy mouthed stuff for the politicians she did nothing good for football, in fact if she got her way large numbers of football fans would have been criminalised for going to football games.

Remember this woman wanted anyone who wanted to go to football to be on a register, no just turn up and go you would need proof you had registered to go to football.

"The ID scheme, as proposed by an Act of Parliament, would make it an imprisonable offence to attempt to attend to a football match without requisite ID"

Sorry it is inappropriate that we are being forced to pay for the Tory funeral party political broadcast, even more so would be any minutes silence at football. But then I would totally disrespect any tribute to this woman at any event let alone football.

She did not show any respect to football fans why the hell should football fans show any to her? If people want to show their respect they have ample opportunity to do this already.

This not aimed at you Glasfryn just used your post to highlight I think lack of respect is the right course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here