Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Night coppers

scooter1

How soon is now?
Watched this for the first time last night. When they got to the ending summary, not one person got charged.
Whilst I take my hat off to somebody doing that job, because I know I couldn’t, it runs like an advert as a good reason to stay away from Brighton on a weekend evening

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Some of these coppers look like theyve barely come out of nappies. Is this represenatative in the city so many young coppers?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Watched this for the first time last night. When they got to the ending summary, not one person got charged.
Whilst I take my hat off to somebody doing that job, because I know I couldn’t, it runs like an advert as a good reason to stay away from Brighton.
Brevity, dear boy, brevity.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Watched the 27th July episode and couldn't believe how many police there are on the street in both West St and Kings Road. My closed shops featured every 5 minutes mainly because of problems at the all night Burger King, the 24 hour off licences or on the street. And yet during the day can I get police to help with shoplifters, drunken idiots, homeless and trouble makers in general - no I cant.
That 'section 35' (may have got the number wrong) where they can tell someone to get out of town NOW. Why cant they use that when I have a group of youths causing trouble? Instead I get told no one is available to come to my aid.
Drunks pushing prams. Happens every day with Mum & Dad walking with cans in their hands.
As for balloon selling drugies with Nitrous Oxide, they openly walk the streets selling the balloons. Fact, if you see a guy with a 'pump' and balloons he is obviously selling drugs but as the police don't exsist they know they can just sell them in the open.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As for balloon selling drugies with Nitrous Oxide,

[emoji23] out of all the drug use and taking you can see every day in Brighton, it’s the laughing gas ‘druggies’ that bothers you ?! (And yes the discarding of the metal discharge things is terrible)

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Caught up on this program last night. Usual old twaddle. Making out all we do in Brighton is drink and piss up against things.

I was genuinely, genuinely shocked at how immature some of these coppers are. Not just age wise. They’re idiots. I only hope that the clowns that agreed to be filmed are not representative of the force as a whole.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Some of these coppers look like theyve barely come out of nappies. Is this represenatative in the city so many young coppers?

Probably all the older wiser cops have finally had enough of the abuse, general disrepect and lack of confidence from the general public and thier communities, coupled with the constant negativity and lies peddled in the press about them, that they've thown in the towel and gone to do other things.

Been replaced with loads of youngsters who've grown up wanting to join the police and all starry eyed. They used to get told to go away and get a bit of life experience (the exact words i was told at 19 years old when i applied to Sussex Police). Now they are so short of numbers they can't do that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Probably all the older wiser cops have finally had enough of the abuse, general disrepect and lack of confidence from the general public and thier communities, coupled with the constant negativity and lies peddled in the press about them, that they've thown in the towel and gone to do other things.

Been replaced with loads of youngsters who've grown up wanting to join the police and all starry eyed. They used to get told to go away and get a bit of life experience (the exact words i was told at 19 years old when i applied to Sussex Police). Now they are so short of numbers they can't do that.

I agree. No more height requirements, Tattoos and beards are allowed too. I've had hipster cops turn up to help with things at work. They simply do not command respect. They look like a stag do fancy dress party.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Yesterday's news

Record number of police officers quit with Boris Johnson’s flagship 20,000 pledge in danger

An officer speaking to The Independent anonymously likened the situation to a “bucket with holes in the bottom”, as forces work to get more and more new recruits through the door to replace the experienced officers departing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boris-johnson-police-uplift-recruitment-b2132408.html

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would genuinely rather deal with something myself than risk having one of those wally's turning up. They bigger ones act like poorly trained bouncers and I wouldn't trust the younger ones with a shopping list.

Listening to them trying to reason with louts was painful. Put them on the floor or go and get someone who can. If you fanny about with them you'll get punched in the face. See?

And again, when they are trying to empathise with the people with mental health issues, painful to watch. It's clear their training is severely lacking.

Big lad was itching to Taser the guy who wanted to dive off the car park roof. His partner didn't even know the procedure for tasering someone. The trained negotiator turned up and resolved it without electrocuting the bugger. It beggars belief.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Watched the 27th July episode and couldn't believe how many police there are on the street in both West St and Kings Road. My closed shops featured every 5 minutes mainly because of problems at the all night Burger King, the 24 hour off licences or on the street. And yet during the day can I get police to help with shoplifters, drunken idiots, homeless and trouble makers in general - no I cant.
That 'section 35' (may have got the number wrong) where they can tell someone to get out of town NOW. Why cant they use that when I have a group of youths causing trouble? Instead I get told no one is available to come to my aid.
Drunks pushing prams. Happens every day with Mum & Dad walking with cans in their hands.
As for balloon selling drugies with Nitrous Oxide, they openly walk the streets selling the balloons. Fact, if you see a guy with a 'pump' and balloons he is obviously selling drugs but as the police don't exsist they know they can just sell them in the open.

That must be incredibly frustrating but presumably there simply aren't enough officers to maintain that sort of presence in the day as well as at night, when most of the dangerous crimes are committed.

There was a ludicrous preview of this programme in the Guardian a few weeks back which was so disparaging of the police generally it attracted lots of adverse comment. Basically saying that no-one should care about all the *** they take because they deserve it. Like all football fans, I've had my fair share of irritating encounters with them through the years but I simply can't understand that lack of respect. Most are fine.

The ones on the programme seem to be trying to do a good job against the odds, spending much of their time as de facto social workers to plug the gaping holes in that system. I'm amazed at their patience in some of the situations, rather than being shocked when it escalates to an arrest. I suppose they'll never be universally liked but where would be without the police?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here