Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No clean sheets so far this season

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Missing Caicedo and MacA.

It got masked by final scores … Luton first half carved open our right, Bmuff took us apart for 45 and should’ve scored more.

Dunk and Veltman the only defenders who’ve been class almost every game.
Wolves could’ve easily been level or ahead with their 2 decent chances. I recall saying on here after the first two 4-1 wins they were flattering scores so always thought it was papered over a little…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wolves could’ve easily been level or ahead with their 2 decent chances. I recall saying on here after the first two 4-1 wins they were flattering scores so always thought it was papered over a little…

I didn’t see any of the Wolves games but football writers reckoned Wolves had several clear cut chances first half.

Nice to be on the reverse of what used to happen to us under Potter.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
In a word no! We are going to have to get used to the keeper rotation. And all the Bart fans need to remember the Bournemouth and Liverpool errors before they start demanding that Steele should be relegated to a definitive no.2
The thing is, Verbruggen is better at the goalkeeping side of being a goalkeeper. Steele has had much more time to become accustomed to RDZ’s style, yes he’s good with his feet but he doesn’t actually save that many shots.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looks like RDZ may be seeking to emulate the feats of the wondrous CMS-era Peterborough 😀

'Peterborough finally finished 4th in 2010–11 with one of the worst defensive records in the third tier, conceding 75 goals, but scoring 106; the most for anybody in the Football League that season'
I'm IN!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We'll beat Ajax on Thursday, whilst keeping a clean sheet. I feel it in my waters 💧
Ajax....clean.....see what you did, there.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We had a big thread about this before. I'm not arsed at all. What's the best we've done with loads of clean sheets in a season?

It's the De Zerbi way - we knew it was going to be like this...
Precisely. And with time we getter better players, better used to the requirements, onwards and upwards.

I must say I have been impressed with Villa this season. And yet.....I don't really enjoy watching them. Their manager is very smart, though. Not sure where I'm going with this....other than to say I'm happy.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Potter eventually found the balance, his last 15 games saw 16 goals conceded and 7 clean sheets. Yep, he had Caicedo, Mac Allister and Bissouma available for much of that, but more fundamentally he had managed to solved the issue of us conceding goals on the break, of defenders chasing the ball rather than marking runners, that we had for the first half of Potter's tenure and so far under RDZ. Would be nice to get that back because a lot of these goals conceded are keystone cops.

Conceding on the break is a weakness, but perhaps more worrying is how many goals are being conceded by misplaced passes out from the back, or loose control while doing so, you can identify that in so many of the goals conceded these days, and that's supposed to be our strength.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Kalimantan Gull said:
Potter eventually found the balance, he had Caicedo, Mac Allister and Bissouma
Do you really think its as simple as that @Napper ? I like to think there was coaching involved, with a good balance between attack and defence. The goals conceded was an issue under RDZ last season too.

Aside from tactics, I think RDZ' style of play requires an amazing shot-stopping goalkeeper, because there are going to be a number of gilt-edged chances provided. Take Haaland's on Saturday, a very well struck shot yes, but way outside the area and a good foot inside the post. I fancy most tall shot-stopping keepers would have fancied themselves to tip that round the post. It was just one error from Baleba, the only glaring error from a midfielder in the match, and bang, goal.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’m much more concerned that we haven’t won a game since Bournemouth TBH
We've played Chelsea away, villa away (thrashed yeah but won about a million home games in a row), Marseille away, Liverpool and City. Hardly cause for concern that we didn't win any of those and got draws v marseille and Liverpool

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Missing Caicedo and MacA.

It got masked by final scores … Luton first half carved open our right, Bmuff took us apart for 45 and should’ve scored more.

Dunk and Veltman the only defenders who’ve been class almost every game.
I've seen this a lot, and firmly disagree. Veltman has been excellent, but Dunk is far from his imperious best at the moment. Maybe it's because he's covering for a completely different three players around him every match, maybe he's tiring from being the only player who plays every match, maybe it's because he has a different keeper behind him every two matches, but in the last few matches:

- he drifted away from Alvarez to leave him with a gallon of space to score City's 1st,
- gave the ball away cheaply for the Liverpool first,
- made the error for the Marseille second and
- been central in a defence that shifted 6 vs Villa.

Now let me be clear, Dunk is our best defender. He's fantastic as a captain and a leader but his best performances of late have been for England, not for us.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't feel I can blame any of our defenders individually for the goals we're conceding. The manager is asking them to play risky passes then defend half way up the pitch. Things are obviously going to go wrong and we'll concede.

To me, it's the lack, of cover from midfield (when the oppo counter) and to a lesser extent, from the wingers that is a cause for concern.

We've sold who we've sold and there's no point going back there and I think Baleba is a positive in there as he can cover ground and make a tackle and the situational awareness will come.

Here's my solution. Pascal Gross, brilliant player and very fit, but not quick enough to offer effective cover. We should move him into the attacking line. Kind of like MacAllister did for us last season. Pedro moves out wide to compete with Adingra and Mitoma. Gilmour comes into the midfield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here