Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Kennadyvon the Proms

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Come on now. Some rather churlish remarks on here (some good ones too). Bringing some of the more obscure music to the masses for decades and helping people connect to it that would not normally. He is clearly respected in the industry too. Apart from the rather prim harpist who kept losing her place when he went off piste tomight, the rest of the orchestra were clearly enjoying the moment and the fact that they were essentially duelling with a master. The roar from the Hall and the Jasetheace household said it all.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Come on now. Some rather churlish remarks on here (some good ones too). Bringing some of the more obscure music to the masses for decades and helping people connect to it that would not normally. He is clearly respected in the industry too. Apart from the rather prim harpist who kept losing her place when he went off piste tomight, the rest of the orchestra were clearly enjoying the moment and the fact that they were essentially duelling with a master. The roar from the Hall and the Jasetheace household said it all.

Well said

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Never been a fan of him, personality wise, & he looked like a tramp as usual tonight, but oh my word, that performance was sublime.

Coming from someone who's never heard that (Vaughan Williams) piece before.

Ralph lived near Horsham, he was a bit of a war hero too. Well worth scouring Youtube for more of his stuff.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
This is a nice version.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He is, but also (in my opinion at least) a bit of a ****.

He seems a rather talented eccentric to me and having read a lengthy piece of him I really like his approach to life which is totally on his terms and not too serious. I would much prefer it if we had more people like him.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In 1989, initially not knowing who he was, I spent a train journey chatting with Nigel Kennedy from Liverpool to London. When I told him I was an Albion fan he said he had always regarded them as his second team and spoke fondly of relations who lived near the Goldstone Ground.

Can't remember much beyond that because he bought me a few beers and we both got rather pickled. Smashing bloke.

Great story!

Sitting outside a London pub with my Albion shirt on, saw him walking past to a big car waiting for him. Greased by Fosters, I greeted him; his eyes lit up with a "Alright mate?", and he turned back towards me, until some woman from the car shouted "Nigel", whereupon he shrugged apologetically and left.

Doesn't sound like the actions of a w****r to me.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I've just seen last night's performance on the iplayer & it was an absolute blast. The world is all the better for characters: & Nigel Kennedy is a brilliantly gifted one. I've never heard anybody who's met him have any bad things to say about him, so I don't know why a few goons on here choose to slag him off & dismiss him as a tosser. Perhaps it allows them the opportunity to forget about their low self-opinion for a few moments?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
That performane last night was magnificent.

I saw him years ago at The Mayflower in Southampton. The first half of the show was a superb version of Four Seasons, then he got the electric violin out and the second half was a load of Jimi Hendrix covers. Also superb.

But a bit weird.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is a nice version.

This is my most watched video on my iPod. The always brings a tear to my eye....almost a simile for the passing of youth and the ageing off our life. The last 12 bars are some of the most beautiful sublime music ever written IMHO

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
In an interview just now he was saying he now lives in Poland was intrested to findout why and looked him up on the web only to find he was born in Brighton then he walks on stage in an Aston Villa shirt but could not see the connection wounded if he has any Albion loyalty not WBA obviously

i was at hyde park last night - he was amazing especially the duet he did with a fifteen year old lad

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
When I met him in 1989 he had his girlfriend 'Brix' with him. She was a musician too, although I never found out if she was well known. The thing is, In my broadcasting work I've often met 'famous' people and been totally ignorant of who they are. I tend to find they like that. Nigel Kennedy was the finest example. I don't know why people launch such vitriol at people who they have never met. I guess the internet helps those with inferiority complexes really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here