[Albion] No Fulham red card

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I bloody hope MOTD2 picks this up tonight. Definite red, and when is a ref finally going to give away teams who are obviously playing for a draw yellow cards for constantly feigning injury and wasting time. The most obvious today was Bernd Leno wasting about 5 mins with cramp and then miraculously leaping up to take goal kicks with no problem. Fulham have a track record of this anti-football at The Amex, and unfortunately it works for them...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I bloody hope MOTD2 picks this up tonight. Definite red, and when is a ref finally going to give away teams who are obviously playing for a draw yellow cards for constantly feigning injury and wasting time. The most obvious today was Bernd Leno wasting about 5 mins with cramp and then miraculously leaping up to take goal kicks with no problem. Fulham have a track record of this anti-football at The Amex, and unfortunately it works for them...
They won’t. It will get no publicity at all. I’m pretty certain MoTD will make it seem like a totally different game than it was.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No it was definitely before he scored, I forget the exact minute! Or the half..or even the day!
Oh ffs - makes it even harder to take. Utter farce.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
7657646.gif
It was bad enough seeing it 'live' on a stream, but how the hell nothing whatsoever was given for that is utterly scandalous. VAR should hang their heads in shame.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
I just looked up the laws and you are correct, “dangerous play” isn’t necessarily a red.

But serious foul play is, and I believe the elbow on Gross satisfies the conditions below.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
Also only joking about the laughing stock
Was a bit rude of me and hope no offence taken

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also only joking about the laughing stock
Was a bit rude of me and hope no offence taken
:thumbsup:

I did think it was a slightly harsh reply, but no offense was taken.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Putting aside this incident why can’t a ref actually control a game anymore? Time after time week after week you have players diving and feigning injury and the ref does absolutely nothing.
I go to football to watch actual football not what ever Fulham were doing without the ref doing anything about it.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
Putting aside this incident why can’t a ref actually control a game anymore? Time after time week after week you have players diving and feigning injury and the ref does absolutely nothing.
I go to football to watch actual football not what ever Fulham were doing without the ref doing anything about it.

Totally agree. The ref today was not in control of the match at any point. He allowed Fulham to take charge of how it would be played and at what pace.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It took 47 minutes for Salisbury to give us a free kick. He should never ref us again
The club should "do a klipperty", talk about nothing else for the next week and request that the match is replayed. Maybe Webb will be shamed into taking action then, rather than sending PBOBE another letter to frame and hang on his wall.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In fairness, when a player claims injury there is not a lot that can be done unless it is obvious they are pretending. A lot of extra time was added.

I sensed the ref was getting a bit frustrated with Fulham's antics in the second half and the cards came out for other stuff.

They did this last time and it is a bit ugly to watch when it's excessive like this.

As for the VAR thing, it defies belief. I can't get my head round that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How on earth does a keeper get cramp?

i understand the referee should only stop the game if it’s a head injury.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Excruciatingly awful performance from the ref. Lets not forget this the Spurs VAR official. Obviously the red which he didn't even give a free kick for but terrible terrible decisions for both sides throughout. A couple of very obvious fouls for Fulham were given our way and he simply couldn't decide whether to stop the game for an injury or not. One of the very very worst.
Yep. Countless wrong decisions. Awarding us a corner when we clearly had the last touch. Missing a Dahoud hand ball. No bias there, just utter, utter uselessness.

But it was the VAR officials that missed the elbow in the face.

Why bother watching football when the officials don't do their job properly? When it comes to deliberate injuries, there are safeguarding issues. VAR has a responsibility to get it right. The non-use of VAR is the biggest problem for me at the moment.

Perhaps those who keep squealing for it to be binned should shut the f*** up, and instead get behind making the VAR rubric better. If there is still an undercurrent groundswell to bin VAR it will never improve.

This reminds me of our role in the EU. Can't be arsed to engage with Europe? Surprised when we don't get it all our way? I know, let's flounce out of the EU! That will work! And we only went and did it. FFS.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep. Countless wrong decisions. Awarding us a corner when we clearly had the last touch. Missing a Dahoud hand ball. No bias there, just utter, utter uselessness.

But it was the VAR officials that missed the elbow in the face.

Why bother watching football when the officials don't do their job properly? When it comes to deliberate injuries, there are safeguarding issues. VAR has a responsibility to get it right. The non-use of VAR is the biggest problem for me at the moment.

Perhaps those who keep squealing for it to be binned should shut the f*** up, and instead get behind making the VAR rubric better. If there is still an undercurrent groundswell to bin VAR it will never improve.

This reminds me of our role in the EU. Can't be arsed to engage with Europe? Surprised when we don't get it all our way? I know, let's flounce out of the EU! That will work! And we only went and did it. FFS.

:facepalm:
I feel the same way. I pay good money to watch my team play only for useless referees to ignore the basic rules of football and mess up their decisions.
Why are there assistant referees nowadays? Once upon a time, they would wave their flag vigorously to alert the ref to fouls, but now all they do is indicate throw ins, goal kicks or corners, and that, only after the ref has told them.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I feel the same way. I pay good money to watch my team play only for useless referees to ignore the basic rules of football and mess up their decisions.
Why are there assistant referees nowadays? Once upon a time, they would wave their flag vigorously to alert the ref to fouls, but now all they do is indicate throw ins, goal kicks or corners, and that, only after the ref has told them.
In no way defending referees (heaven forbid),before the game, in my experience as a manager, they will brief the linos what he will give....exactly as you describe above.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In no way defending referees (heaven forbid),before the game, in my experience as a manager, they will brief the linos what he will give....exactly as you describe above.
So, if the assistant ref sees the forearm smash, he keeps schtum, because he’s been told throw ins, and corners?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports