[Albion] Nicolás González

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

albionite

May 20, 2009
The guy who played for Sweden the other night.
Isaak?

When I look at strikers I like to see if they are composed when they shoot. Chris Woods would do a good job for you - would cost 30m but he would score goals.

Good luck with trying to buy isak for £25m without bigger clubs getting there first. Patson daka and Edouard are also going for under £20m,. When clubs like Liverpool and Leicester are interested we don’t stand a chance.

Ah just noticed you are a dirty Leeds fan, what do you care if there are better players out there for us at £25m. Is it because Leeds were hoping to buy him?

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Isaak?

When I look at strikers I like to see if they are composed when they shoot. Chris Woods would do a good job for you - would cost 30m but he would score goals.

Brighton's business model does not allow for spending a record transfer fee for a player with no sell on value. Chris Wood is soon to be thirty. Gonzalez is only 23. One of them gives a possibility of us making our money back, or even a profit, one of them definitely wouldn't. We would only be in the market for a 30+ year old if we're getting them on a free.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Isaak?

Isak. We should defer to Swanny on that. But I think if he were made available most top clubs in Europe would be interested. We couldn’t come close to competing on wages.

Chris Woods. So you would sanction a £30m bid for a striker approaching 30?

And why would Burnley sell him to a PL rival?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Personally this signing leaves me feeling flat. Yes it’s good to sign someone with potential but it’s another player who doesn’t know the premier league and frankly is a gamble. Our success ratio on that has been hit and miss.

"If we are going for a 25-26-year-old who is Premier League ready, I’d say two-thirds of the Premier League would be able to outbid us from a transfer fee and wages point of view."
Dan Ashworth - https://theathletic.com/2650407/202...tial-is-helping-keep-pace-with-richer-rivals/

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good luck with trying to buy isak for £25m without bigger clubs getting there first. Patson daka and Edouard are also going for under £20m,. When clubs like Liverpool and Leicester are interested we don’t stand a chance.

Dan Ashworth said similar this week. Essentially when it comes to our transfer budget / structure we are typically in the bottom 1/3rd of the league, hence why we look at potential and value rather than trying to compete with the top 2/3rds

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally this signing leaves me feeling flat. Yes it’s good to sign someone with potential but it’s another player who doesn’t know the premier league and frankly is a gamble. Our success ratio on that has been hit and miss.

Isn't everybody's hit and miss? Before signing for us Trossard, Webster, Maupay, Bissouma, Ryan, Gross, Mac Allister, Veltman, Moder and Propper didn't have Premier League experience. Yes, we've had some poor signings but I'd say our recruitment is improving every season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Isn't everybody's hit and miss? Before signing for us Trossard, Webster, Maupay, Bissouma, Ryan, Gross, Mac Allister, Veltman, Moder and Propper didn't have Premier League experience. Yes, we've had some poor signings but I'd say our recruitment is improving every season.

Honestly, aside from Locadia and AJ (only in terms of wages and fee)and not finding a striker, I think our recruitment has been amazing.

Lamptey
Veltman
Trossard
Maupay
Webster
Gross
Alzate
MacAllister
Moder
Bissouma

And experience with Lallana and Welbeck.

Most teams would be very happy with some of these players now.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Honestly, aside from Locadia and AJ (only in terms of wages and fee)and not finding a striker, I think our recruitment has been amazing.

Lamptey
Veltman
Trossard
Maupay
Webster
Gross
Alzate
MacAllister
Moder
Bissouma

Most teams would be very happy with some of these players now.

I couldn't agree more. Signing a striker is notoriously hard. Locadia was a failure, 100% but a cheaper failure than Joelinton and Haller for example. AJ was a failure because Hughton played him as basically a left win back and he never recovered. Our recruitment, given our budget, is superb.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Our recruitment has been extraordinarily successful over the last 5 years. Really, that extends to all levels of the club with youth players coming in as well. I think there's a very clear strategy, obvious future planning and a real understanding of the transfer market. It's been one of the real positives of the last few years, but every window presents a new challenge. We have quite a big squad at the moment so we could do with shipping a few out whilst also strengthening.

There's no doubt at all in my mind that the people involved in recruitment know exactly what they're doing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not sure if already posted.

Basically saying it’s a done deal and he’s joining after Copa America.

[tweet]1405163079181156357[/tweet]

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Any signing we make is going to be a gamble because, alas, we are not Man City, Man U or Liverpool.

And even theirs aren't guaranteed to succeed, Naby Keita and Donny Van de Beek cost about £90m combined.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, bear with me here.

If we do sing Speedy Gonzalez, is he the kind of striker we need?
I’m not disputing that he looks good and will be a good addition to the squad, I’m more interested in the fact we have agreed a club record ( reportedly) for a player who isn’t exactly what we need. If we do , in fact need a Murray type replacement, why splurge £20 million plus sizeable wages on a player who looks like a smallish upgrade on what we have, Trossard, MacAllister, and why do it so early in the window?

Unless, of course Uncle Tony is really going for top ten next season, and we have another incoming striker of the Murray kind in the pipeline.

I have had a feeling that we are going for it in a big way this window, and this could be just the start.

Alan Velasco next?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
So, bear with me here.

I’m not disputing that he looks good and will be a good addition to the squad, I’m more interested in the fact we have agreed a club record ( reportedly) for a player who isn’t exactly what we need. If we do , in fact need a Murray type replacement, why splurge £20 million plus sizeable wages on a player who looks like a smallish upgrade on what we have, Trossard, MacAllister, and why do it so early in the window?

Unless, of course Uncle Tony is really going for top ten next season, and we have another incoming striker of the Murray kind in the pipeline.

I have had a feeling that we are going for it in a big way this window, and this could be just the start.

Alan Velasco next?

Spending early before we do a big deal out and then clubs know we have £50m in our pocket

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Spending early before we do a big deal out and then clubs know we have £50m in our pocket

Doesn’t really answer the question, if we need a Murray replacement, why sing an upgrade on Trossard? And so early if it the only big singing we’re going to make.
I read a thing somewhere on the economics of COVID, basically, the more money you had before the pandemic, the more you are likely to have now. Billionaires have come out of it quite well.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
Don't worry, White for £50 million, Biss for £50 million and Gross for £30 million, that's Gonzalez and the stadium paid for!
£30m for Gross? What's the net?

In theory, even not counting Biss and White (who one or both may stay) we have a ton of potential outgoings this window. And we spent very little last season.

So it would make sense we have a reasonable transfer pot.

I suppose we'd have a few players outgoing, I imagine Propper is going, so could clear up easily 50k or so a week, but maybe I'm just financially conservative. OR, just still not use to #teamslikebrighton spending cash..

WAG or HAB?

He can be what ever he wants to be.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
So, bear with me here.

Alan Velasco next?

Gonzalez is listed as 1.8m Murray 1.83m. An inch difference. Or are you worried he's too quick? :)

Did I take the word 'smallish' too literally? :lolol:

edit: Welbeck is 1.85m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports