Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nicolás González

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No rumour to speak of but if he is available I wonder if we will try to go back in for him if Leo leaves. Should be similar money to what we get for Leo and still young enough to sell for a profit should he come in and do well.

Plays left, right and down the middle. Decent in the air too. Personally I'd like a replacement with more experience, but if the club go with the youngsters then trust that they think we can keep this momentum up without the extra depth/experience.
Leicester rumoured to have had a £30m bid turned down. Too late for him at the Albion for that sort of money. We add value to a player, we don’t pay other teams over £20m in general.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Leicester rumoured to have had a £30m bid turned down. Too late for him at the Albion for that sort of money. We add value to a player, we don’t pay other teams over £20m in general.
That sounds about right. Our most expensive signing was Mwepu at 23m Euros (don't know what it was in GBP but not much more than the £20m we paid for Webster).

Why are we interested in Argentinians all of a sudden anyway? Have I missed something?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I do think we are getting to the point where we might start seeing the odd 30-50million signing. Take Gonzalez. Say we sign him undisclosed (or 40 million in reality). If he contributes to say 15 goals (scoring and assisting) and is in the Argentina squad on the reg, in two seasons he is worth well over that. In fact the moment he signs for us he is worth more than that. And we have supposedly offered way more than 20 million for the odd player in the last few seasons. I.e if we'd signed Nunez for 30 we could've been the ones selling him to Liverpool. Not always as huge a risk as it seems. Feel like for Bloom it's about return more than initial investment.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I don't think you can say on the one hand we signed a Championship CB for 20 odd million 3 years ago but on the other we wouldn't stretch to 30+ for an international class player now.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I do think we are getting to the point where we might start seeing the odd 30-50million signing. Take Gonzalez. Say we sign him undisclosed (or 40 million in reality). If he contributes to say 15 goals (scoring and assisting) and is in the Argentina squad on the reg, in two seasons he is worth well over that. In fact the moment he signs for us he is worth more than that. And we have supposedly offered way more than 20 million for the odd player in the last few seasons. I.e if we'd signed Nunez for 30 we could've been the ones selling him to Liverpool. Not always as huge a risk as it seems. Feel like for Bloom it's about return more than initial investment.
I agree with this, but with the caveat that wages would potentially be a stumbling block as £30-50m players are very likely to expect higher wages than our usual recruits.
Even without knowing exactly what our wage ceiling* is, it's logical to assume that it's one of the things that has stopped us getting deals for more expensive players through Tony's spreadsheet and into the 'YES' column.

*there probably isn't a hard 'ceiling' as such, but there will definitely be conversations & calculations around wage inflation across the squad if a wage we'd have to pay to sign someone is above a certain level (compared to others) and what that does to the wages:income ratio overall.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think you can say on the one hand we signed a Championship CB for 20 odd million 3 years ago but on the other we wouldn't stretch to 30+ for an international class player now.
Agree. Going to happen at some point.

Not sure mr Sicknote here will be the one though, but we'll see. By no means the least likely candidate if a new winger is brought in.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Agree. Going to happen at some point.

Not sure mr Sicknote here will be the one though, but we'll see. By no means the least likely candidate if a new winger is brought in.
I suppose it reinforces Mac’s bond with the club if we sign his bestie.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Mrs DiS says - or rather hope - he is on his way to Southampton.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Can you translate that. I'm guessing the Tony is Mr Bloom. What's VIC 20?
I think it's one of those computer jobbies they've got in Seaford Museum, underneath the Martello tower.

All this computing/data processing never took off did it? No good to man or beast.

Just imagine where the club would be now, if it were not for the time and money Tony Bloom has frittered away on computing power.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Can you translate that. I'm guessing the Tony is Mr Bloom. What's VIC 20?
images.jpg

Young Tony getting excited over Peter Smith...

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Fair play to Saints. If they sign Gonzalez after the Croation they've done pretty good business for a team stinking the league out. Money talks.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our first window without Winstanley and his Contact book not a lot has happened so far, one deal completed that was agreed a while back. Forfana was obviously a target will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The key indicate is value and re-sale value. Many U23's joining our squad will instantly increase in value and more so once they play Premier League minutes. Age is a big factor and we have only signed experienced players who will fit within the wage structure and provide us with a step in ability for that position.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here